Great Giant Killer Wolfsen DAC Dedicated CD player-Onkyo C-7030

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Beave, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

One note: GuildX700's Sansui is OOP, and if it were available, it would be going for hundreds more than the Onkyo. I liked GuildX700's review too, but I doubt that it sounds much better than Onkyo. The point is, are there any cd players in the $100. range that sound as good as the 7030? I will say, that the older players like the Sansui from the 80's have great transports that last for decades. One is lucky to get 5 years out of the new Chinese transports.

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You must since you bought THREE of them.

3. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

4. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it! Thread Starter

Good Points Tullman! We'll have to see five years from now if the 7030 is still holding it's own or just went down in flames.
    the beave

5. The Beave

Well.......o_O
    I did because I finally hit a financial level in my life where I CAN buy three....but they still have to be worth it and even then, I mean, when I look at the NAD 565Bee I have, Ok, I bought it as a demo for $560. But I got that money from selling some older electronics, so it afforded me the luxury of buying a deck like that. Now, would I have pulled out the CC and bought that deck for $560-HELL NOOOOOOOO. And I mean that. It was play money that bought it-a lot better than gambling and pissing your money away is my way of rationalizing it. But that deck had the most foo pa's of chinese manufacturing out of ALL the other decks I had. C'mon, three screws securing the MAIN circuit board to the chassis were so loose that I could turn them with my bare fingers?????? No wonder there are so many returns and complaints about 'out of box' failures. And this is NAD!!!!!!! Not Craig or Goldstar or .........(fill in the blanks of junk electronics companies you've known throughout the years), but NAD. And if an $800 deck can get out like that then all bets are off. So yeah, I saw they were well made and I bought three of them......
    Hey, even on a budget I can say I'm the king of something.
    the beave

6. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

I still don't get the pitch control feature that many Tascam CD players have. What would be the use of something like this on a CD player? It's only running the audio through extra digital processing, and that can't be good.

7. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident

Price check...

Another rollback

Now $129

GuildX700 likes this.
  8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Boy, they really want to move these don't they? If it hits under $100 I may just get a second one.

I think I cry uncle on the side by side tests though, it's not going to take down any of the other good vintage players I own, the 3 other ones are better than the Sansui by a pretty good margin.

Still, it's a nice player for the price. The "giant killer" thing is not happening though.

dirtymac, Ghostworld and bluemooze like this.
  9. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

I don't know.

10. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

If a musician or singer wants to perform with a CD, this could be of help as many things are recorded off pitch.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Sure, for $100 I'm sure it's a good deal.But the term "giant killer" is a cliche that gets bandied about frequently on forums and all too frequently turns out to be someone's over zealous hyperbole. Frankly if you compare six players -- three of the same brand (Marantz) and one pretty good player, but not spectacular (NAD) I don't think you're in the position of proclaiming a "good deal" is a "giant killer." if it sounded better that a Schitt DAC Or even a ten year old Rega Planet I'd be impressed. If I doesnt beat An old Sansui (which gets discounted because it sounds good "in Guildx700's system" but somehow the Onkyo isn't susceptible to the same restriction?) then I'll call it a nice player for the loot and also discount along with Guild the likelihood of any giants falling to its sonic prowess. I've been through about ten playerS (of different brands) and never would have claimed any was a giant killer over the others. Each hopefully offered a small incremental improvement or it got sold off and the current player remained.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    GuildX700 likes this.
  12. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Good summary.

And my main system I had it in isn't exactly incapable of a decent level of resolution. The current configuration is a pair of $4k Pioneer Elite TZ9 speakers bi amped with 2 modded Adcom 250 WPC GFA 5800 amps, a modded Adcom GFP 565 pre amp, all run on a dedicated 20 amp circuit wired direct to my main 200 amp breaker box.

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I already mentioned the dollar difference, thank you. And doubt all you want. The Onkyo did not stand up to that old Sansui., Sorry. And that is far from the best player I have. The Onkyo pretty much equaled my budget Yamaha CDC 600 player.

Ghostworld likes this.
  14. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

A bargain, sure. A giant killer, no. Thin sounding, yup.

15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Three opinions: one as good as a £1000 player, the other as good as a Yamaha multi-changer, but less good than an old Sansui from the 1980s and apparently also "thin-sounding". Who to believe? Surely it's all three...or make your own mind up. Personally, I'm nearer the Beave's perspective that I think it's probably a very good quality player that could stand up well against the £500 set. I'm not going to buy one (I have enough!) but I'm delighted that Onkyo has continued its strong showing and punching well above its weight again.

16. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Can a gort fix this thread's title to say 'Wolfson'?.. ;)

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well, I have to take your word for it, because I haven't heard the old Sansui that you have gotten to used to hearing for 25 years.

BTW, I don't consider it a giant killer. It is not even in the same zip code as my Esoteric and APL units. Now, for $126. this is a nice sounding unit for those that are looking for a budget cd player. I am using my 7030 in the garage system. I didn't want to spend much for a cd player there.

18. The Beave

Oh crap, my spelling again.......
    Sorry bout that.
    And maybe change the Giant Killer to A Killer Giant Deal! o_O
    But its nice that people are moved to post. And please don't get the idea that I'm picking on the Sansui. But keep in mind that in it's day that deck went for 5x's what the Onkyo lists for.
    Back in that day I could never afford, hell, a $300 let alone one that went over a thousand. Again though, it's my opinion and I explained how I got to this place. And if the NAD got nods for sounding a lot like.....the SuperNova, well just read it yourself: This is from Doug Schneider:

I’m not sure I knew exactly what to expect when I inserted the C 565BEE in my system, but I sure didn’t expect it to sound much like my reference CD player, a Simaudio Moon Evolution SuperNova ($6500). The SuperNova is of reference grade for both its build (massive, all-metal construction) and its sound -- the latter is basically beyond criticism. These two players weren’t similar in how they were built but in how they sounded -- when I closed my eyes and listened, I could swear that they weren’t just siblings, but identical twins. :yikes:

So if the 7030-to me-sounds pretty much identical to the NAD, and the NAD sounds an awful lot like the SuperNova, and the SuperNove goes for $6500, I would say that my opinion that the $139 Onkyo is a Giant Killer is completely valid. And from the HUNDREDS of happy buyers comments on Amazon, I'm not alone. So please don't take offense at this thread, just don't read it if your not interested in this killer deal of a CD player. This forum is supposed to be, amongst other things, FUN. Enjoy your Sansui and all the other cd players that you think are better than the Onkyo. But dont get so Anal about it that you start throwing darts. It's supposed to be fun and nothing more. :hide:

the beave

19. The Beave

Thank you Tullman for the sanity!
    I've already asked the gort to change it to "A Killer Giant of a Deal" :hide:

But, it did get people to look! :p
    The Beave

And if your ever in the Seattle area, bring your Esoteric with you and drop by. I'd truly like to hear it, even though I would have to die first, then come back to claim my own inheritance to be able to afford one!
    But for this life I'll stick to the 7030.

And belive me, if I truly heard more resolution or more fidelity from the NAD or Marantz or Sherbourn units I wouldn't be stupid enough to go back to the Onkyo, would not make any sense as I own all of those decks, I'm looking at the boxes right now as I type this. I'll quote Popeye: 'I ams what I ams and I's hear what I's hear'.

mikeyt likes this.
  20. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

21. The Beave

Yeah, (heavy sigh)-There is a japanese seller on Amazon but they want like $300 shipping!!
    I
    don't
    think
    so.
    the beaver

22. sfaxa

sfaxa Active Member

How does this compare to the Emotiva ERC-3?

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

How much is this unit?

24. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

It's ~$400 bucks maybe a little less.

25. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

It's "Wolfman". Already said it once.

c-eling likes this.