Great Giant Killer Wolfsen DAC Dedicated CD player-Onkyo C-7030

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Beave, Jul 5, 2014.

1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

There's several sites that can do graphs. Google is your friend. This one was done specific to Amazon, my guess is the price across the net would be about the same.

2. MrTim

MrTim Forum Resident

My Sony's transport is fine thinking of going with a external DAC by Muse instead of a new player.

mikeyt likes this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Wow, that is pretty cool. I would hate to be the guy who paid $249. and see the prices now.

4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

In fairness, that was what, two years ago? Granted, I rarely buy brand new and most of the gear I have came either used or discounted in a good sale. On the other hand, this player's new price want too much of a hit.

My AVI Laboratory Series CD player clicked on at £1500 in 2003. I finally got mine ten years later, in near mint shape, for £300. That's a long time to wait, but it took that long for even the used price to come down to my sphere. You pays your money...!

5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Try me....purchased at $200.00 from Vanns.com

I dare them to go lower than $120.00....I will pick one up for a spare.

bhazen and c-eling like this.
  6. trip1

trip1 Forum Resident

Has anyone given any thoughts to do any mods to their player since they have listened to it for awhile?

7. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

First thing that came to my mind was to use black modeling paint to black out the MP3 logo on the front panel, next to the CD logo. I'm sure it would improve the sound ;)

Dino and Daniel Thomas like this.
  8. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I had a chance to compare the Onyko C7030 against a Musical Fidelity M1DAC A and PS Audio DLIII. (auditioning with Harbeth 7ES3 and Luxman Integrated 100W Amp)

When compared to the M1DAC, the Onkyo falls short on the low end frequencies and drive. The Onkyo has very nice mids and high end that is non-fatiguing. A tad more detail in the mids than the MF DAC but its very close. I'd say the Onkyo wins in the mids but definately loses in the lower frequencies thump and punch. Sounds like its missing the very lowest audible octave band.

The C7030 when compared to the PS Audio DLIII is much different in voicing. The DLIII seems to have a mid -bass bump which can add to a lot of excitement - especially for rock cds or help with music that lack slightly in bass. For my ststem I prefer this with my Harbeths which need a little bit of help on the lower end. The mids I think for the DLIII are very close to the Onkyo with the DLIII winning out slightly in detail. The DLIII can sound hard sometimes on the high end but that varies with recordings. The Onkyo has a very nice smooth high end that never really offends.

Overall the Onkyo is very nice considering the money, but for my setup does not compete with the Musical Fidelity M1DAC A or PS Audio DLIII considering its missing the lowest frequencies. This will vary with system setups and room acoustics but these were my particular results...

9. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it! Thread Starter

Ouch...............

the beave

10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it! Thread Starter

Very Nice write up Theron!
    Interesting to see these comparisons. What Luxman Int do you have?

the beave

11. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Luxman L-505u 100W PP

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I am now doing a side by side comparison of the $250. 7030 and the $1500. 7000R. As expected the 7000R is the better unit, not only in fit, finish and build quality, but sonically as well. The 7000R does things you would expect, like more air around the instruments/ natural timbre and better sound stage. However the 7030 showed itself very well for being much less expensive.

bluemooze, The Beave and mikeyt like this.
  13. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

And, once again, the EU model is available in a choice of black or silver, while North America is stuck with a black box only. I know it has nothing to do with the sound, but it is insulting that some corporate clone is making decisions about what they think people prefer...especially when they are already producing them in both versions.

That aside, it looks like a really good machine, simple layout, all the right connections, separate power supplies and separate DACs (Burr-Brown PCM1792) for each channel. Here is a look inside for those interested:

http://www.avland.co.uk/aasp/onkyo/1020/c7000r/internallrg.jpg

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Here is the 7000R in black.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and c-eling like this.
  15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The silver in anodized aluminum would really pop!

16. Elmo

Elmo Forum Resident

My replacement unit also pops at the start of each track that I access directly! Am I the only one hearing this? I've got my headphones plugged into the headphone jack. It's very faint, but it's audible.

17. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

Try a different CD / data disk, is it still audible ?

18. Elmo

Elmo Forum Resident

Naturally, that was the first thing I tried. I also tried other electrical outlets.

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Do hear this pop when playing the unit through speakers? I just tried headphones on the 7030 I just got from amazon and I do not hear any pops. I can hear the laser engaging the new tracks on the headphone turned up to the max and I don't hear it through speakers.

You might be hearing the laser drive switching. Does it pop when you are not accessing tracks?

I believe you are being REALLY anal about the sounds you are hearing. The sound doesn't affect the music.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  20. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I get it in the left channel only. It's an extremely quiet "pop," but it's there. It's actually more of a "tick" than a "pop" - at least what I'm hearing. I also hear it when I scan forward or back. It doesn't do it all the time, but it is repeatable. I'm listening on headphones.

I'm not sure it's worth the hassle for me to send it back, as I don't find it particularly distracting.

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I think that clicking sound is inherent to this unit.We're not talking about I didn't even notice it the first time I listened on headphones. I thought I would hear a pop and is sounded like the transport locking onto the track.

22. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Left channel also, but very intermittent, every now and then, seems to stop after she's warmed up abit, attenuators didn't help, not concerned at the price I paid, Now if it were a 400 buck machine I'd be ticked :)

23. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

Just ordered a black 7030 thanks to this thread. Quite a bit more expensive than in the States but still a good deal.

24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I'm not hearing any noises.

25. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Put a CD in!

Greg Carrier likes this.