Great Giant Killer Wolfsen DAC Dedicated CD player-Onkyo C-7030

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Beave, Jul 5, 2014.

1. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I don't know if this is the wrong thread to ask, but has anyone heard the Onkyo Reference C-7000R CD player? I am intrigued by it and wonder how it sounds.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  2. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

It sounds really detailed but not overly etched. Neutral in tone. Very musical, maybe a touch bright for my taste, but I wouldn’t consider it bright at all, I just like more warmth. The bass seems better on the 7070 but that is more muddy in comparison to the 7000r.

I sold the 7000r and got a MHDT canary dac

But having also had the SA8005 I would say the 7000r is better for redbook.

I’d get one again and I might since I can get them for about as much as I sold it a rerfurb at least. I’d use it as a cd transport and when I wanted a delta sigma dac and solid state. It’s got a handy button on the front to switch between digital and analogue only modes.

Frankly I think the Onkyo stuff looks perfect. Love the clean lines.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Brother_Rael, bluemooze and bruce2 like this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have a C-7000R. I think it is a very nice cd player. It definitely sounded better with cds than my Oppo 105.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    bluemooze and bruce2 like this.
  4. rac1

rac1 Active Member

Best Onkyo would do is provide free box & pre-paid mailer to central service center-as opposed to me getting it to local service center.

We will see what happens...

patient_ot likes this.
  5. rac1

rac1 Active Member

Finally got the 7030 back from service (over a month & 1/2, which is fine; I can wait): exactly the same; still hums. (from unit, not thru speakers)

First, they claimed nothing wrong, then decided to replace power transformer after consultation with Onkyo.

Is a low hum normal? Onkyo tech told me it is not; but now I am wondering.

6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Normal, probably not. My Feb 2014 doesn't hum. If it bothers you I'd file another complaint for an exchange.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. seikosha

seikosha Forum Resident

Have you tried plugging it in at different outlets or even a different location like a friends house? The unit could be fine, the hum could be an indication of a problem with your electricity.

patient_ot and martinb4 like this.
  8. rosshahn

rosshahn Forum Resident

Mine has always hummed at least a little. It really growls when the humidifier is on in the room. I think it's just really susceptible to dirty electricity.

9. edmondbob

edmondbob Forum Resident

I bought a 7030 in Jan 2013 and it seems over time it has gotten "pickier" about what discs it wants to read. Seems now it doesn't like about 10% of the discs I feed it. Usually it will play them after I load them several times but sometimes not at all. The symptoms are it just doesn't "see" them at all or it says they have 96 tracks or some such. Oh and these discs all seem to play fine elsewhere. It has never had any maintenance. I actually have it unhooked at the moment replaced with another player I had that was less uh...selective. Anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions other than sending it in for service which I think would cost more than its value.

10. Sounds like a laser assembly slowly going bad.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

^^^Yep, with the garbage made in China laser drives, you are lucky to get 5 years of use.

12. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Or maybe a dirty lens? 5 years can accumulate a lot of dust in the right conditions.

Rodant Kapoor and patient_ot like this.
  13. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Bought a used one,a couple weeks ago. Very happy. Total system cost all used. Not counting cables $100Clements 207 di
    Onkyo $75
    Qed int. $50.
    While in other room sits $2000 other system, not used cause present one in living room sounds so good.

14. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

These things are $99.99 at Accessories 4 Less now.

cjc and PhantomStranger like this.
  15. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Do the Brand New manufactured Onkyo C-7030 players still use the Wolfson DAC ?

16. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

No.

patient_ot and cjc like this.
  17. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Is the replacement DAC as good or better than the Wolfson?

18. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I'll answer based upon a conclusion based upon assumption, since I've never actually verified that I don't have a Wolfson chip in my machine but been told by Onkyo online customer service that they no longer do. My conclusion is based upon direct listening tests done by my friend John McCortney, a recording engineer, and myself in level-matched comparisons between the player itself and digital out into an Onkyo A-9010 amplifer, which claims on its paperwork to have an onboard Wolfson DAC. In our comparison it was easy to hear the superiority of the player through the Wolfson chip'd amplifier to its own signal using the onboard DAC, of whatever make and model they've switched/downgraded to.

Sorry for twisted and defensive prose, but suffice it to say, I did the best I could without physically opening either the CD Player or the Amplifier up.

19. Thank you for posting your test. Keep in mind that the same D/A IC may perform differently depending of how it's implemented on the playing device, the surrounding asociated circuitry has an effect on the sound of the D/A converter. Also, and that is just my opinion, the fact that the D/A converter is inside the integrated amplifier (just like in an A/V receiver) may also have an impact on the sound, less cables, a more direct signal path...

cjc likes this.
  20. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Yes, understood. It's one reason I'm reluctant to post it as a definitive test, only assorted evidence. Perhaps I will find the courage to open both units in the future. If so I will report it.

21. LostnAmerica

LostnAmerica Active Member

Greetings all, I'm a little late to the party (as usual). the 7030 has had many favorable reviews and has drawn me into it. I was wondering if anyone knows what (or if) there was a cutoff date (year/Month) for the discontinuance of the units with the Wolfson DAC? I saw a few online and unable to get any straight answers on their units. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sounds like a super player on the cheap...
    Cheers!

Cyclone Ranger and Jerryb like this.
  22. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I had an older 7030 that I know had the Wolfson DAC but it broke down and I ordered a new one. The new one has a May 2017 date on the back. I don't know if it has a Wolfson or a different DAC but it sounds the same as my old one did.

patient_ot likes this.
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The only way to know for sure is to open the unit. From reading old threads here and my own dealings with Onkyo USA, I do not think you will get the answer you want. If not having the Wolfson is a dealbreaker, just move on and buy something else. FWIW these DAC chips were discontinued and Wolfson was bought out awhile ago by Cirrus Logic.

24. BradshawSA

BradshawSA New Member

I purchased a Onkyo C-7030 based on reviews on 12/31/2018 from Amazon. While awaiting arrival, I discovered the info on the changed DAC. Purchased unit because of the reputation of the of the WM8718SEDS included. I then ordered a Teac C-650B unit on the 2nd. Both arrived yesterday. The Onkyo C-7030 was made in October 2018 and has the new AK4482VT DAC. Comparing the two, I decided the Teac sounded richer. The Onkyo was shrill and thin. Also I have a CD I sled a box over and scratched it bad. None of my DVD players would track it. I put it in the Onkyo and it also would not play all tracks and skipped. Two other discs also skipped. But in the Teac, the damaged disk tracked with no problems for the entire playing time as with the others. I'm keeping the Teac and sending the Onkyo back, I can't claim false advertising as the current info just states a "High Quality DAC" on most info. Just my observations.

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Glad you got a player you're happy with. Does the TEAC decode pre-emphasis CDs? Just curious. Looks pretty good. Someone on Amazon uploaded internal photos of the TEAC for anyone that wants to take a look.

My Onkyo refurb is still going strong.

c-eling likes this.