Grateful Dead: RHINO Reissues DVD-A vs. HDCD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenexte, Mar 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident Thread Starter

What's the scoop on this one?

RHINO released DVD-A versions of both "American Beauty" and "Workingman's Dead" albums in 2001, that included new mixes (supposedly done by Mickey Hart).

Then they went on to remaster them for HDCD redbook reissues (i.e. "The Golden Road" remasters) that included several bonus songs (while the DVD-A's were just straight reissues)?

Does that mean the stereo layers of the DVD-A's are already superceded by the new HDCD mixes that just came out ? That would really be hard to believe (but it's certainly not the first time it happened in the industry)!

As a consumer I can't even believe they dared to issue a 35 min. album on a format (DVD-A) that can hold in excess of two hours of uncompressed multichannel music.

For years I always thought what a great idea it would be to have these two albums reissued together on a single compact disc, but I guess the only thing that counts for the folks at RHINO these days is $$$.
    -wolf

2. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I believe that the DVD-A issues are indeed remixes done by Mickey Hart. I read an interview with him where he talked about mixing in some elements that were left out of the original mixes. One such example that I recall is a pedal steel part that runs throughout Sugar Magnolia. I also seem to remember that there are some vocal parts that were restored from the multitracks.

Chris

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes, the DVD-A's are very remixed, no matter what mix you choose. If you buy these, they DO sound good, but keep your original WB issues. At least those won't lie to you.

4. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Right. So the "Golden Road" box and corresponding individual discs are the original WB mixes, just remastered and with bonus tracks, whereas the DVD-A issues are completely different animals.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.