Grateful Dead Giants Stadium 1987, 1989, 1991 Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Howard Bleach, Aug 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid Thread Starter

Figure this deserves a thread.

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli - the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Giants Stadium 1987, 1989, 1991 Boxed Set Grateful Dead

2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I assume the 87 show will not include the Dylan set.

3. Howard Bleach

That appears to be correct

4. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Unfortunately, no.

As I wrote on the Dead thread..

I went for Blu Ray.

At first I thought it was video of every show, but at least we get 6/17. I'm thrilled we'll have a new show on video, but I wish they'd start releasing a LOT more video of shows.

Sound quality of these shows, particularly the two from 91' should sound amazing from what Dave is explaining.

Now I'm not sure if I'll go tonight. Was planning to, but so tired today, now that I know I'll have it in a few months. may just wait on that.

Zafu

ARK, Crispy Rob, laf848 and 5 others like this.
  5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Hmm, not immediately in for this one. Someone convince me please!

Doggiedogma, ronbow and OE3 like this.
  6. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'd say that's an excellent assumption.

This is prime "I was there" material for me. I think I was at all 5 (definitely at 7-12-87, my second show).

Nearest theater to me tonight is 2.5 hours away. I can't justify a 5 hour round trip and a tank of gas. :-(

GuidedByJonO))) and Billy_Sunday like this.
  7. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Couldn't have possibly typed out my credit card information faster for this one. Can't wait.

ARK, laf848, Daedalus and 10 others like this.
  8. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

9. TerpStation

I bent over for it....likely will not get through it more than once per show...at most.....but you only go round once and you can't take it with you....

10. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

I was at the Giants Stadium shows from 91-93, and possibly 94, though I can’t find any ticket stubs for that year.

Anybody that went those years.....did you stay at that Sheraton that was across the highway? It was more or less walking distance, though you did have to cross a busy road.

They treated us Deadheads like crap there. Very disrespectful and un-helpful in general. Happy to take our money, though.

Anyway, anyone that stayed there might recall the huge front doors on the hotel. Really massive doors. Well, around 93 or so, some Deadheads must have had their fill of ill treatment from that Sheraton, because upon returning from the show, we saw those huge glass and steel doors smashed down, and broken. These were not the kinds of doors you could just kick and do damage to. Someone quite possibly backed a truck up to the front, and put some kind of ropes or chains around the doors, and hit the gas. At least that’s what we assumed.

Not that I’m advocating that kind of behavior, but after years of crappy treatment, *someone* had enough.

Not trying to hijack this thread, just wondering if anyone remembers that scene.

11. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I'm In.

Order # 137400000179714

I love the old stuff, sure. But I'm a Touch-head, so shows from the era really resonate with me in a certain way that the much older stuff does not.

Most of the circulating Horsnby era boards are so keyboard heavy that I have a hard time listening to them - too much keyboard, not enough Jerry. These are being mixed from the multitracks, so presumably they have tamed the 'too much keyboard' syndrome. I sure hope so! (well, on the 2 '91 shows anyway)

12. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Oh man, this is the set I’ve been waiting for for a while!!!
    And I’m glad they’re capping the set at 1991 because, at Giants Stadium, that’s when the tide creased and every year thereafter delivered diminished returns.

Crispy Rob, Erik B., SteveFff and 7 others like this.
  13. RayS

I was at the majority of the '87-'95 Giants Stadium shows, but I was a Jersey local, so no hotels for me. I can certainly relate to hotels treating Deadheads like crap though when I was visiting other cities.

14. Howard Bleach

Yeah, between PACNW and Dave's favoring of 70s shows (I know, I know...multitracks, blah blah blah), I've been at something of a 70s Dead saturation point, but I'm way in for this one

Erik B. and trd like this.
  15. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

But it sure would be nice to have enough left to make it to the finish line.

16. Dark_Star72

Dark_Star72 Forum Resident

Definitely like the selection. Also right in the sweet spot in terms of the amount of shows and price. Pre-ordered instantly now anxious to see the packaging.

17. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Yep.....could not be more thrilled with this release. Give us a Hampton '87 box next!

18. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

19. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Not for me but I think if you pay for the digital, you should be able to buy the videos

20. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Me too!!!!

21. RayS

'87 was Dylan closing
    '89 was Los Lobos opening (and hellacious rain between the opener and Set 1 the second night)
    '91 was Little Feat opening

22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Depending on the packaging (as well as the download price), for this one it feels like downloads plus a physical blu-ray would be a nice option.

23. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Shipping was $6.99 so the packaging should be a reasonable size.

24. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Whom are they quoting?

25. TerpStation

I didn't see any hype for packaging....perhaps it will be a plain box and they put all the budget into mastering the 24 and 48 track tapes..........which i am cool with..

ARK, bzfgt, dsdu and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.