Great Giant Killer Wolfsen DAC Dedicated CD player-Onkyo C-7030

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Beave, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Don't forget the eye of newt!

2. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

It'll possibly take the printing off, but this stuff (acetone) has funny chemical reactions, and can damage surfaces, usually leaving a muddy semi-colored mess behind.

3. kellybob

kellybob Member

I did a quick search and found this (last post): http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/4841-shielding-transformer.html

Notice the transformer in the 7030 does have a copper shield.
    The copper block seems to be interacting with the magnetic flux in suck a way as to "balance" the tranformer out making it quieter.

I have found that with torroids removing the metal bolt and plate/s that hold them down improves the sound. This is a well known tweak. I remove all the metal it if possible or replace the center bolt with brass if not. I was planning on removing the transformer and placing it on a piece of wood and tie wrapping using the mounting screw holes. This is also a well known tweak. I will try this eventually on my DX-7555 when I get it.

4. kellybob

kellybob Member

I agree, especially if you apply my tweaks!

I was going to keep it for the headphone output alone and just remove the cover when listening or cut a square of wood for a dust cover. Well, I would have tried another unit to see if the hum was gone, but then probably woud have kept it even if it hummed. Hopefully the DX-7555 , with the just about must have for me polarity inversion, has a nice headphone section also. And I found the service manual for it, so I can tweak away.

I was using Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones (38 ohms) with the center plastic driver guards cut out. It would not drive these into distortion or blow my ears out, but it got plenty loud for me.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  5. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

Well, it arrived today with some decent QED interconnects. Very initial impression (listening to disc 1 of the Robert Johnson Centenial Collection) is wow. I didn't know what I was missing - there's a bottom end. And detail! I had been using my Sony BluRay player, but this even just out of the box blows it away. Wonder what it will sound like when it gets burned in? Any suggestions for a CD to use for burnin?

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Any CD will work, but you might as well just listen to your favourites.

7. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I put in my hottest full length CD and just let it play on repeat for a few days.

8. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

How exactly does a cd player break in? I don't know much about a cd players internal parts. Doesn't the laser read the disc? How would that change after breaking the player in?

9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

The mechanical parts of the laser unit moving can wear in a bit, electronic components tolerances can changed slightly from initial temperature build up shock, especially capacitors as their material reacts to the heat inside the unit.

For my ears..... speakers and phono cartridge stylus break in the most dramatically, followed by amplifiers and any components with tubes, lower temperature operating components like preamps and CD players I don't notice as much of a dramatic difference. YMMV.

Jerryb likes this.
  10. Dr Faustus

Yup, I am doing that. The Robert Johnson CD is fantastic! But I was looking for what CD I should leave in playing when I'm not listening to it.

11. Dr Faustus

Cool - just a good CD then. Thanks!

12. Dr Faustus

I used to have (my ex-wide now has) a really good Musical Fidelity CD player. It's sound improved dramatically after about a week of heavy use. Part of that is my getting used to it, I'm sure. But I do think it makes a bit of difference. Maybe not a huge amount, but enough that leaving a CD in playing for a few days seems a no-brainer to me. As you say, though, YMMV.

13. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

That entire section of your entry starting with 'Disc Name' thru 'Asb' all deal with MP3 and WMA constructed discs (I've never made one of those and don't plan to). I don't see that they would apply to normal CD's. Am I wrong ?

I switched on my 'repeat all' though..and really can't hear a difference from no repeat engaged. Are you sure that's not 'snake-oil' ?

My 'display' in on Full-Bright anyway...as most of those settings are set the way you mention as default.

Seeing all those setting points I worried I hadn't been taking full advantage of the sound with my unit. I rest assured now that I've been OK. Sheesh man....:sigh:

Robert C likes this.
  14. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it! Thread Starter

Guys......it's a JOKE, you've been Punked! :biglaugh:
    the beave

15. Metralla

really? Why would such a detailed post be a joke?

16. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it! Thread Starter

I don't know. But read the original again. It's pretty absurd. Some people like pranking I guess.
    the beave

anyone know where I can score a 3 lb piece of copper to sit on my cd player to keep the noise down??

Robert C likes this.
  17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I had to put my ear against the top in order to hear the hum. Wow.
    Yeah, it seemed odd that Kelly would go through all of that trouble for a $136. cd player. I pretty much ignored it because I thought it absurd. Moving wires around while playing the unit, absurd . Guild caught on and then went with the 3lb blocks of metal. I was thinking, absurd and why does a guy have 3lb blocks of different metals lying around. Stutipidos.

mikeyt likes this.
  18. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Frankly I'm dead serious, the copper eliminated the faint hum from the transformer.

I have quite a few blocks and bars of various metals, my dad used to work in this metals shop when I was a kid, he used to bring me home these cool looking bars and blocks of scrap that he had polished up to look really nice. Copper, stainless, aluminum, heck he even brought me home a 12" section of railroad track one time. That has to weigh 40 pounds! I still have it. Makes a great anvil. He also brought me home a lot of cool magnets.

I also have a collection of cool looking slabs of marble, granite and such from my brother, he used to work in a marble/stone factory. They make nice isolation slabs for turntables and such.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  19. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

EMI (electro-magnetic interference, not the record company) is not a joke. I had an old Motorola cell phone with a semi-fluorescent display. Every time I had that phone near equipment and opened it, the display lit up and I could hear a faint hum in my headphones. When the display went off, so did the hum. Just one silly example. If you listen closely, you can go nuts. So, tinker on, there is always room for improvement!

GuildX700 likes this.
  20. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

It happens to the best of us ! :D

I wasn't even worried about the other tweaks but thought those settings might be something of substance. NADA for me.

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well.. if your dad worked in a metal shop, that makes sense.

22. kellybob

kellybob Member

I was not attempting to punk anyone in any of my posts. I hear what I hear. I love audio because you can hear many interactions (cause and effect) that you cannot see. You can hear into the mystical (spiritual) part of life, if you will. The physical being the manifestation of the spiritual.

I am aware some will dismiss my experience without even trying it for themselves. I also realize some may not be able to hear the difference. I listen to the components which to me is diffferent than hearing them. Listening is an ability that you can develop. Listening also requires your brain, your entire body even. I usually drink a little wine and weed as this seems to shut down part of my brain that sucks energy from my senses, particularly hearing. It seems to lower my mental signal to noise ratio. Some of these tweaks are hard to hear when not "high", but are far easier to hear when high. The weed doing this mainly, not the wine. They actually do different things, and combined do something different.

It took me a long time to hear the effects of absolute polarity. But I kept listening and testing and now am getting where I can tell without having to go back and forth. I tweak and listen like this quite a lot. I enjoy and I can tell that my listening ability has has gotten better over time as I practice it. This is simply cause and effect at work.

I thought GuildX700 might have been playing with me when he came back so soon and said he had bent a metal cover. I read these forums, but do not post much. I read other audio forums and realize that often when someone posts tweaks like this they get attacked and made fun of, etc.

There seems to be only two kinds. Those that have an open mind and will give things a try to see what happens for themselves and those that have a closed mind and, not only will they not try for themselves, they try to convince everyone else that what someone says they experience is not possible. That is why in one post I stated something like I do have a general explanation, but it will not be good enough to convince a non-believer. I do not want to discuss the why I think something made a difference as the non-believers are not really searching for an explanation, they just want to attack and discredit any explanation you come up with. If someone hears the difference, then perhaps I will discuss the why, but I have no desire to discuss the theory with someone who has already made up their mind, as they are not actually seeking the truth.

I posted this information out of appreciation. I appreciated that GuildX700 posted his findings. Although I did not keep the 7030, I had a ton of fun playing with it and it led me to find a NOS DX-7555 that was something I wanted when they were new. His sharing started me down an enjoyable path. He functioned as a good friend in that he furthered my enlightenment (yes, I am Buddhist). I have been looking for a replacement CD player for a while. And I have the service manual for 7555 and have been studying it and I am sure my future path with it is going to be enjoyable. So I gave back to him and everyone by sharing my enjoyment. This is a great player. I enjoy the tweaking. I love it when people post tweaks like this or things I have not thought of that then take me down a path of discovery. That is the intent of my posts.

23. Metralla

I did not think so.

That's the part that really annoys me. Why do they care?

24. kellybob

kellybob Member

All my testing was with normal commercial CD's. So yes, they do apply to normal CD's.

Not all of the settings apply strictly to MP3 CD's. Do you think that when you apply say the read ID3 tags you are not changing the behavior for normal CD's. You have changed the behavior of the drive in that it does not look for this information at all. It will look for the information when you put in any disc, yes? So you just changed its behavior for all discs, yes? Not that this is a full explanation, as I do not consider it one.

And at some point you are changing the internal workings of a chip/circuit that is probably running all the time which interacts with its environment all the time. Cause and effect is perhaps the only thing that has no boundaries. Not that this a full explanation either, but I think most people can feel the vibe that others give off, yes? How do you explain this? Oneness of life and environment.

A transformer is very interesting in that there is no physical connection between the primary and secondary. The energy flows through space. Yes, this mechanism can be far further explained, but there still is no physical connection, but yet cause and effect flows. The sound you hear is all coming from the transformer that has no physical connection to the wire that then goes into the wall. This is amazing in itself!

Arvid Audio likes this.
  25. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I have no issues with somebody claiming they can hear something. It's when the claim starts to involve the slightly bizarre, or encourages someone else to spend some (often serious) cash, then I get interested and challenge. Flicking the menu options on the player changes the sound? Really? Putting it on repeat? Really? I'd suggest - and generously at that - that this would result in a 1% change tops. Onkyo - who's products I admire greatly - must have turned in something else here.

Tullman and Jerryb like this.