Great Giant Killer Wolfsen DAC Dedicated CD player-Onkyo C-7030

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Beave, Jul 5, 2014.

1. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I've not experienced the click(s) while listening to playback, only on the scan, so can you describe it a bit more? Is it just a single click, or is it a random series of clicks? Is it always in only one channel, or is it both?

I'm sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience with this player and its replacements.

2. rzahl

rzahl Forum Resident

No clicking here. Just got my Schiit Modi which will soon be followed by a headphone amp.

Looks like at least one authorized Onkyo online dealer has if for less than $140, but the others have not followed suit.

3. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

4. RSMM

RSMM New Member

It clicks very noticeably when pressing and releasing scan buttons, only in the left channel. Apparently that's the norm that Onkyo doesn't know or won't admit and what put me through all this. Apparently all the 7030s do it. One can't hear it scanning through loud music or, ironically, silent pre-gaps, just moderate-low volume music. So if you start the scan in a pre-gap or loud passage and end in a quiet passage, you'll only perceive the click on the release of the button; and vice versa. It must have something to do with the muting circuits not kicking in fast enough; and they wouldn't have to come into play at all on silent pre-gaps. That bit of sloppy engineering was no problem. The clicks during the music, again always in the left channel, were single, intermittent, and usually not reproducible. One could go for fifteen minutes without noticing one, and they're quieter than the scan clicks. It's like a single tick on an LP, and just as annoying. If you catch it, and scan backwards, sometimes you'll get it to happen again, but usually not. This sounds like some kind of laser misreading; it happens with any disc I played (I listen to classical). I never experienced anything like this on other players, even the most humble.

5. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I've read all 324 Amazon reviews for the 7030 and not one review mentions the clicks.

noahjld likes this.
  6. RSMM

RSMM New Member

You must not have noticed. There are a great number of them. People who gave the Onkyo glowing reviews don't dwell on it. Those who are bothered by it mention in at length, sometimes as the reason they exchanged the unit, found the next one was the same, and ended up ditching it for a Marantz, NAD, or Yamaha. In fact, the Amazon reviews were the way I found out I wasn't alone. I discussed the issue with several people on Amazon in lengthy exchanges. One in particular (Sept 8, 2014 if I recall), gives a very detailed technical report and talks about the clicks on scan and we have an on-line exchange; he was told by Onkyo that his unit was defective, and exchanged it and bought a second, finding that both were identical. People describe it as 'pops,' 'crackling', 'ticks' and genrally pin it down to the left channel. If you really want to see the reviews, I can give you lots of exact URLs but that sounds like a waste of time.

Jerryb likes this.
  7. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I just put a cd in my 7030 and hit the scan button and I did hear a series of very faint clicks in the left channel. But how does a faint click on fast forward detract from the player? You're not actually listening to the music in fast forward. But your right I hear the clicks.

Tullman likes this.
  8. RSMM

RSMM New Member

It doesn't detract. That's what I said. My problem was that the clicking wasn't confined--in any of my three attempts--to scan (and it's in both directions, caused when you press and release the button). Every once in a while, you hear one *during* the music on any CD. Now that does detract from the player. To be honest, I'd even have lived with it because of the amazing sound, but the units I got were also physically marred, clearly repacks, which was unacceptable when sold as new. What's Onkyo sending to Amazon's Carlisle, PA warehouse?

9. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

You missed them then. I just read 8 reviews to find 2 that mention it.

10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it! Thread Starter

Ok, two things here RSMM. First, is the 7030 you have NOW in new condition? (more on this later). Two, have you tried a different set of RCA cables connecting the 7030 to your amp?
    Since I started this thread, and haven't had, in 7-7030's i've owned and burned in, one instance of 'clicks' during playback. If you want to ship your 7030 to me, and it's in new condition, and pay for shipping to you, I'll send you what I KNOW is a good, no clicking 7030 that's been properly burned in and has NO issues and that I've used in my system for at least 5 weeks with no issues.
    As I've said, I've had 7 of these decks, with three in my closet for insurance-all of which I burned in for 7 days running straight to make sure that there were no electronic issues. So if you want, I can do this for you. But be prepared, if you do this and one of my units causes 'clicks' on your system, then there is something going on in YOUR system, NOT the 7030.
    My Best,
    the beave

11. RSMM

RSMM New Member

That is so nice of you! But at present I only have the last of the undisclosed, cosmetically marred repacks, and that's going back; it did the same thing as the others anyway. The first player was well played in and did not change in that regard from the first day (though the sound certainly bloomed); I should have kept that one, and would have if Onkyo hadn't advised me not to, but I had no information at the time. And believe me, I've been doing audio stuff for 35 years, so I know how to troubleshoot very thoroughly. Not only did I use many sets of cables, I switched them L-R/R-L to prove that the clicks were always in the left channel from the player. I tried four other CD players of my own--of varying quality, none of which behaved like the three successive Onkyos. I went through the whole process on two different amps--one, ironically, an old Onkyo (!). Always the same result. The clicks on play are easy to miss because they are rare, quiet, and inconsistent. For two weeks during play-in, whenever I heard one, I assumed it was a room noise, my chair, my jaw, part of the music. It was only at the moment when one occurred while I happened to be next to the left speaker that I realized what was going on. That one was repeatable as well, but only once. That's the thing about this symptom: it takes one by surprise and the chances of a repeat performance are minimal (though some reported it's not so minimal or difficult to repeat). It's worse when you listen to the kind of music I do, which is, by nature, quiet and varied texturally, so the gain must be increased. I was willing to ignore it (as it seems ubiquitous) and unpredictable, but the Onkyo 'replacements' I kept getting had other issues that killed the deal.

12. tctan79

tctan79 New Member

Tullman - did you ever get a chance to compare the c-7000r to an oppo 105 for audio? sorry, i would have pm'ed you but i don't think i can since i'm a newbie on this forum.

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, I did compare the Oppo to the Onkyo. The Oppo sounds better when playing an HDCD encoded disc. The Onkyo 7000r sounds noticably better on standard cds.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

My new Onkyo DX-C390 does exactly as you describe above. Did the noise ever go away? Is this something common during the break in period?

15. Elmo

Elmo Forum Resident

The noise went away when I returned the unit to Amazon :). The replacement did the same thing, however, so I returned that one, too. Someone who kept theirs will have to comment on break-in.

16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Mine did on the 7030, I don't think this normal behavior , not once on any other player have I heard this

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks guys, I returned mine tonight and didn't bother trying another. I'm gonna stick with Yamaha.

c-eling likes this.
  18. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Mine is starting to act funny on some discs, it sounds like the discs are rubbing against something. I'm going to have to pull it apart and see what's going on.

19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I think I know what you're referring to and Onkyo isn't the only player that does this. I've had a few brands where there's been a clicking sound. If I'm scanning (which I do once in a blue moon) then I just accept it as a feature of the player in that mode. I don't see it as a deal breaker at all. If it happened during regular play it'd be in the box and back to base.

Jerryb likes this.
  20. MrTim

MrTim Forum Resident

This what I have found on the audible tics when changing tracks. On the remote and front panel if you hold the button down to long (which is not long at all) it will start to search ergo the tic sound. If you depress the skip track button quickly no tics so there you have it, hopefully this puts the tic thing to bed.

Jerryb likes this.
  21. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

I bought this CD player (based on this thread discussion) back when this thread was started in July of last year (I was just a lurker at that time). This player makes my CD's sound so good, that I now regret that I sold about 98% of my 300+ CD collection 4 years ago. I had started that collection in 1988, but having ported my whole collection over to my iPod, I never thought I would bother with CD's again. Luckily, I never sold my old Barry Diament-mastered Led Zeppelin CD's. Slowly piecing my collection back together.

Anyway, thanks for alerting me to this great (and affordable) CD player!

DaverJ and Jerryb like this.
  22. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

After reading this thread a while back, I bought a C-7030 when they were $139 on Amazon. Absolutely LOVE the way it sounds. Thanks to the Beave and others who contributed to this discussion.

I was worried about how long this player would hold up, though, so I decided to pick up a C-7070 while I could still get one. Finally got to fire it up last night, and it sounds even better than the C-7030. Very happy to have these, and I feel like they're both real bargains in their price ranges.

23. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

I've had my C7030 over 2 ears and never noticed the clicking, but then again I don't scan. I just play the whole track.

24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Mine will play anything I toss at it, very old beat up home brew Cd's, any brand. Very odd that yours would have an issue with that. Do those CD's play ok in other players?

25. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

And an update, I had an issue with skipping, turns out the weight of my cassette deck sitting on top of the C7030 caused it to skip, the weight must have been pushing the top cover to rub on something.

So anyone that has issues and has anything sitting on top of the player should remove it from the top of the player and see if the problem stops.