Great Pictures of the Byrds from the Cellar in Arlington Heights, IL

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jojopuppyfish, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Hjort's book is a must-have for any serious Byrds fan.

2. COBRA

COBRA New Member

Just ran into Jim Sohns at the post office. Said he's been busy still playing . Gave him my condolences about Joe.

action pact likes this.
  3. jazznoiraol.com

jazznoiraol.com New Member

Does anyone have the exact date Cream played The Cellar? I grew up in Roselle and went to that concert. Knew that Clapton was considered a really good guitarist and had heard him on a John Mayall LP, but had no idea he'd turn out to be a superstar.. Was actually more interested in seeing the infamous Ginger Baker bc of his rep as such a lunatic and a-hole. duh!

4. COBRA

COBRA New Member

Cream played the Cellar April 26 1968.

5. Md urban

Md urban New Member

The Cellar was located at 475 N Salem in Arlington Hts. Great historic website is www.45worlds.com ...lists band concert dates

trumpet sounds likes this.
  6. Here is a photo from the Cream concert at the Cellar. I used an Instamatic camera, so the image is not that good. Note that Eric is playing a Gibson Firebird.

[​IMG]

7. According to the Chicago Tribune, The Cellar was located in the basement of St. Peter's Lutheran Church at 116 W. Eastman St., and later in a warehouse at Salem and Davis Streets.

Shawn likes this.
  8. The building that once was The Cellar is the end building on Davis Street just east of Salem. It is now an auto repair shop.

9. Following is a picture of the building that was once THE CELLAR.
    [​IMG]

10. ThomS

ThomS New Member

My Dad owned the Cellar. Do you have any more pictures? I showed him the Cream picture and it brought back many memories of how he was able to get Cream to play at the Cellar. A very interesting story!

action pact, Shawn and zobalob like this.
  11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Wow, how cool! Can you post some of those memories?

12. Following is a picture that I took last week of the building that used to be The Cellar. It is currently an auto body repair shop and has not changed in appearance in 45 years.

They charged a premium ticket price of $15.00 for admission when Cream played. I remember standing in line at the door on the right under the little canopy.

The Cellar was a teen dance club, so there were no seats. It is a small building, maybey 50 feet wide and 100 feet deep. Everyone stood to watch the performances. Alcohol was forbidden, but soda, juice, popcorn and candy were served. The stage was small, maybe 10 feet deep and only three feet higher than the dance floor. When Cream played I stood at the edge of the stage and about 5 feet from Clapton. The Cellar had great live music from local bands and star quality bands (Cream, Yardbirds, The Who) and was a "very happening place" in the '60's. I do not think that anything like The Cellar exists anywhere today.

[​IMG]

13. ThomS

ThomS New Member

My Dad (Paul Sampson) says that the overhead door had a raised ramp leading to it back in the 60's. He also said the front windows just to the left of the door was his office.

Paul Grasemann likes this.
  14. ThomS

ThomS New Member

How do you post pictures?

15. First you have to upload your pictures to a photo sharing web site such as photobucket. Then copy the URL of the photo from photobucket. In order to post a photo on this web site you need to pick the rectangular icon (image) in the menu bar that is directly to the right of the smiley face and past the URL into the popup menu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.