Great isolated Bass tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nikh33, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member Thread Starter

"I Can't Get Next to You" by The Temptations
    James Jamerson of course:

Mechanical Man and webbcity like this.
  2. nikh33

And, oh go on then, "With a Little Help from My Friends" The Beatles
    Paul McCartney (again, of course).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    vonwegen, webbcity and timind like this.
  3. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Dave Hoos likes this.
  4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

One of my favourite Jamerson bass lines:

vonwegen, webbcity and nikh33 like this.
  5. timind

timind phorum rezident

Paul's bass playing here is the highlight of this song for me. The bass on Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds ain't bad either.

nikh33 and theMess like this.
  6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

As Paul and George Martin have always said, Paul's bass on the Pepper album is fantastic, probably his most consistently brilliant over a whole album. I assume because he had so much time to overdub the bass on, it allowed him to really come up with some amazing bass parts.

Drifter, MLutthans and OneStepBeyond like this.
  7. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Kind of interesting how he plays the 5th on the last three chords in the song instead of playing the root - never noticed that before!

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  8. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Yes, that sort of thing leaves you hanging in mid-air - to anticipate the next track, instead of putting a 'stop' at the end. You don't generally notice that sort of thing while the whole track is playing, but it gets into the subconscious and I wonder if it was not actually planned. It may have been a case of 'nah, leave it - it adds something..' As it was a time of more and more experimentation, following on from Revolver - it's highly possible. :)

vonwegen, drasil and Drifter like this.
  9. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

10. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

For just Baba O'RIley and Won't Get Fooled Again, correct. What I meant was a set of bass-only studio tracks - he had no equal on stage, we all know that, but I reckon his studio work is still too under-rated. When people are saying that a McCartney track leaves you suspended..........shesh! :bigeek:

Dave Hoos likes this.
  11. OneStepBeyond

I found this some months back... One of the best tracks on the album, anyway IMHO. I'd be nice to find a few more like this. Dreaming From The Waist would be great! :cool:

I'd say that both Entwistle and McCartney are equally as influential on me. Both been my favourites since I began playing. Not sure McCartney was all that impressed by Entwistle (I recall reading he wasn't a big fan of Jack Bruce and similar people who would play' lead' bass..)

One thing that I love about Live At Leeds (talking about the single disc expanded version here) is that you can turn one channel off and lose the majority of the bass and jam along with them 'live' as it were. And the same with the guitar on the other side too! How many hours (years ago, admittedly) did I spend on that; especially Young Man Blues, Amazing Journey and My Generation.. :)

webbcity likes this.
  12. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

If I find it isolated somewhere, I will post it here...but I have to imagine the bass line Bernard Edwards played on Chic's "Everybody Dance" would be incredible, especially on the extended breakdown on the 12" version.

13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Can someone please post the isolated bass track done by John Lennon on "A Long & Winding Road"? That needs analyzing for sure... ;) Arnie

Scott57 and OneStepBeyond like this.
  14. OneStepBeyond

:)

15. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

The bass on Ian Dury's "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" is so upfront in the mix that it's practically an isolated track.

16. nikh33

They mean musically 'left hanging' rather than resolving in the usual manner- ie hanging on for the next track, a comment about composition and musical arrangement not about a "show stopping performance". But in any case, try giving McCartney a listen.

17. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

That brevity and anticipation is what made Paul such a great bass player. There are just so many implied notes. When ever I try to play his lines I play twice as many notes as required, not to mention all the wrong ones.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  18. nikh33

Careful or I'll do it!

19. nikh33

Reminded me of this, particularly at 1.06

20. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

Oh man...this is a great idea for a thread! Will def. check out those Jamerson clips especially...

Here is one from my favorite bass player...this sound just kills me:

ledsox and Doug Sclar like this.
  21. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

And another...

petem1966 likes this.
  22. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

23. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

24. OneStepBeyond

Possibly my all-time favorite comedy sketch! :D

nikh33 likes this.
  25. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

if isolated john paUL JONES BASS AT THE START OF HOW MANY MORE TIMES IN PRETTY HAPPENING.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.