Grateful Dead's Workingman's Dead vs. American Beauty

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by serge, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I kinda like the studio take. It has this weird Stones-via-Buffalo Springfield thing going. But it's almost as if they tried to tame the song a bit, to make it conform to the Workingman's Dead sound. Doesn't quite work, and it ends up this hybrid, which probably wouldn't have fit on either of the two 1970 albums.

2. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Although I agree it works better acoustically, I actually rather like that version. It's also an example of them saving that song for special occasions. The audience reaction is kind of cool.

3. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I'm not even much of a Dead fan, but I couldn't be without these two albums.

That said, I went with WD.

thedudeabidz said it much better than I could have.

WD is more rough-n-tumble, and was firstest with the mostest. To its credit, AB does have Box Of Rain :) but it also has Casey Jones :(

Cover art? No contest. As drop-jaw beautiful as the rose is, AB's back cover is wasted space. On the back of WD, we are treated to those marvelous band portraits by Stanley Mouse.

I did see them smack-dab in between release dates for these two, but it had no bearing on my thoughts. These just happen to be a pair of lightning-in-a-bottle moments for this band, and stand tall by themselves. I'm not a collector, but I've not heard a live rendition of any of these songs that better the studio version.

thedudeabidz likes this.
  4. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

I voted for Workingman's Dead.

Looking at the track listings I see more fan favorites on American Beauty; Box of Rain, Friend of the Devil, Sugar Magnolia, Ripple and Brokedown Palace. I can see how American Beauty gets the votes.

For me, however, the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. The run from the opening of Uncle John's Band through Easy Wind is just so solid, and so much more cohesive that the sequencing on American Beauty, it makes it an easy choice for me.
    With Dire Wolf, New Speedway Boogie, Cumberland Blues, Black Peter and Easy Wind on this LP, the voting should be closer.

Workingman's Dead
    1 Uncle John's Band 4:45
    2 High Time 5:16
    3 Dire Wolf 3:15
    4 New Speedway Boogie 4:08
    5 Cumberland Blues 3:18
    6 Black Peter 5:46
    7 Easy Wind 5:01
    8 Casey Jones 4:29

American Beauty
    1 Box of Rain 5:18
    2 Friend of the Devil 3:24
    3 Sugar Magnolia 3:19
    4 Operator 2:25
    5 Candyman 6:14
    6 Ripple 4:09
    7 Brokedown Palace 4:09
    8 Till the Morning Comes 3:08
    9 Attics of My Life 5:12
    10 Truckin 5:03

I wonder if Workingman's Dead would have received more votes if they had cut Casey Jones and replaced it with Friend of the Devil?

5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Jeez, I meant Truckin. But the :( still stands. Not wild about CJ either, come to think of it.

:doh:

6. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

Casey Jones is a song I could never hear again and not miss it. Truckin is on the same list, but not quite near the top.

7. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Hope I'm not taking this thread off-topic, but there's something I've wondered about... What was Mickey Hart's role on these two albums? All of the songs only have one kit drummer, right, and it seems to be Kreutzmann throughout, no? And that's natural, of course, since he seems to have better feel for this type of material. So, what was Mickey doing? There doesn't seem to be much in the way of percussion flourishes either; after all, the songs are not that "rhythmic" (with the possible exception of "Easy Wind").

It occurred to me: could Mickey's departure have been motivated by musical as well as personal factors? With the new rootsy direction, maybe he felt as if he couldn't contribute as much?

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I don 't think Mickey was in the band then. He certainly wasn't at all the Live shows I saw around that time. I never understood why he left for that period.

9. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Well, he is credited on both albums, and he does appear on the cover with the rest of them on Workingman's Dead. He didn't officially leave until early 1971. The reason usually given for this is his bad feelings towards his father's embezzlement of the band's funds.

10. foundthesound

foundthesound Active Member

Mickey was not gone at the point of these recordings. He is probably doing the percussion parts. He left in 1971 due to his father stealing all of the band's money. He felt guilty for having vouched for his father and decided he needed some time away from the band.

11. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I love them both, but . . . . American Beauty wins hands down for me. I think the songs are wholly stronger, particularly the lyrics - Robert Hunter was really coming into his own here. There are great performances from all four lead vocalists (Phil's best song is here, and "Operator" is PigPen's best song IMO) - Jerry's vocals are consistently more assured ("High Times" from WD is a pretty rough performance - they had to multi-track the vocals at one point to distract from how off-key he is . . . "Come in when it's rainin -- ingngngngngng" on the 5.1 mix of the DVD-A this is clearly evident) and the playing is tight. That being said, these are indispensible albums and I consider them twins.

Funny, Cumberland Blues, Black Peter and Easy Wind (all great songs) in sequential order is why WD seems to drag a bit for me and probably why I would give the edge to AB. Different Strokes.

12. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Workingman's Dead for me. While American Beauty is a great album with great songs, Workingman's Dead holds together better as whole - as an album and as a statement.

13. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

American Beauty for me.
    Not a dull moment on it.

14. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Two gems of the Hunter/Garcia golden era - I'll take Workingman's "old-west-cowboy-meets-20th Century-paranoid-suburban-outsider" aesthetic over AB's sublime reflection & introspection if forced to choose.

16. Zack

Zack Senior Member

But "Mason's" sounds more AB- like to me. Kind of Sugar Magnolia-ey.

17. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

the thing that makes Workingman's Dead work for me is that there is no Bob Weir...this is when he was temporarily
    kicked out of the band because he couldn't play for s***, of course he then practiced his a** off and became of of the greatest rhythm guitarists of all time, I'd
    rate him even better than Garcia as a guitarist...it's really easy to sound like Garcia, not easy to fill up the sound like Weir...:hide: there's a really cool Henry Kaiser Band mini CD where he does a cover of Mason's Children, I saw some mindblowing shows by them in SF, checkout the CD "Those Who Don't Know History are Doomed To Repeat It"...

18. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

that being said, how can you choose between the two, American Beauty has Box of Rain, which basically kept me alive in drug rehab as a teenager
    in 1984, I remember sitting in the bathroom with my smuggled in walkman listening to this on my headphones over and over and crying, one of the most
    vivid moments of my life...when I saw them break this out at Hampton in '86 after 13 years of not playing it, another lifetime memory...

skybluestoday likes this.
  19. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

Ummm, I don't think so. The Weir-less (& Pigpen-less) Dead was a very brief period in 1968. Bob is on Workingman's Dead.
    No.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  20. setalpgninnpsekil

setalpgninnpsekil Forum Resident

Went with American Beauty, even though I do agree with the comments about side 2 dragging a bit.

21. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Put this in the "Unpopular Music Opinions" file or whatever, but I really, really like "Til the Morning Comes". Lyrically it's just a lightweight love song, but as a unique and fun little country-rock groover it really is quite nice. The chorus is a little odd, but very interesting and memorable. The problem is that it is stuck on an album where nearly every other song (except perhaps "Operator") is an undeniable classic. That's tough competition.

IbMePdErRoIoAmL likes this.
  22. Music1212

Music1212 Forum Resident

+1

23. catman

catman Forum Resident

I went with Beauty, but these are two of my favorites records of all time....they are the product of a brief window when the Dead actually got it together in the studio! And, taking both albums together, what an amazing collection of interesting, diverse, challenging songs (I've tried to play some of them, and many are surprisingly difficult, with very quirky arrangements.)

24. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

To me, they make the perfect two-fer. Hard to pick one over the other.

dave-tx likes this.
  25. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Ripple Ripple Ripple

That is all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.