Greatest Hits albums that don't have the actual hit versions on them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

John Hiatt re-recorded a number of his A&M tracks for Capitol's 1998 "Best of" compilation. This may have been more of a rights issue rather than a gratuitous re-recording, however.

2. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Doesn't MU The Best of Jethro Tull feature several tracks using the quad mixes (folded down to stereo, I guess) instead of the more familiar stereo versions?

Since MU was the first Tull I ever heard, I didn't notice any differences. :D

3. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

4. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I stand corrected..as ive not listened to this one in many many years....I had all the originals and didnt really need the greatest hits again....I do like every version of THE EAGLE AND THE HAWK...every one is totally different.......:wave:

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

It was intended to be a quad release, and it's unknown if the original intent was to make the stereo version a fold-down of the quad, but that's what happened after plans for a quad version were halted. Most of the songs are from stereo masters.

6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

How come the 45 version of Billy Joel's "Sometimes A Fantasy" has never been on cd? I like it better than the album version. The LP version fades too quick.

7. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

The "hit" 45 version of "She Bop" was finally released on CD in 1995, on Cyndi's best of compilation "Twelve Deadly Cyns...And Then Some". For years all you could get on CD was the original mix of the song on the "She's So Unusual" album.

8. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Steve Miller Greatest Hits has some weird edits.
    The DCC corrected those problems.

9. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

The mono hit 45 version of that song is on The Monkees Anthology set, released in 1998.

10. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

That may have been because the edits were necessary in order to contain the album on vinyl, back in 1978 when it was originally released.

11. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Ugh - the recent "Definitive Neil Sedaka" uses the '91 re-records of "Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen", "Calendar Girl", "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do", "Next Door to an Angel", etc.

The only reason I got it were for the demos ("Where the Boys Are" is absolutely awesome).

Songwriting-wise, this is definitive, yes. But what about the people who bought this as first time Neil Sedaka buyers?

Will these '91 re-records be the "definitive" version to them?? That sucks if so.

Jeff

12. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Blondie's Greatest Hits (the 19 track CD) is a mess of special mixes and special edits.

I haven't pulled the LP out but I think the Raspberries' Best uses LP versions, not the hit versions.

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Steve, I haven't read this thread yet, but the three Dog Night's original LP of "Joy To The World: Their Greatest Hits", does not contain the correct single versions of "Liar" or "Joy To The World".

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't think they were all rerecorded. Some were just stages of mixes missing certain overdubs.

While i'm at it, Chris Rea's greatest hits on East-West Records has a rerecording of "Fool (If You Think It's Over)".

15. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

They are(and were), but made sense for the single and the times. My own preference for ENDLESS SUMMER--conceptually--would have been for the Lp version(mono, of course).

Of course they would. The compilation of tapes for ENDLESS SUMMER and SPIRIT OF AMERICA were haphazard, to be kind; incompetent, to be unkind. As for mono singles from the '60s, they were still getting regular radio oldies rotation airplay, and were readily available for a few bucks apiece in record stores around the country. That's not even going into all the custom radio station comps and sundry using songs from that time.

In a general sense, yes; but that's a remnant of the institutionalized notion that an album claiming stereo on the cover and label had to be stereo, and that the word 'mono' was a stigma of some sort.

By that logic, using the 45 version of "Be True To Your School" now makes sense...:D

Because the albums were conceptual in nature, one can't even argue the compilers were obligated to include the single versions, when alternates existed(though whether on purpose or just a 'pull any old tape' thing, who knows?). Capitol was exploiting the myth of the Beach Boys, of California and youth'n'surf, hot rods, AMERICAN GRAFFITI, you name it. They exploited very well, and helped the Beach Boys come back to the top ten with original material(for another label). In other words, everybody made out quite nicely...:)

:ed:

16. Scott Strobel

Scott Strobel Forum Resident

How about America's Greatest hits, which has a lot of remixes that were done by George Martin I believe. I just never cared for the way they were remixed with all that reverb added.

17. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

If you didn't tell him, how would he know, or care?...:wave: :D

Neither did any other 3 Dog comp until the 2-CD CELEBRATE collection(and even that didn't include all of them). And the Lp you mention was stereo, like all the other 3 Dog albums, so of course it didn't have all the mono single mixes.

:ed:

18. houston

houston Forum Resident

Totally Agree :righton:

19. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

The Smiths' "Singles" contains the album mixes of "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side," "Ask" and the full-length album version of "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me."

20. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Wow! I didn't know that!

Which of the songs are fold-downs of the quad mixes?

21. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

This was the sole disappointment I had with Billy Joel's My Lives box set of two years ago. My favorite uptempo song from Billy, ignored. That crazy breakdown, mimicking Ringo at the end of "Helter Skelter," is hilarious. Fortunately, I've got a nice, clean 45 I've been waiting years to have transferred onto CD-R.

22. Linus

Linus Senior Member

As the title suggests, Chris Rea's New Light Through Old Windows compilation is totally re-recorded. Technically this is a "Best Of" not a "Greatest Hits" collection. Not a bad album but I tend to search through my old LPs for the original versions.

23. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

For many years, I have been unable to find the original single version of Sultans of swing anywhere. It's a different take on the song - it's not on the original s/t Dire Straits album and not on any comp. A strange thing actually, since the Sultans of swing 'best of' uses nearly all the other single edits or mixes.

They were already mentioned, but I think those re-recorded versions of Robert Palmer and Chris Rea hits are horrible - you'll hear them anywhere and they're also on many various artists comps. For the original versions you'll have to track back the original albums of both artists.

24. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

My biggest frustration is not with Pat Benatar's "We Live for Love," as Steve has rightfully vented, but with "Hit Me with Your Best Shot." The 45 has some great lead guitar overdubs from Neil Giraldo. I remember back in 1994, EMI's Vincent Vero claimed in ICE that all the single versions of Pat's hits were used for the two-disc, to-be-released comp All Fired Up, which he produced. To my dismay, when I picked this up I found this wasn't the case.

To my knowledge, this -- essentially the definitive version of arguably Benatar's signature song -- hasn't appeared on any greatest-hits comp from her. If I'm misinformed, will someone let me know? I'd love to finally get a CD copy of the 45 version, which wasn't even used on Chrysalis' "back-to-back hits" catalog reissue 45s! I'm fearful this is lost in the vaults forever.

25. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Motorhead re-release off No remorse (1996) has substuted the Live cuts of 'Bomber' and 'Too Late, Too Late' which were released as singles or ep's with the studio album versions, just plain lazy!!:shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.