Great New Bands that someone stuck in the 60s to 90s should listen to

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken.e., Oct 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since... Thread Starter

I was hoping to get some advice on new bands that i should listen to and get excited about. I am stuck listening for the most part to bands i grew up on. I likely won't significantly change my taste but can definitely open my mind to new band.
    I'm really stuck on artist that I grew up listening to and with influence from my older brothers. So I start in the 60s and into the late 80s. Unfortunately between many of the artist passing, slowing down musical output (some to nothing) and uneven quality of new music it's hard to get excited about new music. I do get stuck in the reissue and deluxe edition world which has me buying the same thing multiple times.
    I think I am eclectic in my taste. I'll listen to all types of Jazz, folk, rock, progressive rock and some more experimental rock. Favourite bands include The Beatles (including solo), Blue Rodeo, Bowie, Paul Simon, Paul Weller (all phases), Yes, Marillion, Keth Jarrett, Mingus, Monk, Christian Mcbride, Simple Minds, Echo and the Bunnymen, Howard Jones, Elton John, Guess Who, Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Finn (All his bands), Steven Wilson, Genesis, Miles Davis, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Steely Dan, China Crisis.........
    A few newer(ish) bands but not many have caught my ear like Dave Matthews, Coldplay, Mumford and Sons, Pineapple Thief, Wilco and Arcade Fire to name a few. Even some of those bands I feel came out strong but I lost interest with their latest releases.

I would aappreciate the help. Radio doesn't help anymore exposing me to new artist.

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Grizzly Bear, Father John Misty, Shouting Matches, Boy and Bear, Phosperesence, the Reflections, Spoon, Devendra Banhart...

3. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Check out Z by My Morning Jacket.

Umbari, Jimbo912, lesterbangs and 6 others like this.
  4. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Just a quick suggestion: you may like a British band named Field Music. I'll think to something more but, reading your list, that was the first name that came to my mind.

5. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

The Tedeschi Trucks Band

6. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

Of Monsters And Men

Ken.e. likes this.
  7. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

We Believe in Hyperspace (swiss space rock/psychedelic group, fantastic stuff)
    Blues Pills (blues rock from Sweden, very 60s in style and sound)
    Ash My Love (blues/punk/garage duo from Vienna, perfect for cracking open a cold one in the evening :righton:)
    Bastille (enormously successful british group highly reminiscent of 1980s pop music, if you're into that stuff)

pathosdrama and Ken.e. like this.
  8. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Great album. Not really new though!

Ken.e. likes this.
  9. mrsmel

mrsmel Active Member

I’m afraid that I’m going to be stuck in the Sixties and Seventies for a long while yet, because I’m still discovering music I didn’t have a clue about from that era. Especially sub-genres like jazz rock fusion (Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return To Forever-I’m stuck on that song “Vulcan Worlds”, listen to it over and over), Pat Metheny, etc. To think that bands like this could fill arenas in those times. All I knew of “Tubular Bells” were the snippets in that infamous film, I watched a live BBC performance of the whole thing on YT, and was blown away (for which I’m very glad, it forever disassociated it from that awful movie for me). Learning that Peter Frampton was a serious musician and a masterful guitar player, not just a teen idol pretty face. Discovering (or rather, remembering) off-the-wall songs like “Martian Boogie” by Brownsville Station (I get a laugh from that song whenever I hear it). And tons more music from that era that I never knew about at the time.

Man at C&A, DJ LX and Ken.e. like this.
  10. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Oh Sees
    Kurt Vile
    War on Drugs
    Ty Seagall

11. team2

team2 Forum Resident

The band, Tennis. Great 50s & 60s-style melodies with just enough lo-fi grit:

12. 7MusicFan6

7MusicFan6 Forum Resident

First Aid Kit (folk rock), The Joy Formidable (guitar heavy rock), and Wolf Alice (a mix of styles).

jimbo3688 and Ken.e. like this.
  13. team2

team2 Forum Resident

See if you can stream any college radio stations from around the country. They're great in promoting new bands/music, and something might catch your ear...

Irish-Matti, Ken.e. and Zoot Marimba like this.
  14. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

To see what's happening in the EU/UK check out the artist rosters at the major music-fests.
    There are great groups and artists that aren't really well known in the States.
    Pinkpop, Glastonbury, Isle of Wight, and Sziget festivals highlight a lot of music you might like.
    Here's Paolo Nutini, he's been around since 2009.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  15. Mr. Pleasant

Mr. Pleasant Forum Resident

You're in Canada so I assume you are aware of, and have heard, The Sheepdogs. They push all of the right buttons for me in terms of being a new band that satisfies my musical tastes. All of their albums are fantastic including their latest one.

16. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Mini Mansions are my favorite band to emerge in the 21st century.

17. Mr Mojo Risin

Mr Mojo Risin “I’ve been falling so long I thought I was flying”

A little mix:
    Steven Wilson- Prog rock
    Jason Isbell- Americana, Southern Rock
    The Struts- Glam Rock

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Did you see the "newer" bands referenced in the original post that he likes?

Also, someone is really suggesting one of the artists listed in the original posts that he already likes? Is reading the OP really that difficult?

arthurprecarious and warewolf95 like this.
  19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Ty Segall
    Thee Oh Sees
    Of Montreal
    Ariel Pink
    Melody's Echo Chamber
    Super Furry Animals/Gruff Rhys

20. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Mando Diao

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  21. HeyBullfrog

HeyBullfrog Friend of the Forum

I second Field Music, The War on Drugs, and Spoon. Some others that come to mind:

Fleet Foxes
    Destroyer
    The Sea and Cake
    Umphrey's McGee

CybrKhatru likes this.
  22. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Greta van fleet!!!!!

ironbutterfly, JasonA and sbsugar like this.
  23. Road Ratt

Road Ratt Senior Member

Skating Polly

woody, intv7 and vamborules like this.
  24. Road Ratt

Road Ratt Senior Member

The Record Company

Rob P S, jojo getback and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I was scrolling down thinking "Oh, I hope nobody mentioned The Record Company yet."

Sniped!

As always have to mention the best part of searching for music by young artists is that you can see them live and for cheap. The Record Company just played Kansas City and the tickets were $26.

Road Ratt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.