Grateful Dead Vinyl Re-Issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wags, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I sure hope not. By the way, some of my favorite jazz records are mid 90s Capitol masterings on the Blue Note label Conoisseur Series. These sound worlds better than the CDs of the series. Some people faulted them saying sources were not always the absolute original session master, which may be true, but they still sound great. If they used a digital delay in mastering, it's relatively transparent. They were a bargain at the time - about $16 or so each for a pristine RTI pressing.

What I'm trying to say is that Capitol has proven, even recently, that they can put out a high quality LP.

2. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I think what Tim is referring to is the Acoustic Sounds-EMI (Capitol)-RTI series that included Sticky Fingers, Exile on main St., Band on the Run, Fly like an Eagle, Heart, REM, and others.

The Blue Note series is great.

BC

3. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Ah, perhaps. I bought Sticky Fingers and stopped there. Was that series really mastered at Capitol?

edit - just remembered, I picked up (at clearout price) a copy of Document. I haven't listened in a while, but I remember it being very nice too. Maybe there's hope yet.

4. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Yes! I still kick myself for not buying "Out To Lunch". If you ever see one, keep me in mind ;)

5. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

No, Bob Ludwig I believe.

BC

6. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Sure.
    I got ALL of them.
    Have you tried Mosaic's True Blue or whatever they call their store? They had a huge pile, they may be gone by now though.

BC

7. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Correct on both counts.

8. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Yes! I've been to their warehouse (it's about 1 1/2 hours from here). Great place, great people. They've been out of stock on that title for many years now. Eventually I'll spot a clean one, as the Conoisseurs do (surprisingly) show up used in the local used LP store here.

They do still have some other titles still in stock (Horace Silver, etc).

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I also bought all of the mid '90's Blue Note vinyl reissues, and goodness, do they sound great! Better than the CD's, IMO.

I am taking no chances and am holding on to the green label WB LP's, just in case!

10. nin

nin Forum Resident

When I was consulted about this series, I was very adament that these stay analog from tape to turntable. It seemed like they listened and I hope that they are.
    I gotta check this out.

I really hope so! It' would be SUPERB!! Tell us ASAP Steel Woole!!

11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Wouldn't it be nice!!!!

Again, if this is true, the current ICE advertisement (by Rhino) makes no mention of it and would actually be misleading.

BC

12. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Well, after further investigation, it seems to be a fact that the 3 Grateful Dead albums (Live/Dead, Workingman's Dead & American Beauty) are indeed purely analog transfers. These were done last month. The GD compact discs being advertised in ICE are the exact same parts (pardon my industry-speak) that were done in 2001 for the "Golden Road" box set - artwork, masters, etc. That's part of the reason why the box was designed the way it was - so they could "break out" the discs for indivual sale at a later time.
    In fact, I'm told that the tape used for the vinyl of "Live/Dead" was indeed the original two-track master which was recently discovered in a vault search. So it should sound better than the 2001 cd!

FWIW, the Handmade "Last Waltz" was mastered using the new mixes at Robbie Robertson's request. In fact, he was rather adamant about that. So, in order to get him to sign 1500 copies, well...

Hope this clears a few things...

13. Steel Woole

I just saw the Dead ad in the new ICE. These cds are most definately not remixed! That shoulda got caught by someone in promotions...

14. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Steel,

I thought I'd heard some of the early LP material (specifically tracks from the debut) were in fact remixed. Obviously, this isn't an issue for the LPs we're discussing here, but wasn't some of the box material remixed?

15. Steel Woole

Not to my knowledge.
    Confusingly, The Grateful Dead remixed "Anthem Of The Sun" and "Aoxomoxoa" themselves around September 1971.
    I believe the original mixes were used for CD.

16. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Yes, confusing is right. Thanks for the additional info! I just ran a search and found David Lemeaux saying the original mix was used for Anthem but not Aoxomoxoa (since the latter's original mix master tape could not be located, they used the 1971 mix). Otherwise it looks like the remix comment is not correct at all (except that mutichannel remixes were done for the DVD-A releases - hence the confusion? who knows).

17. nin

nin Forum Resident

THANK YOU Steel Woole!! I can't wait for this. Analog vinyl is on the move. Hope Rhino hear us audiofile cheering for making ALL-analog vinyl and will keep it up (instead of the Ramones reissues).

18. nin

nin Forum Resident

Btw, Steel Woole, how about the Yes and T Rex vinyl, did you hear if they also will be pure analog?
    Thanks again! :)

19. Steel Woole

No. I was told that those masters weren't in "good enough shape" so those two will be cut from the new digital masters.

I'm still very curious to hear them!

20. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

The original mix of Aoxomoxoa is very interesting and quite different from the familiar CD version. Folks who like this album should seek out the original mix (there are vinyl rips to CD floating around out there if you look hard enough...)

The remixed Anthem is also quite different sounding.

Chris

21. nin

nin Forum Resident

Thanks again Steel Woole!! Great to have people like you here. :)

22. Steel Woole

My pleasure. Glad to share what I can!

23. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Same here.
    Thanks Steel for clearing up the confusion.

BC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.