Greatest British rock band(s) that didn't meet success across the Atlantic

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stax o' wax, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I ignored nothing, you're just not right!

2. limoges

limoges Forum Resident

Dodgy had seven consecutive singles in the UK top 30, and "Good Enough" reached #4.

rediffusion and Hammerpeg like this.
  3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The Sweet had five top 40 hits, which makes them the most successful British glam rock act. Though a couple of those hits were more than a year after they'd had their run on the UK charts.
    Nazareth is pretty much known for two songs in America, their hit cover of Love Hurts and the FM stalwart, Hair of the Dog.
    Status Quo, definitely a one hit wonder. Once they traded in their kaftans for blue jeans, they were forgotten.

4. scousette

scousette Forum Resident

The Kinks had huge hits in the 60s here. All Day and All of the Night, You Really Got Me, Tired of Waiting for You, Sunny Afternoon, A Well Respected Man are among those hits.

Terrapin Station and Rufus rag like this.
  5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Have Travis, Cornershop and Kula Shaker been mentioned yet?

6. scousette

scousette Forum Resident

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yes, totally. But those hits were before the negative effect of the performance band took effect. Many of the Kinks' best songs missed the US top 40 because they were unable to promote them.

8. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

What is it you don't get about the British isles? Did you read the link? Is it wrong?

9. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

The great Family, a unique band that bridged the gap from Brit psychedelia to early Progressive sounds.
    It would have been unlikely that they broke the U.S. market. Their music was very British and their idysioncratic awesome lyrics hardly commercial stuff. They survived several line-up changes by keeping the core Chapman and Whitney presence. In the process they attracted top-notch musicians who added significant touches to their sound. So they managed to add one great album after another, an unparalled stretch during 1968-1973.
    All worth investigating further, including their BBC recordings.

10. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

But the OP didn't ask "who had less success in America than in the UK" or "who was a one hit wonder in America"

The question was "Who didn't (have) success across the Atlantic"

As far as your claim that "Mainstream/Modern Rock charts don't mean much of anything." :biglaugh:

By that logic Nirvana was a "one hit wonder" with only one top 10 hit on the pop charts. So - no lasting impact. right? No one remembers them at all, right? Their seven top 10 hits on the Mainstream/Modern Rock charts say absolutely nothing about their wider success beyond those who only listen to Top 40 radio, right?

There's a massive number of bands who have nearly every one of their albums reach #1 on the album chart, while never hitting the top 40 or often not even the Hot 100 with as much as a single entry. How do they manage #1 albums with no hit singles on the "pop" charts?

Check out their stats on the Mainstream/Modern Rock charts, and then come back and tell me again that the "Mainstream/Modern Rock charts don't mean much of anything"

Biscuit Warehouse likes this.
  11. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Sure the British Isles is made up of a whole bunch of islands, however you're not 'British', just because you happen to come from one of those islands. Capeesh?

12. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

The great Family, a unique band that bridged the gap from Brit psychedelia to early Progressive sounds.
    It would have been unlikely that they broke the U.S. market. Their music was very British and their idysioncratic awesome lyrics hardly commercial stuff. They survived several line-up changes by keeping the core Chapman and Whitney presence. In the process they attracted top-notch musicians who added significant touches to their sound. So they managed to add one great album after another, an unparalle stretch 1968-1973.

13. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

14. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Nazareth were HUGE in Canada in the 70's with many Top 40 hits and remain popular (although not to the same extent) to this day.

Dudley Morris and GodShifter like this.
  15. Say what now? Was this a Bizarro World Kinks or something?

16. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

:wtf:

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Statistically, opinions aside, the right answer is probably either Slade or the Jam.

gary191265 likes this.
  18. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

I like The Stranglers.

19. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

But the right answer is naturally Art Bears.

20. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Yep - their Greatest Hits album went platinum in Canada, and pretty much everyone I knew (or their parents) had a copy. Also 'Love Hurts" was a number one single here.

GodShifter likes this.
  21. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

The Stone Roses never went to the states for their first album. And when they eventually did in 95' for Second Coming, Reni had left the band

22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

A UK poster asked about the Kinks' US success. They were big in '64 and '65 and then crashed in America due to the performance ban. I'm sure this wasn't the case in Canada. After the ban was lifted, they returned to having top 40 hits.

23. Oh I know this stuff, but had no idea "Should I Stay or Should I Go" was a Kinks song...

24. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Cabaret Voltaire

25. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Issue is that you got the song's name wrong!

seed_drill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.