Great Prog bands who weren't one of "the Big Five"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tristero, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John54

John54 Senior Member

I listened to that the other night and it's pretty good. Best song IMHO, and probably the best song I've heard in this decade (I don't listen much to new music) is Waves:

DaverJ likes this.
  2. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Isn't Jon Anderson even weirder? LOL

3. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Not to my ears, no.

4. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I personally don't consider Pink Floyd prog at all, and I think only a few of Jethro Tull's albums as prog.

For me, top of the list would be Gentle Giant, followed by Caravan, Nektar, PFM, Eloy, and Camel.

5. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Utopia
    Renaissance
    Wishbone Ash
    UFO
    Alan Parsons Proj
    Strawbs
    Incredible String Band
    Kansas (I love Closet Chronicles!)
    Styx

6. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Pink Floyd is more properly considered psychedelic rock. Jethro Tull was a tad more prog. But mostly eclectic rock.

Yes, Focus, early Genesis and Gentle Giant. Prog de jure.

7. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I prefer a very broad characterization of progressive rock (I can explain my demarcation criteria in some detail, including music-theoretical detail (and I may have already done so on this site, I'm not sure if I did))--where my definition counts everyone listed on progarchives and then some, though minus fusion artists (I see fusion as the flipside of a coin that has progressive rock on one side--basically, fusion is to jazz as progressive rock is to rock). This means that I consider all krautrock, post-rock, etc. to be progressive.

My progressive rock characterization is broad enough that I consider Grateful Dead progressive rock, and I see psychedelic rock as early prog (I don't make a distinction between progressive and prog; I think the idea of that is silly). I'm not a "Beatles started everything" guy, but I think that the Beatles were an extremely important influence on progressive rock, and some of their later work is more or less progressive. I also think that a defining characteristic of heavy metal is that it has prog characteristics (even if it isn't quite prog, although of course there is the subgenre of prog metal--it's more clearly prog than just the normal prog characteristics that all metal has), and I think that artists like Led Zeppelin have very heavy prog characteristics.

I also agree to an extent with Say It Right's comment that the thread was getting seriously off track of the original intent. That's not necessarily a bad thing, although at some point, after we name enough bands that are obscure enough, we might as well tell people to just head over to progarchives, bring up the master list of all artists, and just pick some out randomly to check them out.

Anyway, so on a broad definition, some candidates for the the last of "The Big Five" include (just in alphabetical order, with some more controversial than others) Electric Light Orchestra, Frank Zappa/Mothers, Grateful Dead, Jethro Tull, Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Queen, Radiohead and Todd Rundgren/Utopia.

Less controversially, Gentle Giant or Van der Graaf Generator are probably the best candidates. Gong, Henry Cow and Magma are among my favorites of bands who were mentioned quite a few times, but they weren't as popular as Gentle Giant or Van der Graaf Generator, if we're really looking for the last of "The Big Five".

Going with artists that were slightly less popular, I'm very surprised--especially given how many different artists we were naming, popular, cult-favorites and obscure, from all areas of prog, that no one yet has mentioned Art Zoyd, Popol Vuh or Univers Zero, three more favorites of mine.

Frangelico, Tristero and jay.dee like this.
  8. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Oops, forgot to list Rush as a candidate for the "big five," although really, I see Rush as at least as controversial to count as prog as, say, Alice Cooper. Rush has far more albums now that I wouldn't really consider prog as albums that I would. I'd say that only Caress of Steel, 2112, A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres (as well as the live All the World's a Stage) are clearly prog rather than just prog-influenced. Fly by Night, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are not more prog than Zep's Physical Graffiti, Cooper's Welcome to My Nightmare, Bowie's Diamond Dogs, etc. in my opinion.

9. denesis

denesis Forum Resident

Their 1992 debut "Hybris" is just begging to be reissued as a 45rpm 2LP set. With four tracks all around 10 minutes each, that would be a thing of beauty.

calgary669 likes this.
  10. Very easy indeed.

DaverJ likes this.
  11. OxygenThief

OxygenThief Forum Resident

Aphrodite's Child.

Also Van der Graaf Generator and a few borderline inclusions like Man, the Hampton Grease Band and the Plastic People of the Universe, all of whom I like more than any of the so-called Big Five.

12. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I slightly disagree, because Family are even more disregarded band of those great English Progressive rock acts. On the Internet prog forums I have meet some big-shots who even claim that "Family weren't Prog" (lol, Family were one of the founders of "underground" & "progressive rock" scene in the Swinging London).

13. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

The Move

Svetonio and linclink like this.
  14. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Van Der Graff Generator, for sure.

uzn007, Instant Dharma, mx20 and 2 others like this.
  15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense Thread Starter

The great Family was difficult to pin down. They combined elements of psychedelia, prog, hard rock, folk and even a little funk by the end--progressive in the best sense. Of course, a lot of these bands were operating on a similar kind of eclectic wavelength during these years. They were certainly seminal to the whole British scene.

jay.dee and Svetonio like this.
  16. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Illusion - Face of Yesterday

carlwm likes this.
  17. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Terminology - and bands - change over time. The term 'progressive' used interchangeably with 'underground' in the period 67-69 isn't the same as 'progressive' (or Prog) used in around 72-74.

Family were one of the underground bands in the late 60s and Music In A Dolls House is one of the great albums from that time but no-one would have described them as progressive/Prog by 72-73. They were just a rock band.

Also worth mentioning is that they had a few songs in the singles chart - hardly the stuff of an 'underground' band...here they are on Top Of The Pops in 1971.

Family - In My Own Time (Top Of The Pops 1971)

18. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

"(...) In 1968, the band moved to London to record Music In A Doll's House the album, produced by Jimmy Miller and Dave Mason. Except for one song by Mason, the album was fullfilled with compositions by the band members and it was a surprisingly successful start - what established themselfs as one of half a dozen of leading bands of British progressive rock scene in the beginning. (...) If their first, revolutionary album was released a few years later, when the audience could have been more willing to accept it, perhaps the whole story [about the band] could have been written differently. (...)"

from The Illustrated New Musical Express Encyclopedia of Rock by Nick Logan & Bob Woffinden (Salamander Books, London, 1976)

jay.dee likes this.
  19. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

Camel - they sound like a band that would have been more popular
    Magical Mystery Tour - last time I listened it sounded “proggy” lol
    Can - not sure if they are classified as prog
    Eno - maybe not straight prog but incredible stuff and I think better than any of the “five”
    My first album was Aqualung - Tull was my favorite band before the Stones became my favorite band

MortSahlFan likes this.
  20. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Yes - in the beginning which is what I said.

You can try and find me a source from the early-mid 70s talking of Family as a progressive rock band at that time if you want but I doubt there is one.

21. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

One progressive band I brought the DVD/CD a few years back are Quatermass, good ELP sounding band.

FVDnz likes this.
  22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Rush, unless you count Zappa - in which case he is #1

23. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Gentle Giant
    Kansas
    Rush
    Camel
    Supertramp
    Uriah Heep
    Procol Harum
    The Moody Blues

24. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

early Nektar and Eloy were both heavily influenced by Pink Floyd

25. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I personally don’t hear that. Eloy and Nektar were influenced by space rock, so I suppose there’s some similarity, but I don’t hear a direct influence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.