Grateful Dead "Live Dead"..coming to Mofi?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

Just got my new copy of Stereophile...May 2011 issue. Ad on page 96 shows MOFI releases and pictured is The Grateful Dead "Live/Dead". No mention if LP, Gold Cd or SACD. Let's hope it's true. I wouldn't mind both SACD and LP.

2. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I want this on SACD, please!!!!!!!!!

3. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Oh boy, another audiophile reissue of a 40 year old album.

I wish that they'd do some more recent stuff like those Pixies albums.

Remington Steele likes this.
  4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yes an SACD would be unbelieveable!

5. aoxomoxoa

I wish they would release "Thread Crap I" by the Threadcrappers

6. Interesting. While we're at it, why not expand it to the Complete Fillmore West 1969 set? That box has been out of print for too long.

7. aoxomoxoa

Not likely to happen. But we can dream.

I think this would be great on vinyl. I am actually hoping for them to do SACD & vinyl. This is one of the greatest albums of all time.

8. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

I'm not allowed to voice my dissatisfaction with MoFi's choices?

A threadcrap would be me saying that Live/Dead and/or the Grateful Dead in general suck, which I didn't do.

9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Live/Dead is a much better choice than Shakedown Street or Go To Heaven.

Still, between my vinyl, the Rhino CD, the Fillmore box, and other shows from that period, I guess I'm set, but hope it comes out for those who want it.

10. MikeT

Here is a scan of the ad (just to lend credence to my OP):

Attached Files:

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, I'm set too, but a great choice for SACD. I only have one MoFi SACD, "What's Goin' On," and I"m not THAT impressed.

12. Electric

I was underwhelmed by the The Band Rock of Ages. Though that doesn't necessarily mean Live/Dead will not be good. But it is a concern whether MoFi can deliver.

13. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

What about their new Silver Line series, with titles from English Beat, Dead Can Dance, Echo and the Bunnymen, Sisters of Mercy and others?

14. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I'd love to have that on SACD! One of the Dead's best albums.

15. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

I agree with surfingelectrode's comments. I think the current issues of all the Dead stuff sound great, and there are still so many more modern recordings that could use a MOFI release.

16. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I don't think they can do any more with the sound than was done for the Fillmore box, which has the added advantage of having the songs in the right context. I'd rather they spent the time on something which has never been released with optimal sound.

17. MikeT

I might agree also, but I am a collector of sorts and if it involves the Grateful Dead - I will purchase it. I have multiple copies of this album already, including the SHM-CD (that came out in Japan a few years ago and is the same as the current Rhino CD version) and the latest Rhino vinyl pressing (now OOP).

I still want and will purchase a MOFI mastered Live/Dead if on Gold CD, SACD or LP (or all three for that matter)!

I'm sure other DeadHeads will do the same.

18. wrat

wrat Forum Resident

I would be in for vinyl

19. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

SACD? I sure hope so.

20. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

I'm in if it's a cd. Based on this and the upcoming Audio Fidelity releases I think the enormous sales for the Europe 72 box have gotten the attention of a few companies.

Grateful Dead are my favorite musical act so I'm all for seeing more AF and Mofi releases from them.

21. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Stereo SACD would be ho hum, but remixed for surround would be pretty cool. I think it was just 8 track so might be difficult to do. The Dead live albums are just begging for SACD surround treatment. I had a nice chat with Dan Healy about the chances of Dead Set being remixed for surround. That is the last analogue 32 track Dead official live release. Although he was enthusiastic he thought the chances were pretty slim.

22. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

This one already sounds pretty good to my albeit sometimes tin ears. Would a remaster really make that much difference?

23. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

You may be the only one here - I was blown away by it.

Praying for an SACD on this one. My DVD-A's of Workingman's and American Beauty get the most play in my house.

24. Electric

No, I'm not the only one. (Do a search.) Regardless, I know how this album is supposed to sound. I had the original vinyl. The SACD doesn't have the life.

25. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

So....don't post in this thread which is dedicated to a Grateful Dead album from 1969, and start your own thread about what you would like to see remastered!! Those of us who are interested in this item don't really care if you are frustrated with what is getting the remaster treatment!

Seriously- why do you think it's cool to crap on threads like this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.