Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I think I probably won't get down all I should say and yet somehow say too much. Short answer is that I'd like to think that my mind is not just science/math based (so-called left-brained), but also artistically based (so-called right-brained). Clearly when I post stuff extolling what Phil and Jerry are doing from 12:54-13:20 of the 3/23/74 WRS, it must seem like an analytical approach, but any analytics therein are only of utility to me if the artistic creation resulting from said Phil and Jerry interaction produces an unstoppable wave of pleasure when heard. Thus, there is always a more or less equal artistic side to the analysis. In other words, it pleases my right brain when someone uses their left brain in music and vice versa. I include vice versa here because, while I find there to be a certain artistic beauty in the imaginative use of structured Western theory, and I also find there to be a certain a mathematical/scientific order/sensibility in the creation of true art.

This is all coming across like I'm a blow-hard, which isn't my intent. Maybe a shorter answer is that I like to analyze music to understand why it works, learn to replicate it, then break it on the floor and put it back together with a blindfold on and hear whether the pieces fit back together.

Zafu, jay.dee, Crispy Rob and 5 others like this.
  2. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I'm never going to let you near my record collection.

Zafu, Erik B., adamos and 9 others like this.
  3. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

So the general consensus after 150 pages seems to point to the need of another 73/74 box set next year.

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That right there is a proper us of logic in regards to the GD.

We can do the "1973 Stadium Series:"

13 May- Des Moines
    20 May- Santa Barbara
    26 May- Kezar
    9 June- RFK
    10 June- RFK
    31 July- Roosevelt
    1 Aug- Roosevelt

Or a "1973 & 1974 Lost Summer Shows:"

29, 30 June + 1 July 1973- Universal Amphitheater

20 June 1974- Atlanta
    22 & 23 June 1974- Miami

5. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I think the remaining May/June shows as a box with an individual release of 6/10/73 coordinated with the ABB camp sounds just exactly perfect.

6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

If anyone has DR numbers from the box set CDs for 6/22/73 and wants to help out a little, would you please PM me. I don't want to bore people out here but this would help a lot.

7. US Blues

DR = / = Sound Quality.

Just sayin'

bmoregnr likes this.
  8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I know that brother. It's comparative mastering stuff, compilation vs. box CDs vs. hi res; in a conversation with a certain someone interested in the tool specifically and I only have two out of the three components.

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

I just got the sampler and listened to disc 1 - I was afraid of what would happen... now I want the whole box... ugh!!!

Zafu, US Blues, AlienRendel and 5 others like this.
  10. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

TOO meltdown from 6/26/73 is as scrumptious as these things get. Crunchy Phil + Jerry with Phil as prime mover.

Archtop, US Blues, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.
  11. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I listened to that for the first time but I was in an airplane. The quiet sections didn't come through at all. Need to repeat a few times and take it in.

I'm progressing through the box pretty slowly, really enjoying all of it. And I generally prefer 74, so there's a lot to look forward to.

12. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

For me this stuff only works cranked up:)

Zafu, US Blues and footlooseman like this.
  13. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Even just this in a mini-box. Love 6/20.

14. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Wall of Sound style?

US Blues and footlooseman like this.
  15. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Your "/s" is duly noted, but I did have this thought when listening to disc 2 of the GD Movie Soundtrack a couple days ago, with its Jam and Weirdness, not to mention the Spanish Jam and Mind Left Body Jam.

16. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

also been listening to the final run maybe the most outre with the seastones. what a magnificient arc from vancouver 73 thru the okc 73 the beantown 74 and alexandra to it. still the green box enjoyment is tempered by the source for me almost shrill after the warmth of the others

17. mmthmj

mmthmj Forum Resident

Well, life has gotten in the way and I've fallen so far behind all these Dead threads that I will probably never catch up. But I wanted to inquire about a little mystery regarding the 6/26/73 show: my Deadbase IX includes Cumberland Blues tucked between The Race Is On and China>Rider in the 1st Set. I can see it listed in some of the setlists on archive copies, but it's never actually included as a track.

My assumption at this point is that was just an error, and then it was copied and pasted in some of the other sources but never actually a track that existed.

Anyway, if anyone has any further insight into the existence (or lack thereof) of a Cumberland Blues from 6/26/73 I would be quite interested.

ianuaditis likes this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It's in Deadbase X too, but since it is not on either the SBD or the AUD sources on the Archive, it's probably a mistake. Db.etree occasionally uses incorrect Deadbase setlists (2/5/78 with "Samson" after "Scarlet-Fire" rather than before it is another example).

mmthmj and ianuaditis like this.
  19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

There's also a Big River listed for 5-13-72 which wasn't played.

mmthmj likes this.
  20. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I got carried away and decided to order the HR files last night thinking after this time any download issues would be fixed. WRONG! File failed and when I attempted to unzip what I received it was a file type my system didn't recognize. I thought it would be show folders with tracks labeled but no. We'll see how CS responds-quite disappointed.

21. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Finally listened to some of this box (i.e. show two in my imaginary May '74 box starting in Missoula).

I don't think Vancouver quite gets as high as Missoula. They seem a little bit restrained this night. I'm normally disappointed by Truckin' turning into Nobody's Fault But Mine rather than developing into something more improvised but it really works in this show and then the left turn into Eyes is quite inspired. It shouldn't have worked but it did. I wasn't bowled over by China>Rider from this show either. I guess Vancouver '74 is one of the lesser shows on the box so it's still at a very high level but perhaps missing the X-factor. There are brilliant moments rather than a lengthy jam of particular note.

Also, on Money, Money...it's really goofy but I don't mind it at all. It's obviously tongue-in-cheek even if it isn't especially kind. I quite enjoy the Money riff that Jerry plays throughout. It's nice to have this for three shows, just for a change.*

*NB: For some context, I don't mind Day Job either.

22. US Blues

Did you ever have the pleasure of a Day Job encore 'buzz kill' the energy of a show you worked hard to attend?

Six Bachelors likes this.
  23. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

In my perfect world we would at some point get the following:

5-13/20/26-73 as a mini-box set a la Winterland 73 and 77

6-9/10-73 as a special release box set with all sets from ABB and The Band together. Would get a lot of press and a lot of sales.

The rest of those shows occasionally released on their own. (6-23-74 with a 6-22-74 bonus disc makes a lot of sense unless they one day decide to do a big June 74 Box Set since no full show has actually been released, only highlights of some. Unlikely, but a small possibility.)

24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Like in the final years the joy of yet another “I Fought the Law”

25. US Blues

An RFK mini-box would be off-the-charts popular. Throw in some bonus tracks from Watkin's Glen and it would astonish the masses.

And Dead & Bro would reap it in ticket sales. /cynicism

SBegonias17 and footlooseman like this.