Great New Power Pop Find: Rooney

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jamie Tate, Jun 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

I LOVE power pop music. Jason Falkner, Summercamp, Ban Folds, Merrymakers and the pinnacle... Jellyfish. I'm always on the search for new bands that will excite me into a frenzy. Tonight I found another one. The band is called Rooney and Tower has it on sale for $8.99.

These guys had me by the first chorus of track one. I was jumping up and down, clapping my hands like a school girl. There's enough four minor chords on this CD to put me into a trance. Beautiful! Great melodies.

You melody loving fools need to give this album a listen.

2. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Funny you brought this one up - I just bought it myself for $9.99 at Best Buy. Hopefully, this one will grow on me - I really dug the first track but the rest of the album didn't quite go in the direction I thought it would. I heard the Beach Boys/ELO influence on that first track but the remainder of the album sounded a little more mainstream.

Another power pop fan here, big time. You ever heard of Cotton Mather? The Nines? Ross? The Churchills?

3. Jamie Tate

Uh oh... $$$$cha ching $$$cha ching!!!:laugh:

Haven't heard of them yet. I'm assuming I'll have at least one of these by the end of the day (possibly all three if I find them.) I know my impulsive buying trends.

4. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I can't say for sure how many you'll find but seeing's how you're in Nashville, you can probably find Cotton Mather, the others I don't know. Cotton Mather's "Kontiki" album came out in '97. On their better tracks, they've got a definite "Revolver" influence going on. Ross is only available, as far as I know, via the band's label in Spain which is unfortunate, you'd love'em.

5. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Greenberry Woods two albums from the 90's, if you can find them, are outstanding power pop. Also, while not exactly power pop, Willie Nile is also terrific, great catchy songs, hooks galore, great lyrics, great singing. One of the great unjustly neglected artists of the 80's up through today (he's working on a new album).

Jeff

6. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

For power pop, I also recommend Self and Sparkle Jets UK. I'll have to check out Rooney. Hey, Jamie, did you ever pick up the 2 CD Jap. import by Jason Falkner? I've seen it a few times, but never at an affordable price.

7. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

All power-pop fans must check out Bill Lloyd's Set to Pop CD, if you don't know it. One of my favorite albums of the last 10 years ... great songs, hooks, 12-string guitar riffs ... and a super-cool cameo from Marshall Crenshaw on track 1 ("I Went Electric"). Plus, as a bonus, one of the best-ever songs written about Elvis ("Channeling the King").

Thanks for the heads-up on Rooney and the other acts mentioned.

8. Jamie Tate

I liked Bill Lloyd's Standing on the Shoulders of Giants CD too. The engineer I learned from produced it. Great Zombies type tunes.

9. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

Check out a band called The Vells. They have an EP out right now on CD. The first track, "Light on the Right" is pure pop with tons of hooks. I can't remember much about the rest of the CD, but that first track kicks ass!

10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I TOTALLY agree with forum member RickH above on this "Rooney" album!

Track one is the real deal and then it slowly unwinds from there to becoming standard "everyday new music"! If they would have stuck with that sound of track one, we may ALL have been talking about these guys for a LONG time! Maybe next album!

Note: To you Jellyfish fans, do NOT miss The Tories CD called "Wonderful Life"! This is so dead-on Jellyfish that it's scary!

Chris C

11. Jamie Tate

Yup, they're kind of a tribute band... but without the Henry Mancini/ Pet Sounds type production. The songs are great and the singer does a great impression of Andy. Their second album isn't as good but is still very listenable.

12. Dr. O'Boogie

Dr. O'Boogie Forum Resident

FUZZBUBBLE!!

Powerpop.........Fuzzbubble!!!

Too often POWERpop lacks the power. Fuzzbubble puts it right back in......:love:

13. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I'll have to check these guys out. Thanks for the tip!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.