"Grease" - the pre-1998 audio mix?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheLazenby, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

2. crissrudd4554

crissrudd4554 Well-Known Member

The new 40th Anniversary print is on iTunes and I've been checking it out. Got some good stuff to report. First off the original Paramount logos are back. Second can be viewed as a plus or minus depending on your viewpoint. The previously blurred out Coke posters in the diner have been digitally replaced with Pepsi posters. I'm typically more in favor of leaving things in their released form but I don't mind this alteration that much.

Now of course to the audio. I think most who are apprehensive for this release can rest assured. It is NOT the dreadful remix we've been enduring since 1998. The added foley effects are gone and the original sounds are back (from the scenes I've checked at least), the backing vocals are now lower in the mix as they should be. All around I look forward to the physical release which I've already pre-ordered. Hope this helps!

KatCassidy and MMM like this.
  3. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Any idea what the "alternate ending" on the Blu Ray will be?

Also, I saw they're putting out all three movies as a boxed set - I hope Grease 2 (which hasn't been on Blu Ray before, to my knowledge) FINALLY gets special features.

4. crissrudd4554

No idea. I'm only renting the iTunes version presently.

5. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I thought the new masters were not available till April 24, how could iTunes be selling it before the street date and even the movie release coming up on April 8th. Are you sure iTunes isn't just the last Blu-Ray master from last year?

6. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I have watched a few scenes from Itunes. Definitely a new audio mix. It sounds much more like I remember when I watched it on vhs. It looks a bit DNR'ed but that might just be the stream from Itunes.

Song4U likes this.
  7. crissrudd4554

Definitely not the previous master. The fact it opens and closes with the original Paramount logos confirms this. And the audio is definitely not the remix that’s been used for the last 20 years. No new sound effects, less pronounced backing vocals. Definitely more like if not the same as the pre-1998 mix. And again the blurred out Coke logos are replaced with Pepsi logos.

Also keep in mind the film is getting a theatrical release in early April before the actual release of the BD/UHD. So iTunes getting the print early isn’t too surprising.

Song4U likes this.
  8. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I was hoping for the original audio and if that's the case, this is excellent news...can't wait for the theatrical release and the new blu ray and 4K discs.

9. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The sound mix is fine and the animated opening sequence is no longer window boxed.

10. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

11. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I thought I was the only one that noticed the difference.

I saw Grease on opening weekend and was simply blown away by the surround sound mix. Absolutely incredible!! The best audio experience I ever had in a theater along with Rollerball which also never sounded the same on home video.

So I couldn’t wait to get the home video releases. I’ve been sadly disappointed every single time, from the initial laser disc onward. The mixes may have changed between the releases but none of them match the power, pump and drive I heard in the theater. Maybe the 4K will surprise me.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ask me later today after I watch it! :D

13. Oatsdad

Okay, I watched the alternate ending.

It lasts a whopping 23 seconds and simply extends the existing ending. This means we see Danny and Sandy actually fly away in the car - instead of the "implied flight" in the existing ending.

They go into the clouds, kiss, and then we get a transition into a short animated finish.

It's cute to see but it's completely forgettable...

14. Oatsdad

Oh, and the alternate opening offers the same animation we've seen for years and years - it simply comes with a different title song.

On one hand, this title song is much more "50s sounding" than the disco-tinged Valli tune. On the other hand, it's not very good! :shrug:

15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That post appears to be from Robert Harris, the film restorationist/preservationist that worked on THE GODFATHER and THE GODFATHER PART II (among other movies). If so, that's quite an endorsement on the quality of the work done here for GREASE.

I'm attending the Wednesday afternoon screening locally. Really glad the original mix has returned...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  16. I would have prefered Saturday Night Fever released on UHD BD than Grease.

17. Oatsdad

And I'd prefer a whole bunch of other movies - but Paramount chose cash cow "Grease", a decision that makes sense given the 40th anniversary tie-in and the movie's enduring popularity...

18. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I ordered the blu ray and the 4K even though I don't have 4K set up, hey it's Olivia and it's a must buy for me.

My showing starts tomorrow at the theater and I'm sooooo excited to finally see Grease again on the big screen, can't wait to not only see it but also hear how the audio/music sounds. I just hate the latest transfers over the years starting with 98 onwards. Maybe this will be like how I remember it back in 1978. Should I wear my Grease shirt FROM 78' to the 40th movie showing tomorrow? :agree: Tomorrow I'll be stranded at the Drive-In.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

God, that is horrible. I'd guarantee you, Pepsi paid for the privilege.

Steve Martin and chilinvilin like this.
  20. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I just got back from the 2:00 pm show today and it was fantastic, it felt like 1978 all over again. The opening logo is correct now and the picture quality is breathtaking. I'm also happy to report that the audio is finally been fixed and we have the correct surround mix. I couldn't believe my ears the opening beach scene was perfect, you can finally hear the dialog crystal clear. Hopelessly Devoted absolutely perfect just like the original version in 1978 and You're The One That I Want awesome, they finally removed all that hand clapping and backing vocals from the sing a long surround track they screwed up in 98'. It was great seeing it with an audience that laughed at the funny scenes and was quiet during the music numbers. I hadn't seen this movie for a while and it was amazing on the big screen.

I can't wait for my blu ray and 4k discs to arrive. I asked the manager and they didn't receive any promo material, not even a 40th anniv poster to hang out, they said they were expecting one but it never arrived. They took my # in case one does show I will get it. I even called another theater close by that's showing the movie and they didn't receive any poster either. How odd.

MMM likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Allegedly Pepsi paid for the privilege in 1978! :laugh:

I still don't think the change to Pepsi signs is horrible - or "haarible", as some oddball likes to say. ;)

It's better than blurred blobs in the background! And the Pepsi art is "period correct" - it's not like they put in 2018 logos...

Vidiot likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Good move! The 4K isn't all that much more expensive than the BD, and you'll have the BD to watch now with the 4K to view down the road! :)

23. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Does the BD disc have the correct soundmix aswell? Or is it only
    4k disc?

24. Oatsdad

Both - the new BD is a truly new BD, not a recycled version of the old one...

Galley likes this.
  25. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I can't get over how brilliant the colors were in the theater they really did a great job with the colors and brightness. The blue on the T birds jacket was mentioned before but it was pretty uniform across the movie so it was no big deal to me. I could have sworn though there was 1 scene during the Greased Lighting spot that the TBirds jacket looked white or a lot less blue coloring.

I'm seeing it a 2nd time before it leaves the theatre...I know I need help lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.