Greatest hits albums worth owning even when you have the hits on the studio albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Jul 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

Hoy-hoy
    Status Quo, 12 gold bars (UK)
    Pious bird

Has to be good reason for one, 99% are not worthy. The above sound good, and either contain good songs from weaker albums I don't want, or from difficult to find /expensive originals and singles.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  2. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Growing up in the 70s and early 80s, everyone had The Beatles Red and Blue albums (62-66 and 67-70)

The starting running sequence of the blue album with Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane is set up that way based release dates as singles, although in the US we got used to having them on the Magical Mystery Tour albums that followed Sgt. Pepper.
    Clearly it wasn't based on recording dates, otherwise it wouldn't have had Let it Be and The Long and Winding Road at the end.

3. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

One of the best collections of rock n roll ever assembled, though it's probably too many discs to fit the purposes of this thread:

[​IMG]

Also, as a college kid in the 90s starting to buy Stones albums, I am very thankful for HOT ROCKS. Not only does it totally kick ass as a gathering of songs, but it was the only place I could find "Honky Tonk Women" at the time. I could never understand why it wasn't on any of the albums. I looked and looked every time I was in a CD store. :laugh:

4. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

I'll usually buy an artist's greaest-hits album before delving into their releases proper.

I've never understood the disdain for compilation albums. They obviously don't paint a comprehensive portrait of the artist, but they do collect their most accessible or iconic work in an affordable package. I find myself listening to The Beatles' 1 nearly as often as any of their original albums.

WilliamPoe3, dougb222 and Scopitone like this.
  5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

6. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

This is THE perfect Hall & Oates comp. The playing order and song selection are just terrific.

[​IMG]

In case it's difficult to make out from the picture, the title is "Starting All Over Again".

7. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

Aside from being an excellent collection of music, another bonus to owning the Beatles' 1967-1970 is that it's the only place you'll be able to get a copy of "A Day in the Life" that has a clean intro without the leftover crossfade from the Sgt. Pepper's Reprise, and it also ends without going into the Inner Groove. Also on 1967-1970 is "Back in the USSR" with a clean fadeout, unlike the version on The White Album which crossfades into "Dear Prudence."

8. Roberto Acero

Roberto Acero Well-Known Member

Hatful of Hollow is not exactly a Greatest Hits album, but a compilation.

9. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

The Best of Sandy Denny (Island/Hannibal) is always my go-to for this kind of thing. I went out and bought everything I could find after getting this collection. It mixes up highlights of her Fairport/Fotheringay/solo stuff so perfectly.

But there are many many others.

M.U. from Jethro Tull is a sentimental favorite. I actually love the remixes of Aqualung and Locomotive Breath here.

Same deal with Classic Yes.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  10. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

11. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Joy Division - Substance
    The Fall - 458489
    The Fall - Palace Of Swords Reversed
    Siouxsie & The Banshees - Once Upon A Time

Mr. Odd likes this.
  12. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Sean likes this.
  13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

James Taylor's Greatest Hits is worth owning just because it's packed full of so many great songs that flow so well together.

Plus, it has two exclusive tracks.

Sean, Jarleboy and CybrKhatru like this.
  14. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

New Order's Substance as well, which is a marvellous listen.

George P and Poison_Flour like this.
  15. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

I think Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits vol. 2 (the American two-disc one) is a superlative compilation. It's less a GH than a 'trip into the mind of Bob Dylan', both as performer and as compiler. It's just a great listen.

16. pinkchris1967

pinkchris1967 Exalted and Revered Member

Deepest Purple: The Very Best of Deep Purple (1980)

[​IMG]

17. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

Spooky Tooth, That was only yesterday. I could be happy owning this and selling off the rest.

18. BradOlson

I have the Warner Bros. CD of this comp and I had the Rhino Very Best Of... previously and I prefer the sound of the Deepest Purple WB CD over the Rhino comp.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Jarleboy and pinkchris1967 like this.
  19. BradOlson

The Best of B.B. King on MCA's 1973 LP comp or the 1980s CD issue are worth having if you have a QS quad receiver or a Dolby ProLogic II/Dolby Surround receiver.

20. recordman33

recordman33 Forum Resident

Also has a live version of "For Emily, Wherever I May Find Her" that blows the studio version out of the water.

Rojo and Jarleboy like this.
  21. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Eagles Greatest Hits
    Elton John's GH
    Lovin Spoonful GH
    EW&F GH
    And, of course, Marshall Crenshaw's first record! ;)

22. George P

George P Notable Member

Can I ask why you think these are worth owning even if you have the hits on the studio albums?

23. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You know, I think they just hold up well as a stand-alone record. Well structured. And as a snap-shot of a brief period, they work!

To that end, I should also include Changesonebowie. That one may work best of all!

George P likes this.
  24. BradOlson

Kenny Rogers and The First Edition's Greatest Hits is an essential album, period.

Folknik likes this.
  25. BradOlson

The reason why I recommend these comps is because these basically tell the story of how Amy evolved as an artist in a digest form in many ways.

Folknik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.