Great Blade Runner article

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by smilin ed, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

It also could be that Hollywood isn't cranking out very much of interest <lousy scripts and ridiculous remakes> and the pickings are very slim for established actors to do anything worthwhile on a big scale without going "indie" or for a smaller paycheck than they are used to.

Deesky and Hawkman like this.
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Wow. Two questions that will always start a major discussion/argument:

1) Beatles: Mono or Stereo?

And...

2) Blade Runner: Voice over or not?

I first saw the film on laserdisc back in the 80's. All the dark and rain gave me a headache. It wasn't until a few years ago that I really gained an appreciation for the film. I have that BD set that came out last year with the die-cast Spinner in it. :)

For the record in case anyone is losing sleep wondering.....no voice over for me. :) In my opinion, it really kills the moment after Roy Batty's 'tears in the rain' speech when the voice over hits. It's like a waitress dropping the check on your table the second you finish your meal. :)

But....I will ALWAYS watch whatever version of Blade Runner might be on tv if I happen to see it.

jsayers likes this.
  3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member Thread Starter

Is it the style of the narration or just the fact there is narration that people find annoying? Or the content, maybe?

4. Django

Django Forum Resident

I must watch the original version again.
    I've always loved voice overs in films.

5. smilin ed

It does help establish a certain kind of mood which goes well with the visuals and storyline

zobalob and jsayers like this.
  6. Hawkman

I think that the voice over in this case takes away from the film in that it seems to do the thinking for you as opposed to just letting your brain do the work and make up it's own mind about what you are seeing and feeling. Watch the example that I give above. Watch the 'tears in the rain' bit with and without the voice over. Without the voice over, you get to experience the moment longer and stay with it in your head and emotions. In the voice over version, the voice over comes in like a sledge hammer and, at least in my opinion, yanks you out of your head and, most importantly, the moment.

But....as I also said above....I will watch whatever version I see on TV if I am not watching it on blu-ray. If you like the voice over version, enjoy!!! I would rather talk Blade Runner than current events any day.

somnar likes this.
  7. Django

Django Forum Resident

That Dangerous days documentary was excellent. Essential viewing for BR fans.

8. That's definitely one scene where the voice over is poorly edited in - if they had waited a bit longer....... [shrug]

Don't get me wrong, I love it w/o the VO, but I love the movie. Period.

Hawkman likes this.
  9. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Thanks for reminding me - I've never watched any of the extras other than the deleted scenes. :hide:

Hawkman likes this.
  10. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

So I'm assuming those two have no 4 year life span? - They are Nexus 7 or beyond?

11. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

There are many ambiguities and split-opinions regarding this film. However there is one aspect that holds true for me: I don't care what Ridley Scott says about this film, his is only one interpretation and one that I don't share. The moment a work of art goes public, the artist loses all command over the work, except for their own interpretation. And that interpretation holds no more weight than any other. That Ridley Scott now says Deckard is Nexus 6, is completely irrelevant to anyone but himself. There is no answer to the question "is Deckard a replicant," and thank god for that.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    Hawklord likes this.
  12. Hawkman

I was just thinking about that today. It was slow at work. :)

Want to start yet another debate among Blade Runner fans? Try the 'Deckard-Human or Replicant?' question. :)

Personally, I go with replicant because it would be just too creepy for him to fall in love with what is basically a robot if he were human. :)

But, returning to your question, one wonders if the Tyrell Corporation isn't dabbling in 'later models' of replicants as at least evidenced by Rachael?

zobalob likes this.
  13. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

I guess we can lose the spoiler thing since if you haven't seen it by now... well too bad. I think Ridley himself confirmed Deckard is one. I have no doubt. The unicorn pretty much seals it. Just wondering about the life span... I imagine the sequel takes place quite a bit more than 4 years later but maybe not.

Hawkman likes this.
  14. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

I don't find it creepy at all, maybe I'm just weird, but she is to all intents and purposes a superior form of replicant who thinks that she is the real thing i.e. human and I find something infintely touching in his decision (if decision is the right word in matters of the heart) to meld his life with hers, replicant or no, and for who knows how long.

Hawkman likes this.
  15. Django

Django Forum Resident

I thought I had the original with the voice over. I don't, it's the director's cut.
    I also have the 2 disc version of the final cut. Where can I get a DVD of the original with voice over?
    * I'm not buying the 5 disc set.

16. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

If it helps the discussion, Deckard is not a replicant in Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? But, in this and other PKD books, he's constantly messing with his characters' and the reader's perceptions of what is real and what isn't, and blurring the lines between the two to the point where it may not matter. So, the strong suggestion that Dekard is a replicant at the end of the 2007 cut of the film is pretty much in line with how things usually pan out in the Philip K. Dick world.

jsayers likes this.
  17. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I bought the 5-BD set years ago so that I could learn as much as possible about this great film. It's definitely worth it, including the "Dangerous Days" documentary.

zobalob and Hawklord like this.
  18. smilin ed

Has Scott ever said directly what his thoughts on the matter are?

19. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

The 5 disc had all versions, which IIRC was reissued in a 4 disc DVD set, minus the workprint. Currently the 30th anniv BD 3 disc set in a Digibook has all five plus all features and can be had for around $13.

20. wavethatflag

I don't know. I've never read or heard anything he has to say about Blade Runner.

I saw "the final cut" at the Parmount theatre in Oakland last Friday and I was on the edge of my seat in parts, and I've seen that version at least two times before, on DVD anyway. Great flick!

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I was almost going to go to that, but my wife wasn't feeling well! We watched our BD of the theatrical cut at home instead. I think I actually prefer the theatrical, with the voiceovers. Makes it more noir.

22. wavethatflag

True. Although after this screening I was thinking that the voiceover makes it too noir, and that without the narration the movie is more of a genre-buster, and also more of a trend-setting modern action film. In my opinion, Blade Runner is one of the few examples of a movie where the director should have been left to his own devices. I'd say the majority of "Director's Cuts" do nothing for the film and sometimes make it less than it was in its theatrical version. Almost Famous and The Blues Brothers come immediately to mind, and of course Lucas' revisions to his original trilogy.

23. Django

Django Forum Resident

I got a good deal on the 5 disc set, so i'm going to get that.
    And there's going to be a week of screenings of the directors cut in the Irish film institute in April.
    I have to see this on the big screen.

captainsolo likes this.
  24. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

I just pulled my HD DVD off the shelf, (5 disc set) and will be watching it later today. Such a good movie. I can't say I've watched the one with the voice over.

25. There's a visual clue as to who/what are "artificial" beings in the movie. Just like Tony Montana says in 'Scarface'..."The eyes Chico, they never lie."

mark renard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.