Greatest concerts with no recording

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hooterdear, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

ive been collecting and trading and recording concerts since the mid 80's and i am dumbfounded as to what has been recorded and not circulated, either via trading or artists' release. i help a few friends (some taping since the mid 70's) backup their collections and the gems that appear here are a hoot to work on.

i did the tape transfers on these 2:
    http://www.discogs.com/Fẹla-Live-In-Detroit-1986/master/443841
    http://www.discogs.com/Shriekback-Tench-Live-In-Detroit-83/release/7357788
    - just the bonus disc for the shriekback

^ the fellow who recorded those 2 rarely, if ever lets any of his tapes be circulated. others want me to torrent the stuff asap. although not possible, im beginning to think that *everything* has been recorded.

2. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I'd still really like a recording of the Patti Smith Band 10/09/12 show at Golden State Theatre in Monterey for John Lennon.

3. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

McCartney, Harrison, Starr and Clapton playing at Clapton's wedding. It might have been an impromptu jam session, but it would be great to hear at least from a historical context.

4. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Amazingly, cos it happened as late as 2004, there is no video footage of Bowie getting in in the eye with a lollipop. Just audio and photos.

5. pofonso

pofonso Forum Resident

Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play tours.

warewolf95 and joelee like this.
  6. sadchel

sadchel Forum Resident

The Beatles at Carnegie Hall

mr._mojo_filter likes this.
  7. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

+1 . I don't care how bad it sounded, it's the Threetles playing 'Sgt Peppers' onstage!

warewolf95 and mr._mojo_filter like this.
  8. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

That doesn't surprise me. People capturing everything on video with cell phones was not common at concerts 11 years ago. Heck, there's no audio of the Bowie show I saw in New Orleans on that tour. Of course, if anyone knows otherwise...

9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Thought of another Genesis one - also Bowie and Hawkwind

Atomic Sunrise Festival

Apparently it got found but from what I can tell the people who have it never released the entire thing - just teases.

10. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Accounts suggest that David Bowie's 1971 appearance at Glastonbury was something rather special. It's rumoured that this set was actually recorded but nothing has ever surfaced to support this though...

11. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

my bay area taping friend said he didnt record it. sorry.

12. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

I'd love to hear any Stooges recordings from prior to 1970. They played some astonishing shows, apparently, but the earliest audio appears to be from summer 1970.

Also, how about the legendary 1972 Kings Cross show that Iggy and the Stooges played - a set comprising of tracks recorded before Raw Power, blasted out at a literally stunned audience. This was the only gig that the Stooges ever played outside of North America in the period 1968 - 1974.

Cousin It and dino77 like this.
  13. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Also, there are no known recordings of Jimmy James and the Blue Flames from Greenwich Village, summer 1966. That's a shame.

jhm likes this.
  14. JohnGris

JohnGris Forum Resident

Sam Cooke and the rest of The Soul Stirrers reuniting for a concert in 1963 or 64.

Hooterdear and Cousin It like this.
  15. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

Wes Montgomery sitting in with the John Coltrane Quartet in 1961. I'd love to hear it, but as far as I know, no recordings have ever been found.

16. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Big Star with Chris Bell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.