Great obscure/forgotten album - Norman Greenbaum "Spirit in the sky"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrockguy, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Everybody's heard the title song before but has anyone heard the album? It is just great, very upbeat and catchy. Perfect album to put on after you've had a hard day. Kind of similar to Eric Clapton's first album, with lots of hand-clapping songs and call and response vocals. The followup single "Canned Ham" is very similar. He should have had more success than that 1 song.

Greenalishi and Crimson Witch like this.
  2. classicrockguy

3. classicrockguy

4. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

This is one of the one hit wonder albums that is actually good. Some inventive arrangements. Love the closer Marcy.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  5. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

A fine album indeed from a guy
    who simply left the music biz
    altogether.

6. classicrockguy

It's a great album which is unfortunately totally forgotten today, other than the title song of course. I became interested after reading an excellent record review in an old 1970 Rolling Stone magazine, and they sure were right about this one. It's a blast to listen to, and Greenbaum is quite a charismatic character. Amazing that both the title song and "Canned Ham" both came from a Jewish farmer. He simply went back to farming after his singing career dried up.

Khaki F likes this.
  7. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Good thing his crops didn't...

Seriously, it is a good album. Marcy is my favorite track. Catchy upbeat pop, no more and no less. I like that about it.

8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I was reading through a Rolling Stone 70's era hardcover book, some nice comments about this album and Norman's music.

QUOTE="classicrockguy, post: 18430586, member: 83842"]It's a great album which is unfortunately totally forgotten today, other than the title song of course. I became interested after reading an excellent record review in an old 1970 Rolling Stone magazine, and they sure were right about this one. It's a blast to listen to, and Greenbaum is quite a charismatic character. Amazing that both the title song and "Canned Ham" both came from a Jewish farmer. He simply went back to farming after his singing career dried up.[/QUOTE]

9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This song is featured in "I, Tonya" :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.