Greatest Classic Rock Studio Double-LP?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roland Stone, Aug 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

BLONDE ON BLONDE has no filler.:p ;) :D

Jim W.

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I voted Physical Graffiti, no filler there either.

3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member Thread Starter

Some explanations as to what did and didn't make the final poll list:

SOMETHING/ANYTHING and PRESERVATION ACT PART II were oversights. I'm surprised I forgot the Todd Rundgren title, since I own the MFSL gold disc version. I forgot PRESERVATION was a double-LP; to be honest, I'm not sure I would have included it at the expense of one of the other entries.

After consideration, I didn't include Joni Mitchell's DON JUANS RECKLESS DAUGHTER, John Lee Hooker's HOOKER N HEAT, or Merle Haggard's SAME TRAIN A DIFFERENT TIME, either, although I quite enjoy them, certainly more than many of the albums I did include. Polls are limited to 25 slots to posting members, although gorts can add more, and I wanted to cover forum favorites, even if they aren't critic's darlings.

ONE FROM THE ROAD, WAITING FOR COLUMBUS, LIVE RUST, FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE, etc., are live albums more or less featuring the artists' songbook, and were not eligible. I don't know if the forum software could support a poll that included the major live double-LP sets!

SEX MACHINE and EAT A PEACH were special cases, with live material mixed in with studio performances. Because the emphasis was on new material, I allowed these -- yes, it's a judgement call. WHEELS OF FIRE, which I otherwise would have also allowed under the same consideration, was nixed because it would have split the Eric Clapton votes.

Minimizing vote-splitting was also the reason Prince and Frank Zappa have only one of their double-disc sets included.

Also, for reasons stated earlier, I meant double-LPs of the Classic Rock era, not just double-LPs by Classic Rock acts.

4. ratskrad

ratskrad Forum Resident

I choose the White Album because my favorite which happens to be Live Dead - Grateful Dead was not on the list. As noted in the post before me I also Like All Things Must Pass and put that one way up on my list.

5. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I'm delighted and somewhat amazed at the recognition for Preservation Act 2; however you were probably wise not to include it at the expense of other entries.

The double albums in the list are certainly notable. I think that when an artist had, in most cases, the vision and determination to put out a double album, the sense of purpose usually created an enduring work that ranked among the artist's best. I am specifically thinking of Blonde on Blonde, London Calling, Tommy, Quadrophenia, The River, Electric Ladyland, Freak Out,Sign O' The Times, and The Wall, just to mention the albums I'm somewhat familiar with.

And I love The Beatles just like I love Their Satanic Majesties Request but I don't think either of them are very good.

6. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

WHITE ALBUM all the way!

7. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Geesh, this is too difficult to choose. I have it narrowed down to three: The Beatles, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and Tommy.

These are the three I can play with the least amount of skipping.

I have decided to go with The Beatles because of the sheer number of must-hear songs each time I put it on. EJ is a close second.

8. eastside billee

eastside billee New Member

best double lp

He said, STUDIO, lp. However, I too liked 4 Way Street as a live Lp.

9. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

An interesting observation I'd like to point out is to consider the followup recording- the album that came out AFTER the band's double album, it seems that in the case of The Beatles, Stones, & F Mac- inspiration was a little lacking after they put out their double albums- I love the White Album, Exile, and Tusk, but The Fab Four did have a lull afterward- the Get Back Sessions where they all seemed to be feeling a bit listless (though they did rebound fantastically with Abbey Road) ditto - The Stones with Goats Head Soup- a nice album to listen to here & there, but compared to Exile, it feels like a major step down, though perhaps with the whole '72 Tour and the Stones at their Peak with all that energy, its inevitable that GHS had a bit of a tired feel to it. Ditto Mac- I think Tusk is a great double lp but I never bothered to listen to whatever their followup was. So perhaps there is a risk invloved in that putting so many great songs onto a double album leaves the well a little dry for the next record, unless the band can wait a few years before releasing the next one. Come to think of it, '67 seemed to be a bit of quiet year for Dylan after 66's Blonde on Blonde. John Wesley Harding, the next followup does sound a bit subdued in comparison.

10. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Whoops!

I guess I flunked the Evelyn Wood speed reading class- never even saw studio only!!!!

Mea Culpa
    Chris

11. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

A few more favorite double LPs not shown:

Chicago - "Chicago II"
    Bee Gees - "Odessa"
    Nektar - "Sounds Like This"
    Soft Machine - "Third"

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

12. eastside billee

eastside billee New Member

double lps

Excuse me - I am getting old, and my memory isn't what it used to be....
    but wasn't Abbey Road released prior to Get Back/Let it Be?

I thought Abbey Road was indeed a great album. Of course I'm a Beatles junkie and anything they did at the time, I thought was a treasure - AND STILL DO!

13. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I had to do GBYBR. The only thing I skip now is "Candle in the Wind", and only becuase I am totally SICK of it (in all variations). When the LP was new, however, I loved it.......

Beatles White, The Wall, and so many others are so close.....

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

MY favorite two album set, the Allman Brothers' Live At Fillmore East, isn't represented in the poll! And it should be. However, I did vote for the White Album.

Evan

15. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Re: double lps

I'll do it guys ----

"Abbey Road" was recorded last, but released prior to LIB.

16. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Re: Re: double lps

Thanks Jon...I wasn't sure what to do with it?!?!?

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I voted for Songs in the Key of Life, but I could have picked another half dozen listed titles just as easily. BTW, w.r.t. "Sex Machine", as previously mentioned, half of it really is live performances. Also, most of the songs that were new to the LP format had already been released in their studio versions as singles.

Regards,

18. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

I'd agree with that, heck take off #9 and it would still be a double album and would strengthen it even more.

The White Album was always my favorite album, period before I discovered Exile and Blonde.

Exile was a revelation for me, each side was different from the last but just as strong.

Curses to those who created this evil list!

Maybe we should do by decades.

I'd go with a tie for the 60s (Blonde/White)
    70s (Exile)
    80s (London Calling)
    90s (Sign of the Times)

etc.

DS

19. RDK

RDK Active Member

For me, there's a slight difference between "greatest" (which the poll asks) and favorite. For greatest I'd have to say Dylan's BOB. That album, to me, epitomizes greatness and has so much to offer and so many levels to explore. That may be the one album I'd have to take to that desert island with me.

On the other hand, I often find Tommy a more enjoyable listen. I love every song on that album and it's so much fun to listen to. It might qualify as my favorite even if I don't think it's the best double out there (it may not even be the best Who double out there). Unnerstand?

20. RDK

RDK Active Member

Looking again at the votes, I'm really pleased to see the diversity. I really though that the White Album would dominate even more that it already does.

Oh man, I could've voted for The River as well. Or even the Van Morrison. I have to admit to having a 60's bias in my voting, which lead me to vote for BOB or Tommy.

21. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Exile!
    When I first purchased this in 72 at age 12 I thought it was crap.
    I actually returned it for something else, heck $8 is a lot at this age. Bought the cassette a year or so later and have played it to death ever since.

Joe Lee

22. What a stupid poll.
    How one may put Bad girls and The Wall in one list:mad: ?
    Seems too much time on someone's hands.

23. RDK

RDK Active Member

well, so much for the diversity I applauded earlier... :sigh: :rolleyes:

24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'm going with London Calling. As much as I love The Beatles and Exile on Main Street , neither one is my favorite of either group. London Calling is a great collection with many different influences, and even with it's refined touches, it still contained the thrust and energy of the 2 earlier hours, but with an "album feel" as opposed to a collection of songs.

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The Wall is actually not that bad. :angel:

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.