Grateful Dead on vinyl.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by grendel, Aug 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grendel

grendel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

Since the arrival of a turntable in my house, I must admit I haven't played one cd anymore:shh:.

I was wondering, since being a DeadHead for not too long, what lp's can you recommend from The Grateful Dead. I am looking for pressings which sound better then their cd counterpart, and I am most interested in the live stuff.

I hope you guys can help me. As I did with cd's, I am always looking to add the best sounding pressings to my collection:righton:.

Thanx in advance, Grendel.

2. osbie feel

osbie feel Well-Known Member

We'll start you with a no-brainer: the first issue/original mix of "Aoxomoxoa". It's significantly different, much weirder and (in my opinion) vastly superior to the latter mix found on subsequent LP reissues & CDs. The album was (originally) mixed under the influence of Nitrous Oxide, if I recall correctly. :cool:

3. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

Start with these four:

Workingman's Dead
    American Beauty
    Wake of the Flood
    Blues for Allah

Later, Chris

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Since you are interested in live recordings, let me just say I do not recommend Dead Set on vinyl. Some tracks sound better than others, but overall mediocre to poor sounding. FWIW my copy was cut @ Masterfonics and I've got no other version of the recording to compare it against. I just know I prefer the sound of the other live Dead I have on cd (Closing Of Winterland, Dozing At The Nick, Go To Nassau, etc). In fact, I'd say live Dead is a good reason to keep your cd player in service ;)

My WB green label Workingman's Dead sounds fabulous, and my original Artisan cut of Blues For Allah also sounds very good. I find the sound hit and miss on my WB watermark label pressing of What A Long Strange Trip It's Been. Not sure if this is a general indictment of later pressings or just that some of the early albums from which the comp was drawn don't sound that good to begin with since I don't have alternate sources for a lot of the early WB material.

I have heard good things about the recent Rhino boxset reissuing all the WB studio recordings, but I haven't heard it myself.

5. rockitman

rockitman Forum Resident

Live Dead, Without A Net are other options for live GD on Vinyl. W/O a Net is tough to find though...OOP.

The re-issue of Shakedown Street sounds pretty good to my ears. Still need to compare to the original though.

6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The gold label mono mix of the debut is the way to hear that album. It's recently been reissued, but I haven't heard it to have an opinion.

Agree with the original mix of Aoxomoxoa.

Pandrew79 likes this.
  7. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Over the last year and in the next few months, there are a ton of new Grateful Dead releases on vinyl. As far as live goes, I'd recommend:

Live/Dead - Mofi is reissuing this in the next month or so. Before that, Rhino reissued it. An absolute must have. (1969)

Grateful Dead (Skull & Roses) - Also being reissued by Mofi in the next month or so (1971)

Europe '72 - 3 record set has sounded great in many pressings. Essential (1972)

Reckoning - Acoustic set from the Fall Tour of 1980. Wonderful sounding and great performances.

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  8. grendel

grendel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanx for all the help sofar. I guess I'll keep my eyes on the upcoming MoFi's for sure. I forgot to mention I have Europe '72 on vinyl and it sounds great! I was planning on grabbing Live/Dead, but I will wait for the MoFi.:righton:.

9. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Go w Green label Warner pressings for all material through 72, try for w7 green labels for everything up through Live Dead
    Im not a reissue guy, but Ive never heard of the above mentioned copies being bested.

10. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

American Beauty is one of the most satisfying vinyl listens I can think of. Look for the olive green label.

11. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Audio Fidelity are also releasing some GD on vinyl. But I am not sure if they have any Live versions in the pipeline. Just bought "Blues For Allah" on 180 G limited numbered vinyl........ :cool:

12. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Don't forget From The Mars Hotel, either the WB original or if you can't find a near mint copy the MoFi, but that is the second best choice imo. Something did not gel with the MFSL copy I heard...couldn't hold a candle vs the excellent WG LP I had in the days...
    These GD albums sounded really good when they came out on Warner Bros.
    Expect at least the Live In Europe 3 LP quality

13. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

American Beauty
    Workingman's Dead
    Wake Of The Flood
    Europe 72

14. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

I would suggest this one! MoFi will probably do a good job with it, but my original pressing is hard to beat. I love the performances on this release. Part of it might be nostalgia as it was the first GD release I got. I saw them for the first time at the Fox Theater in St. Louis in 1972.

15. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

16. jimdavies111

jimdavies111 Active Member

Mars Hotel was on Grateful Dead Records.

17. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

18. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

+2 Nice set for a fair price.

19. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Agree with this. I preferred my originals after hearing the Rhino vinyl box set.

nightchapel likes this.
  20. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

American Beauty on the Green label is better than the Rhino reissue to my ears. Interestingly, the reissue is brighter; the guitar sounds twangier if you like that. . .

21. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Two words: Live Dead
    Look for the original W7 pressing for a superior listening experience.

I like the late 60's "primal" era, so I'm going to say:
    Aoxomoxoa W7 press only, Anthem Of The Sun, and Grateful Dead a/k/a Skull & Roses.

Phil Lesh remixed Anthem in the mid-70's, the remix has WB "Burbank" labels and came in a white cover, Lesh sucked the life out of it, luckly he only remixed side one. It's worse than the Aoxomoxoa remix from '71.

22. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I was told years ago that the Warner reissue on the beige label from the 80's (not the Rhino) was superior to the earlier green label. Hard for me to believe, but I did score a minty copy of this reissue. Will listen soon. :)

23. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Usually pretty pricey, but IMHO the first MFSL vinyl pressing of "American Beauty" sounds fantastic! :righton:

And as for "Workingman's Dead", though I doubt it sounds as good as an original Green Label (a copy of which I have recently acquired :goodie: but have yet to wet-vacuum clean), I have a "Palm Trees" label reissue of it, pressed at Capitol's Hollywood plant, that I think sounds really, really good :agree:

24. tolkev

tolkev Rain Dog

I listen to my vinyl copy of Reckoning all the time. Fantastic.

25. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

The Warner green label Workingman's Dead is superb!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.