Great Giant Killer Wolfsen DAC Dedicated CD player-Onkyo C-7030

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Beave, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Ha! I remember a batch of ICL PCs in the 90s that would stop working when you placed a monitor on top of the box. The weight caused too much deflection in the motherboard resulting in small cracks. Removing the monitor allowed the cracks to close and damn if they wouldn't start working again.

2. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

I've had no issues with my C7030 over the past couple years.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have two 7030s and they both play cdr's, with no issues.

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Wanted to report that over the past couple months, I've begun hearing transformer hum from my C-7030. It's not very loud, and it does nothing to detract from my headphone listening, but I did want to mention it. I'm about 90% sure it wasn't humming like this when it was brand new.

I do have a very light OPPO DV-970HD that sits directly on top of the C-7030, but it's been there from the beginning, so I don't think it's related to that.

Still really love the way the C-7030 sounds. Was listening to Crowded House's Temple Of Low Men a couple nights ago - which I haven't spun in many, many moons - and don't recall it ever sounding as good as it did that evening. On the flip side, I also listened to the original US release of Boston's Don't Look Back, and thought it sounded harsh and metallic. I followed that up with the Don't Look Back original US LP, and that sounded organic and smooth. So, it must just be a crappy sounding CD.

5. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

I'm not sure,but I think your 7030 was just holding out for this:
    [​IMG]

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  6. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I've got hum in mine too. Can't hear it at all when listening to music, even at a low level. But when on, but not playing, I can hear the hum throughout the room. It's faint to be sure, but still detectable. Somewhat a non-issue though because of it's absence with the disc playing.

Was it this thread where someone was saying how they eliminated the hum ? Putting a weight on the transformer or something ? o_O

7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I have an original double "wly" pressing of Boston S/T, so that's my go-to for enjoying that album. Nothing can beat it, IMHO - sorry 7030! ;)

8. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I think it is in this thread, somewhere. Your hum sounds exactly like mine - audible throughout the room, but very faint and a non-issue, really.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

A hum being produced by a CD player is a non issue?

10. OnTheRoad

Insofar as when it's playing. Not sure what it means, hopefully it'll last...but when it's playing, I don't hear it at all. Can't afford another at this point so it is what it is. :shrug:

11. OnTheRoad

Cant really do that. I'm not even sure that Vann's, online who I bought from while I was in Utah, is even still in existence.

Funny too....I've asked others when in my room if they can hear the humm and they can't. Seems most people are so used to constant noise they've lost aspects of their hearing.

If my player continues to play without issue, I'll just live with the humm. I don't have my player on long at all without a disc actually playing in it. So...as I've said, with these conditions, I'll live with it.

Heck...when it's raining the sound of the pitter patter is MUCH louder than anything else around me. Even the wind. I just crank my amp that much more. :D

What I can't stand, and fortunately I don't have one right now, is an in-window air conditioner or a loud refrigerator or other annoyances distracting from my listening entertainment.

I really like my 7030.

jriems likes this.
  12. batriq

batriq New Member

I just bought one from newegg thanks to the recommendation here (they're an authorized Onkyo dealer). Has anyone tried recapping their player? From what I could tell in the pictures, it seems to exclusively use TK caps. I wonder if Panasonic FM/FC or Nichicon HW/HE would raise the player's level up a notch.
    Thanks

13. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

I had one bought for me last year as birthday present.
    I am only now starting to enjoy it after a series of ear infections that affected both ears.

floweringtoilet and jriems like this.
  14. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Listening to the DCC Cars s/t CD on my C-7030 right now, and it sounds fantastic.

Dr Faustus likes this.
  15. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

That's the first disc I listened to in my C-7030 and man, it really does sound good.

jriems likes this.
  16. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

I never did get mine replaced or fixed. I guess it will go into a dumpster. I played about a dozen cd s before it started to cut out one channel at a time.

17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Read the thread. :)

c-eling likes this.
  18. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

While this thread was just bumped, I am highly doubting this players ability to decode pre-emphasis as was stated awhile ago, in the SUB and the TOC
    New Order-Low-Life was the test subject
    Japan for UK =SUB
    Australian Disctronics =TOC
    both share the same peak levels

19. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

My 7030 has been on and running 24/7 for over a year now. The only issue I had was too much weight placed on the top of the unit made it skip, it must have been flexing the CD drive. Once the weight was removed it was fine again. And no clicking issues.

20. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

No weight on mine. No clicking. It just cuts out one channel at a time on and off, volume low then high on one side or the other.

21. duvallite

duvallite Well-Known Member

Has anyone modified their 7030 so it can take a better quality power cord? If so, how did you do it, and did you notice an improvement in SQ?

22. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Not to highjack this thread guys but I'm using an old Onkyo DX-730 from 1998 that I have always enjoyed its sound. No tracking issues either. Would love to compare the 7030 to it though.

23. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

It''s much easier to just use the Onkyo as a transport to an outboard quality DAC..I recently bought a Schiit Bitfrost Uber here on the forum which I'm now using with a Rega Apollo, but which I also hooked up to other players I have including the Onkyo, a 1989 Philips CD-50, and a Denon DVD 1940 ci. They all sounded much better with the Bitfrost; the Onkyo came in third though, the Philips player sounded better, and the Rega better still.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Mine is getting a workout this weekend with latest Zep remasters and they sound great!

c-eling likes this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Your link is to Amazon, not Stereophile. Are you saying that buried somewhere in the Amazon reviews is one from Stereophile?