Great Giant Killer Wolfsen DAC Dedicated CD player-Onkyo C-7030

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Beave, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Elmo

Elmo Forum Resident

My C-7030 just arrived and I am dismayed to find that it makes a faint pop at the beginning of the first track of any CD and any track that I access directly via the navigation buttons. Also, rewinding produces irregular staticky noise. My 15 year old Onkyo CD changer doesn't have any of these problems. I'm debating returning it.

2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Something is wrong, return it.

3. Elmo

Elmo Forum Resident

Amazon is sending me a replacement and UPS is picking up the malfunctioning unit. Gotta love Amazon customer service.

dirtymac and RonW like this.
  4. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I bit and got a C-7030 from Amazon, which arrived a few days ago. It's not broken in yet (maybe 10 hours so far), but I'm already impressed -- very impressed. I don't have really high-end equipment, but this is already sounding better than the Yamaha, Cambridge, and Arcam disc players I have. At this price, I think it's a real steal.

RonW and mikeyt like this.
  5. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I have 20 hrs or so on mine and it's starting to open up more. It runs and sounds nice I'm glad I bought it. Can't beat the price that's for sure. I have no idea the break in time on this unit I'm just using it normally a few hours here and there. I can't say it sounds better or worse than any of my players it sounds just fine to me.

6. Elmo

Elmo Forum Resident

Could I connect a headphone amp directly to the C-7030?

RonW likes this.
  7. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

It has a decent already.

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

The Beave said....."I'll quote Popeye: 'I ams what I ams and I's hear what I's hear"

And I can say the same thing.
    I hear it as a toss up with my budget, yet a bit more expensive Yamaha changer. Both have 24 bit DAC's, both have reasonable power supplies and build considering the price. It could not stand up to a higher end older player, let alone a newer serious digital setup. It's a very nice low budget player, period.

To remove all doubt as to it's giant killer status, do you want me to put it up against my classic high end hulking 40 pound Pioneer Elite PD-S95 transport currently using a reasonably priced late version Musical Fidelity M1DAC? It would not fare very well, I assure you.

We all sometimes like to think we have somehow found audio hardware sonic heroes on a shoestring budget.

I remember the silly hoopla around a cheap portable $129 Radio Shack CD player many, many years ago, it was the silliest thing I'd ever seen, or heard.

You want a great CD player for cheap, this is it. You want a great sounding CD player, and now cost starts to be less of a consideration, this is not it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  9. MrTim

MrTim Forum Resident

Hi I need some opinions here. I am saving to buy one of these Onkyo's but would like to know if it will sound better than what I have. I have two Sony's a CDP211 and a CDP XE500 both made in the 90's I believe. If anyone has similar decks to compare can you let me know your thoughts I am on a tight budget and don't' want to waste my cash. Thanks.

10. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

My guess is, in your current listed system..... you'll be hard pressed to hear a difference between it and your CDP XE500. Now...if those players are giving you issues, you can't go wrong for the price of this unit. Looks like it is back up to $139.

11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

So after 11 pages, and all the money spent by forum members on this item, it turns out that no one can cite even a single instance where this thing kills a giant? :laugh:

Robert C likes this.
  12. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

It never did, bad title for the thread. Nice, budget player, posted by an over enthusiastic owner.

moops and bluemooze like this.
  13. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

You can connect a headphone amp directly to the tape out RCA connectors.

14. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it! Thread Starter

Tullman, the ERC-3 goes for $499 on the Emotiva site. I have the 'upper scale' version from
    Sherbourn-th CD-1. The main difference is the ERC-3 uses a tray loader while the CD-1 used
    a slot loader which the customers didn't like. The CD-1 listed for $699.
    the beave

15. The Beave

Yeah, I get it!o_O
    The meds hadn't kicked in yet when I named it. Unbridled Audio Enthusiasm at it's finest!! :righton:
    Hey, Happy Sunday to all of you out there today. It's nice and Sunny in Seattle. Gonna be a good day
    tracking Dire Straights Brothers in Arms right now on a Classic, well, maybe Classic Pioneer PL-516 Belt drive turntable.
    Sounds just right for a Sunday morning. :p
    the beave

mikeyt likes this.
  16. The Beave

Elmo, don't debate, return it and try a replacement unit. We have to be vigilant about such things in this global economy. Also remember, it's summer time and even I am 'shocking' some of my equipment because of static electricity. But if it's doing it time after time while your just standing there, then there is a problem.
    That's why we use Amazon.
    Let us know how it goes.
    and don't be disillusioned.
    the beave

17. MrTim

MrTim Forum Resident

Thank you for your input both Sony's work fine, Thank you for saving me some cash Guildx700

18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

You mean you're not going to try it out for yourself? No risk to your cash short of the return postage. Really? What do you have to lose? If you find the same, you lose return postage, then again, you might agree with the Beave? I've never used anyone else's comments as the last word. It's my opinion that counts when I'm buying for me and me who decides, regardless of what anyone else thinks. My view? Try it - the only way you'll really know.

RonW likes this.
  19. The Beave

Greg, Nice Review on Amazon!! :righton:
    And I like your suggestion to Onkyo, That would be an interesting deck with a Wolfson (I think I got the spelling right), 32 bit DAC.
    One thing I omitted before was that I actually had the step up Onkyo model of this deck, the 7070 that lists for $699. And I was disappointed in it. The solid Aluminum tray was clunky and noisy and the sound quality did not better the 7030. And the inside guts weren't significantly better than the 7030. Missed opportunity from Onkyo. But it is what it is.
    I would like to see them take up your advice though. That would be a very interesting deck, especially if they price pointed it at around the $500 to compete with the Marantz CD6005. :uhhuh:
    Take Care.
    Time to hit the shower, I'm starting to stink!
    the beave in Sunny Seattle (if you can believe that)!

One other question, what is an LE-CS7032?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  20. The Beave

Great. Mine usually took about 48 hours or so before the sound settled into what it's supposed to be. But it's fun isn't it? Actually listening to it develop it's character? I used Dave Brubecks 'Time Out' Cd as my break in cd because it's recorded very well, has soft spots and a lot of hard loud percussion parts also. And the Air in the recording is a very good meter on where the player is at sonically. So enjoy and keep us up to date. But make sure you like it before the 30 day return period.
    the beave

21. The Beave

Hey Gorts! Are you going to change the Thread name?? (Your probably having too much fun watching me being shot down in flames :winkgrin:).
    Nice AC/DC reference there eh????
    In any case, it's good to see so many people still having some interest in the CD format. :)
    the beave

PH416156 likes this.
  22. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

See what all you people have done by buying a bunch of them??? Price back up to what it was before!!! The law of supply and demand, the basic governing factor of the capitalist economy, at work. I want it at $99, dammit, and I want in in silver, like the EU model, only then I'll bite ;)

23. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Looks like yesterday was the all time low.

bluemooze likes this.
  24. The Beave

LOL!!!!!!
    GuildX, how the hell do you come up with this.....totally cool.
    Excellent Graph!
    the beave

25. Elmo

Elmo Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.