Greatest *FREE* concert you've ever attended

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guy incognito, Jun 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Jefferson Airplane in Central Park, uh 71? I think.

2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

'72. Last concert they put on until their reunion tour. They were horrible.

3. floyd

floyd Senior Member

A funny story to that one.

My wife and I went into town (we live an hour outside Madison WI) to look for a leather sofa. We almost never have the radio on in the car when we are together because can't agree to the station volume etc... As I was putting my drink in the cup-holder I accidental hit the radio knob on right that second the announcer said "we are broadcasting from X furniture store and they have the most amazing leather sofas..." so we got the address turned the radio back off and went to look. the radio was on all of about 10 seconds.

We ended up winning front row Elton John tickets from the radio station that was broadcasting as we were in the store. it was a great concert. Just Elton and his piano. I hadn't even thought about going to this concert even though I really love his older stuff, the show was full of classics and even the newer materiel was great with the simple arrangements, a great concert.

An almost free concert was U2 on the Joshua Tree tour they played two concerts at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe AZ at the end of their tour they charged $5.00 a ticket since they wanted to have a full house as they were filming for the Rattel and Hum movie.

I've also "scalped scalpers" a couple times and got tickets for a fraction of the original cost to some big shows when the scalpers over bought not quite free but satisfying

4. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

The Saw Doctors at Ramapo College in New Jersey 3 or 4 years ago. Great band, beautiful night. Seen them several times since, but had to pay.

Jeff

5. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I've been very lucky to receive free tickets for plenty of great shows over the years but the best had to be Live Aid. I had free tickets, a free plane trip and free hotel accommodations. That was certainly a weekend to remember! I usually pay for concert tickets now but a couple of weeks ago, I had free front seats to Chicago. It was my first time seeing them live and they do not disappoint!

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

A few years ago, I took the kids to Riverside Amusement park in MA. I didn't realize until I got there that Ramones were playing there on the race track that night! Their farewell tour. It was great! Unexpected and free!

7. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Gary-
    You are correct. It's not a free show but a benefit. Still--tickets are cheap!
    Here's the story from Billboard

Stones Toronto Show A Benefit, Not A Freebie

With today's (June 24) official confirmation of a massive Rolling Stones concert in Toronto came the news that the event will not be free. The July 30 show -- which will also feature an eclectic lineup including veteran Canadian rock act Guess Who, Australian hard rock group AC/DC and U.S. pop star Justin Timberlake -- will carry the inexpensive price tag of $21.50 CAN ($16 U.S.).

Net proceeds from the concert, dubbed Molson Canadian Rocks for Toronto, will benefit the newly created Health Care and Hospitality Workers Relief Fund. Additionally, $1 from each ticket sold will be automatically directed to the fund.

Others on the bill are Sam Roberts, the Flaming Lips, Kathleen Edwards, the Isley Brothers, Sass Jordan and La Chicane. The show will be hosted by actor/musicians Dan Akroyd and Jim Belushi. TGA Entertainment representative Steve Howard, speaking on behalf of Rolling Stones tour promoter Michael Cohl, said two to three other acts would be added to the concert.

The location for the eight-hour event will be Downview Park, a former airfield north of downtown Toronto. Last year the site hosted an estimated 800,000 for a visit by Pope John Paul II.

Tickets will go on sale Friday (June 27) through Ticketmaster Canada and Ticketmaster in the U.S. In addition, grocery chain A&P will sell an allotment of tickets through its local Toronto stores beginning next week.

As reported yesterday, the outdoor show is aimed at giving the city an economic boost in the wake of the SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) outbreak earlier in the year.

"Let this be the biggest invasion of Americans to Canada since the War of 1812," Canadian Federal Finance Minister John Manley said. Molson Breweries president Dan O'Neil encouraged other companies in the city to give workers the afternoon of the concert off.

"Our goal is to showcase Toronto to the world and put tourism in Ontario firmly back on the road to recovery," Ontario's Minister of Tourism and Recreation Brian Coburn said. "Events like this, along with our hugely successful Concert for Toronto this past weekend, are providing Toronto with more events for thousands of residents and visitors to enjoy."

The Rolling Stones have used Toronto as the site of rehearsals for its last three world tours and performed three shows in the city last year, including a small venue show at Palais Royale. The group will take a brief break from its European tour after a July 27 stop in Prague. The tour will continue in Europe on Aug. 8 in Hanover, Germany.

AC/DC recently supported the Stones on a series of European shows. Timberlake, on tour with Christina Aguilera, will perform at Toronto's Air Canada Centre the night before and the night after Molson Canadian Rocks for Toronto.

-- Jason MacNeil, Toronto and Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

8. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

I did see Free, when they warmed up for Traffic. But it WASN'T free. I paid $4.00!!

9. freeflyt

freeflyt Active Member

Really?!?! Small world ain't it? Do you remember the other "free" stuff they passed out at that concert? All those baggies being hurled from the stage....

Steve

10. BenH

BenH New Member

I shan't say that I remember the other free stuff however I DO recall it being a very small world at the time!

Ben

11. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Glenn Tilbrook's impromptu outdoor acoustic show on a makeshift stage in front of Tea & Sympathy in NYC last summer. He was here around the time of the Queen's Jubilee and did a free show at this West Village expat hangout.

12. Rafter242

Rafter242 Active Member

The Buckinghams opening up for America in Chicago in 1989.

Mark P.

13. mfidelity

mfidelity Senior Member

It will be hard for me to top the Bill Graham Memorial at Golden Gate Park in 1991. It was announced the day before with no mention of who was going to play. 300,000 or so showed. The bands that played (I heard there were several bands backstage that did not get to play due to time) were: Dirty Dozen Brass Band - Aaron Neville - Robin Williams - Journey - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Los Lobos - Santana - Grateful Dead - John Fogerty (w/Dead backing him). I'm sure there ware a few I don't remember. It was an incredible day.

That was also my best music weekend to date. A Dead Halloween show in Oakland, then over to Shoreline for Neil Young's Bridge Benefit the to Golden Gate Park show. I miss the Bay Area!

14. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

The Beach Boys

Western Kentucky University

Fall 1972.

I haven't been the same ever since.

15. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I won free tickets to the The Rolling Stones "Steel Wheels Tour 1989" from KLOS rado station. Guns and Roses open for them. Great show! :cool:

16. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I almost forgot one. I saw Spirit in 1966 or 1967 in Waco, Texas at Heart O' Texas Coliseum.
    It was my first and free concert. I remeber seeing Ed Cassidy on drums and I thought, man that was old playing drums. Man could he play drums! I guess rest of the band look like they were in the 20's. Sure was a great concert!:D

keyXVII likes this.
  17. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

A few weeks ago: Doobie Bros. at Pine Knob. :D Got the free "vouchers" for lawn, which turned out not being free since we upgraded to pavillion seating...for a mere $10 each. Liked it better than the lukewarm Steely Dan concert a few weeks earlier!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.