Great story on UFO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich! Thread Starter

2. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

I believe in UFO's

chrischerm likes this.
  3. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

thanks. it was great

4. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

thanks for this - a great read.
    I've been a big UFO fan since '77 and hadn't read all of these stories in one place. I don't consider their fate tragic. They put out some great LP's, and those will always stand as a testament.

Murph likes this.
  5. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Regarding the article, I agree: "Love to Love" ˃ "Stairway to Heaven"

Jimmy Agates, jeffgt14 and Carserguev like this.
  6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Wow, good article! A little too editorial in parts, but it filled in some gaps in the story.

7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

"a hedonistic, polka-dot-pants-wearing bass player who made Keith Richards look like Debby Boone"

That sentence alone makes it worth reading the article!

pscreed, Meyer and Murph like this.
  8. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Nice article, thanks for sharing.

I was pretty late to the UFO party; only acquired Strangers a little over ten years ago and many years later picked up the Schenker era albums. Strangers, along with Phenomenon, Force It and No Heavy Petting are essential albums for any hard rock fan. Quite an underrated band not only for their output but also for their influence on NWOBHM and beyond.

Jimmy Agates, Murph and Opeth like this.
  9. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

great read thanks

10. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Very good read! UFO are underrated, as is Michael Schenker. However, let's be real. They are NOWHERE in the same league as Zeppelin, nor Rush or even Rainbow for that matter. A good hard rock band, nothing more, nothing less.

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Oh, they were just as good as Rainbow. Easily so. Better in fact.

Dig up the UFO album by album thread here. It's got some good info it (I did some of the reviews ;)).

Here's a good companion piece: http://www.daveling.co.uk/doc-ufo.htm

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  12. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

I can't believe the writer dissed "Space Child and Crystal Light" from Phenomenon. Beautiful songs with amazing melodic guitar craftsmanship.

13. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Thank you - a good read. Strangers in the Night will get some play over the weekend.

chrischerm and Murph like this.
  14. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Agreed. Crystal Light is a superb tune. Space Child is good too.

15. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Spinning this as I ran across this thread, always enjoyed the band, especially the MS years, just good solid albums. IMO.
    [​IMG]

16. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Thanks OP for posting, great read. Saw them back in the day, they were incredible.

... So I put on LOIL at the top of the thread. Right now "Alone Again Or" is playing and my wife is singing along in the kitchen. I guarantee she doesn't know the original...

Life is good.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    Carserguev and Murph like this.
  17. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

My favorite UFO album

Kossoff is God likes this.
  18. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich! Thread Starter

Same here!

19. ClassicRockTragic

ClassicRockTragic Forum Resident

Great read. I have been obsessed with UFO the last 6 months or so.

I play their records at the shop I work, and often get dudes stop and listen and say who the **** is that. I write it down for them and they shuffle off with new hard rock hope in their eyes.

And I agree... Love to Love > Stairway to Heaven

20. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

what a pair of immature twats mogg and way sound. going on about who won the war.
    mind you the same thing happened when schenker auditioned for aerosmith apparently.

Fullbug and Zeki like this.
  21. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Thanks! I actually saw them at the Rock On The Fox event, first and only time ever. Not a huge setup, lo how the mighty have fallen, but after all my wondering if they would play "Lights Out" (my huge have but generally snubbed by "Doctor Doctor") they LED OFF with it! Yay!

Murph likes this.
  22. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

"Since then, he has teamed up with an increasingly lame parade of poodle-headed characters."

"Whereas Michael is this super-genius guitarist, but he disappears for years at a time, makes records that are iffy at best, and plays with some really random bands."

These parts about Schenker are so true. After his first few albums things went way downhill and stayed there, and a lot of it is because he doesn't seem to care who he plays with.

Murph likes this.
  23. old school

old school Senior Member

UFO put out some of the best albums of the 70s! ' Lights Out ' stunning masterpiece.

Jimmy Agates, jon9091 and Murph like this.
  24. My first exposure to UFO came whilst watching a kid's TV programme back in 1975. Anybody remember Magpie with Jenny Hanley and Mick Robertson? They used to have a little feature each week showing some new album covers and Mick showed Force It (yep, on kid's TV). When I started buying albums for real in late 1976 I chanced upon No Heavy Petting and thought the cover was a bit strange and behind it was Force It which I remembered from the TV the previous year. A little while later, certainly before school finished for Xmas hols in Dec '76, I'd heard Highway Lady, I'm A Loser and Natural Thing on the radio so I went back to our little Virgin store with enough cash to buy a couple of albums, supposedly for my birthday presents. I'd intended to buy Deep Purple's Burn and Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow but neither were in stock so took what was a giant step for me, purchasing 2 albums unheard all bar those three tracks. I wasn't disappointed!

So, yeah I ended up a huge UFO fan - I have everything from that point on as first pressings, day of release copies etc. I love the Mick Bolton stuff, the live album in particular. Tonka, Atomic Tommy, Laurence Archer, Vinnie Moore and a host of others never really let the band down and all offered something but it is that period from when I first 'discovered' them up to WWI/Mechanix that is/will forever be special to me.

Regarding the Schenker solo career, loved the Barden era stuff, hated the Bonnet stuff and haven't been able to enjoy much/anything since. Why he (and it applies to Uli Roth as well) has to have such dreadful vocalists on his albums/tours is beyond me, the talent shines through in his (their) playing but the vocals destroy it all.

For me, Phil Mogg is perhaps the finest UK singer/lyricist this side of Paul Rodgers.

Martin Popoff's book is an interesting read and explains a lot as to why UFO didn't quite attain the staus they deserved.

25. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Lovely little piece.

For those in the new world who are familiar with the game of snooker, the tales of (M.) Schenker's mercurial greatness remind me of an Irish player called Alex 'Hurricane' Higgins who in the 70s and 80s could easily have been the UFO of 'the green beize.'

He won the World Championship twice but in the game's heyday in the UK (the 80s) he was perennially lagging behind the oh-so ironically nicknamed Steve 'interesting' Davies who was a pretty much a machine at the table.

Davies was by far the better player: consistency, results and technique versus Higgins's perpetual litany of self-destructive antics causing near invariable failure at the final hurdle, as it were but nobody cared: the Irishman was the game's most exciting exponent and the emotionally crazed, unpredictable maelstrom made the magic.

Of course, I appreciate the genius of Zep and constantly find myself purring o'er their magnificence but here's the thing: I play UFO all the time and like the man say, 'Love To Love' rarely fails to persuade me of their pedigree: if this was 'mere' bandola Hard Rock, then all I can summise is that there's some very selective analysis going down because by any standard, their best outpourings (which are several per album until 1982) rival, well, anything.

Not in the same league as..? Pass me the crack pipe.

Arthur Mulllard, cjmiller and Murph like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.