Great late career albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Being 61 years old I've had the pleasure of following some real titans within recorded music. Lot s of them dead now and some in their twilight years still touring and recording. Sometimes late career albums can be a study in goin through the motions or even flagging a dead horse. Occasionally the old legends manage to deliver truly outstanding and moving stuff despite or maybe because of their age. Cohen, McCartney,Cash are imo some examples of that. Would be interesting to lift and discuss late career work that manages to make true musical statements.
    I start with BB Kings One kind favor. Released in 2008 the King was 83 when this album was recorded. Produced by T-Bone Burnett and featuring a crack combo with among others Jim Keltner and dr John I think this is one of BB Kings finest albums. Musically he returns to his 50-s blues/swing roots and he does it in style. His vocals have a depth and power that is mezmerising and the guitar playing is both raw and sublime. This is an album I find myself constantly returning to and I find new things to enjoy with each spin. It also sounds great.
    There are lot s of other examples of late career masterpieces so let's roll and see what can be found.

live evil, AGimS and qwerty like this.
  2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Cohen, whom you mention, is an interesting case. I agree his final works were amazing - but the circumstances of his "comeback" were strange in that if not for criminal activity robbing him of his money, he probably would never have bothered. You've got to wonder what other great tunes he had in him that just evaporated into the ether over the years.

I also wonder to what extent his unfortunate circumstances once again created the need to make music, the desire, which apparently wasn't strong enough when he had sufficient funds.

Jarleboy, Sandinista and Bemagnus like this.
  3. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I’m quite excited to find out who will be making those great late-career albums when I hit 61 (around a quarter-venture to go). Grandaddy, Janelle Monae, Damon Albarn, and Kamasi Washington are my top picks right now.

4. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Dylan's Time Out Of Mind was a nice comeback in 1997 when he was about 54 years old. His previous albums were very average, and many felt his career had come to a sorry end. This album had excellent production from Lanois and songs which stood with Dylan's best. I have no doubt that without this album he would not have enjoyed the career which emerged following this release.

[​IMG]

aussievinyl, denesis, 3Dman and 14 others like this.
  5. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

June Carter Cash's final album Wildwood Flower (from 2003), was recorded when she was about 74 years old. In a documentary on the recording of this album, she said that it was suggested that she record "Wildwood Flower" on her previous album, but she said that the song belonged on her final album. A nice bookend for her career and tribute to her parents.

I recall the first time I heard tracks from the album. What struck me was I was listening to an elderly woman. There are lots of examples of elderly men recording (eg. some of the names mentioned above), but it is relatively less common to hear the voice of elderly women. And June holds her own on this album.

[​IMG]

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

James Taylor- Hourglass. Just a fantastic album from top to bottom.

Fullbug, Subvet and Horse Brunsby like this.
  7. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

Kate Bush - Aeriel
    Rush - Clockwork Angels
    Mike Oldfield - Return to Ommadawn

Not sure about great masterpieces - but very strong albums late on i their careers (IMHO)

DiabloG, 3Dman, TexasBuck and 2 others like this.
  8. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

She was only 52 at the time, but Peggy Lee's Norma Deloris Egstrom from Jamestown, North Dakota is a hundred times better than you'd expect of an album of mostly contemporary seventies pop from a World War II-era singer.

3Dman and BlueSpeedway like this.
  9. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

[​IMG]

This is the heaviest album they ever made. Fantastic. Came out last year.

3Dman likes this.
  10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Love that album that was released 20 years ago. Not sure if it fits in the late-career category though

Walter Sobchak likes this.
  11. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Great thread idea. I will be curious to see what is posted here as I imagine I have given up on some artists too early.

12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The Monkees ‘Good Times!’, 2016. Their first album of new material since 1996, was highly praised by reviewers and fans alike. The album reached number 14 in the Billboard charts and was number one in vinyl, their first official number one album since 1967.

[​IMG]

13. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

Roy Orbison - Mystery Girl

14. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

He's still going (although not recording much), but since this was 27 years after his debut, I think it counts as late. One of my very favorite Elvis albums.

[​IMG]

15. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Loretta Lynn's Van Lear Rose (2004), produced by Jack White. Such an odd combination that worked beautifully to me.

16. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Chris Hillman's recent record Bidin' My Time is superb.

David Crosby's last three records are extremely strong.

17. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

She Shot Me Down, Frank Sinatra's 1981 collection of newly recorded saloon songs, was a largely ignored artistic triumph at age 65.

18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"12 Songs" by Neil Diamond

19. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Good choice. But I’d also like to add ‘Oh Mercy’ to the mix. He was floundering in the 80’s, and many didn’t think he had an album like Mercy left in him.

Not coincidentally, wasn’t Lanois also involved in that one?

DockBoggs likes this.
  20. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Timothy B. Schmit's last two albums, Expando (2009) and Leap of Faith (2016), are pretty awesome. He was 68 when he released Leap of Faith.

DEAN OF ROCK, CrombyMouse and carlwm like this.
  21. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Kate Bush - 50 Words for Snow
    David Bowie - ★

bonzo59, snowman872, gregorya and 4 others like this.
  22. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

What is it about elder statesman country stars that they put out these great late career gems? A lot to contemplate and come to terms with I guess...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3Dman, Aurora, Turbo2k and 2 others like this.
  23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Great choice - though I'd be tempted to remove the word "pretty" from your statement :)

24. MaccaBeatles

MaccaBeatles Forum Resident

XTC - Apple Venus Volume 1 (1999)

This is in my top 3 favourite XTC albums, and it came out 20 years after their first classic, Drums and Wires!

[​IMG]

25. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.