Greatest film documentary about cinema?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by White_Noise, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident Thread Starter

For general documentaries it's a four way tie, not exactly original but:

Errol Morris - Fog of War
    Frederick Wiseman - Near Death
    Ken Burns - The Civil War (yeah I know)
    BBC's World at War

But aside from blood gore and death, I'm especially interested in documentaries about cinema. So far, the most captivating and educational of all I've seen is Martin Scorsese's 1995 A Personal Journey Through American Movies (The full three part BBC version, not the cut version currently available).

What other documentaries about cinema do you recommend? There's a 13 hour one on the Silent Era I've heard is great, but the name eludes me right now.

2. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Writing With Light. Been ages since i've seen it but it was the first thing that popped to mind when i read your post. It's about cinematography and centers around Vittorio Storaro's work.

White_Noise likes this.
  3. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Is that Hollywood (1980) by any chance? This was made by Thames Television and written by the great film scholar Kevin Brownlow. It is in rights hell so has never been issued in the digital era but full episodes appear to be on YouTube. Highly recommended.

White_Noise likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The 13-hour Thames TV documentary Hollywood, which is mostly about silent film, is a pretty amazing work. It's a crime that due to rights disputes, it was only briefly available on home video in the 1990s and was never issued on DVD.

Edit: Holy moley! Great minds think alike.

harmonica98 and White_Noise like this.
  5. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

I was going to (incorrectly) correct you and wonder whether you meant "Visions of Light", another 1992 documentary on cinematography which is very, very good but now I've realised there's another one I need to see!

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse made by Eleanor Coppola on the making of Apocalypse Now has to get my vote on the "narrow" side (i.e. the story of making one film).

White_Noise likes this.
  6. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Hah, correct away on me 'cause i initially thought the same thing, that it was Visions instead of Writing. But the first searches i did kept popping up as a book only. Oh well, you can't go wrong with either i imagine!

Maccaroni likes this.
  7. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

White_Noise and inaptitude like this.
  8. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

'The World At War' was a Thames TV production as well, not BBC.

White_Noise likes this.
  9. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

From Caligari To Hitler.
    Not the greatest but worth seeing.

Carl Swanson and stepeanut like this.
  10. not a straight documentary but Godard's Histoire(s) du Cinema video essay series is pretty fascinating and thought provoking

ando here and White_Noise like this.
  11. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident Thread Starter

I seem to
    Good Catch. For some reason I always assumed it was BBC. Maybe because of the similarly exhaustive Great War documentary from the previous decade.

I have to say the Keanu Reeves-narrated Netflix documentary comparing digital and film cinematography was fairly well done and interesting.

12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

13. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

A. Cinema is far too subjective an experience for anyone to claim a greatest anything - unless they're merely considering box office returns.
    B. Although just over a century old the medium is far too vast for any one person to claim to have watched all of the most important and/or influential films ever made.

Therefore, imo, the best retrospectives claiming to survey the best films are those that are limited to a clearly defined criteria. Martin Scorsese's My Voyage to Italy (1999) is a great example. Not that his choices aren't subjective but he does make an effort to examine the most influential Italian filmmakers and their work.

14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Hollywood is my favorite documentary series, period.

harmonica98 likes this.
  15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I enjoyed that one. Thought for the longest time it was Alan Cumming doing the narration, dunno why. But Cousins wrote the book, the script, directed and narrated.

There was also an interstitial on Turner Classic Movies some years ago that encapsulated 100 years of cinema in a few minutes; nothing like a documentary, of course, but very nicely done. TCM's "fillers" are usually well-produced; their "TCM Remembers" can choke you up.

16. doubleaapn

doubleaapn Forum Resident

Another series I recommend is "Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood" which came out in the 90's and also featured Kevin Brownlow's involvement. It's roughly 6 hours long and covers the silent era from a European perspective. Not sure about its availability - I recorded it off of (I believe) TCM many years ago - but it's a fascinating piece of work.
    The aforementioned "Visions of Light" is also an essential and tremendously rewarding/entertaining film, and one I revisit frequently.
    Finally, I'd also like to mention "The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing" which I have as a bonus feature on my BD of "Bullitt". Again, I'm not sure where else to find it but it's also well worth tracking down for those interested in editing.

Aaron

Vidiot likes this.
  17. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

After Hollywood Brownlow made a number of excellent film documentaries, including Cinema Europe as well as biographies of Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd, D.W. Griffith, Cecil B. DeMille, and John Ford. All really are must-sees for the serious movie buff.

Special mention should be made of The Unknown Chaplin, as it features extensive clips of never-released outtakes and alternate scenes -- even "new" scenes edited by Brownlow from raw, never-edited footage.

18. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

If I could only keep one laserdisc (OK, laserdisc box set), it would be this one.

[​IMG]

19. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

Not Quite Hollywood. A great little documentary about a greatly under appreciated National Cinema. Or at least it's B-grade Cinema.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.