Great Explanation of Hi-Res Digital benefits, Brickwalling, Compression, etc.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Drew769, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Jim, that is a great sounding recording for sure!~

Love the dynamic, clean clear sound of it. Punchy, detailed and just great sounding.

See we can agree!

2. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

----------------
    Of course we can and it does show that a great recording starts with great tracking and mastering. I would love to hear what someone think of it on a CD. I have yet to find one on Amazon and I look now and then.

3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Elusive Disc has the TopMusic from 2013.

4. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

6. therockman

7. Try this

8. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Not sure what you mean therockman. I ordered a used copy right before I posted.

9. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Allan Sides is a minor deity in my book of life
    Ocean Way is the US equivalent of Abbey Rd for its history and archive
    Allan has his opinions and vast experience but I dont agree with all of them
    Its great to see him,pity the show is so naff,him and GM would be an excellent eye opener.

10. therockman

I'm sorry, I did not see the links to the Marketplace on there. Everything's cool.

11. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

:laugh: I'm so stealing that.

12. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Spidey!

Perhaps in the same you determined that MP3s "are virtually the same as CD sound. Maybe not 100% identical, but so close it does not make any realistic difference."

Jim in Houston and jh901 like this.
  13. EdogawaRampo

Spidey!

Let's examine this view in a bit more detail.

First, a look at a brief biography of Alan Sides:

Allen Sides is the owner of Ocean Way Recording in Los Angeles, and one of the most respected engineer/producers in the music industry. As an engineer/producer, Sides' has recorded over 400 albums and won two Grammy's. A brief list of some of the artists he has worked with include: Phil Collins, Green Day, Eric Clapton, Alanis Morrisette, Faith Hill, Trisha Yearwood, Wynonna Judd, Beck, Mary J Blige, Ry Cooder, Joni Mitchell, Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Tom Newman, Andre Previn, Frank Zappa, and the list goes on.

He began his distinguished recording career in 1968 and opened his first studio, Ocean Way, in 1973—originally in Santa Monica. In 1977, he purchased the renowned United Recording and relocated to Hollywood. After acquiring Western Recording in 1979, he consolidated both venerable operations into Ocean Way Recording, where it still stands today. Ocean Way Nashville opened its doors on the famed Music Row in 1997.

Correct me if I'm wrong: you appear to be saying your audio spidey sense is keener and more finely tuned than a 46-year veteran of the recording industry with 400 albums to his credit, and that when he says he hears SQ differences among differing formats, sampling rates, etc., you think he needs to say "claims to hear"? Kinda just BS for him to say he hears what he hears?

To use your reasoning, if there were no such pronounced differences, logic would dictate that all the professionals -- like the host of this forum -- that hear the differences would not hear them, blind tests among various and sundry hobbyists notwithstanding. Like when Sides says (at about 16:20 in) "it's very distressing to me that there are some things that are very difficult to measure but that are very audible", that's just kinda BS on his part to say that though he can't quantify it he can still hear it? Think he's BS'ing everyone just for xxxts and grins? 46 years in the business?

Listen to 16:00 in to 18:00 or so. Listen to what he says about the JVC plants. An identical digital master can come out sounding different/degraded depending on how long the stamper was shut for crissakes (17:20 in or so). So much for bit perfect. "The amount of time the stampers held shut affected the sonics..." on CDs, tested at JVC. On digital. Same format, theoretically identical, different SQ -- according to the company making the copies.

I can put 'audiophile' on my business card, but if I'm not hearing any pronounced difference between an MP3 and a CD, the fact of my putting it on the card does not make it so.

So again I have to tip my hat and say Bravo! to that rare display of unwavering, not-taking-eyes-off -the-mirror-for-even-a-second kind of self confidence that has basically called people like the host of this forum, dozens, even hundreds of forum members, various and sundry professionals, and yours truly delusional for noting, describing and comparing the sound quality differences we hear. Oh, wait, 'claim to hear.' Can't prove we hear it.

Damn. Where's that sound quality meter? Gotta recalibrate it to awesome and see how my well-mastered MP3s sound.

14. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Remeber Mr Sides is selling product
    Ocean Way ,one of the finest analogue studios in the World
    His market is diminishing like footprints in the surf
    This is America
    Somebody is always selling something,especially on this silly web show .

moops likes this.
  15. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

so don't believe anybody?

16. missan

missan Forum Resident

I think there are many whom we can believe, just not in audio.

moops likes this.
  17. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Well, I'm glad I trusted and listened to someone rather than still listening to my Pioneer SX-6 and Sony PS-LX2 turntable with AR bookshelf speakers ('84) and a Sony multi-disc CD player all hooked up with OEM interconnects and 18awg wire.

But then I probably would have chunked it all in favor of wonderful sounding MP3s on my computer speakers. But that would give me more time to come on here and explain to everyone what they can and can't hear. ☺

Larry Johnson likes this.
  18. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I don't know; When he was describes TRYING to find out why these things happen, you can hear/feel his frustration. I don't think he's being disingenuous. He sounds very sincere in his frustration.

Also to put in my $.02 on the 'system that resolves' accurately statements, when you're a person that spends your life around real instruments, it's much easier to make that judgement on a playback system. Most speakers will never produce an acoustic guitar, or a snare drum for example the way you hear them when those instruments are right in front of you.

56GoldTop likes this.
  19. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

I love his work and studio
    However I can copy a cd to a file and it sounds better,not worse, so I am perplexed by his atitude
    It is LA land.

20. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

If this was cheese, it would be Swiss. :laugh:

Stephen Murphy likes this.
  21. EdogawaRampo

Yes, but sometimes -- and I am not saying this is commonplace -- someone is selling something worth buying. Rare, I know, but it can still happen. Hope springs eternal, anyway.

morinix likes this.
  22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

"What I don't like is with the digitization is that people aren't hearing quality sound, you know. The consumer's not getting what I hear everyday, which is just miles above, say, an MP3 or what most people are hearing -- their music off their phone or their computer."

- Tom Petty

morinix likes this.
  23. The Perfect Sound Forever gods had long ago decreed that it would sound the same.

24. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

The same could be said about transistor radios, 8-tracks, cassettes, and about 95% of LP playback systems currently in use.

"Digital = low quality" has become the new conventional wisdom. Thanks, Tom.

Billy Infinity and GetHappy!! like this.
  25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

He was lamenting the acceptance of lossy files or otherwise extremely lo-fi reproduced sound quality. I doubt that Petty would expect many of his fans to maintain $10,000+ high performance component audio systems. I would, however, expect him or anyone else to hold supposed enthusiasts to a much higher standard. If not us, then who?

With that said, I bet I'd need ear plugs if I bothered attending one of his shows. I'll save my ears for my stereo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.