Greatest hits albums worth owning even when you have the hits on the studio albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Jul 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Only problem I have with it (other than the omission of "Fakin' It" and "Hazy Shade of Winter") is the crossfade in which the loud applause at the end of the live "Homeward Bound" practically drowns out the piano intro of "Bridge Over Troubled Water". They should have faded that applause sooner, like they did with the live "59th St. Bridge Song" into "Sound of Silence."

Murph and recordman33 like this.
  2. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

It certainly is, despite the omission of the single "Only Me", probably omitted because it was only a moderate hit and Kenny didn't sing lead on it.

BradOlson likes this.
  3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

In fact, this single bubbled under

Folknik likes this.
  4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The LP however sounds like crap. You can't do heavy music with 32 minute sides.

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  5. BradOlson

@McLover has an EMI UK vinyl of Deepest Purple that is pressed well but for most people wanting this comp, look for it on CD, even the Warner Bros. CD is fine, and call it good.

McLover and pinkchris1967 like this.
  6. pinkchris1967

pinkchris1967 Exalted and Revered Member

Sorry to butt in, but I just bought the Eagles Greatest hits the other day because of the Barry Diament mastering even though I already have these songs in full length album form.

7. pinkchris1967

My first experience with Deep Purple was this album on cassette, which is why I think I like it so much still.

The Slug Man and BradOlson like this.
  8. BradOlson

I also enjoy the Creative Sounds comp of the Mk. 1 era although it is sourced from worn out vinyl at least the vinyl didn't skip and the dynamics are much better than the Rhino counterparts. The Audio Fidelity studio tracks from the Mk. 1 era are even better mastered than the Creative Sounds comp. I am not buying a remastered comp of the Mk. 1 era unless I am aware that the sound is decent.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Cool! Which one is the Diament, the Non RE SRC pressing?

10. BradOlson

Yes indeed

11. pinkchris1967

I'm not sure. I was actually just going off of your updated list in the Essential Barry Diament masterings (part 2) thread. I just assumed all of the releases were done by him because there are no specifics provided in the list. The one that I picked up (used) does sound really good though.

12. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The Seeds - Evil Hoodoo (Drop Out)
    Chocolate Watchband - The Best Of (Rhino)
    The Electric Prunes - Long Day's Flight (Edsel)

I have all the music from the above bands but these compilations are the best one disc collections to get your feet wet.

13. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it charted, but I do remember hearing it on the radio a few times and seeing a video of it on some variety show. It was certainly a radical departure from "Just Dropped In" which had preceded it.
    What about "Momma's Waiting" and "Love Woman?" Were those even singles at all or are they just key deep cuts? Either way, they fit in nicely with the album's flow. "Momma's Waiting" (which Kenny re-recorded on one of his solo albums) is one of their best story songs and "Love Woman" proved that they could rock out when they took a notion.

14. BradOlson

Momma's Waiting was the B-Side to Something's Burning, Love Woman wasn't a single

Folknik likes this.
  15. tomd

tomd Senior Member

1.The Replacements-Do You Know Who I Was? Rhino comp combines the best Twin Tone Tracks with the Sire tracks

2.The Jesus and Mary Chain-21 Singles

3.The Style Council-Singular Adventures of

4.Lenny Kravitz-Greatist Hits

5.The English Beat-Beat This!

6.Fine Young Cannibals-The Finest

7.The Faces-Good Boys While They're Asleep

8.Squeeze-Singles 45 And Under
    9.Roxy Music-The Best of

10.Grateful Dead-Skelletons From The Closet

16. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

The Kinks Greatest Hits on Reprise from 1967 holds up well as an album.

geo50000 and rockerreds like this.
  17. TeleStrat

TeleStrat Senior Member

One that I have always liked is "Linda Ronstadt Greatest Hits".
    1976 Asylum Records - 7E 1092

[​IMG]

18. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Most have picked Greatest Hits that add something you can't get on the original albums - different masterings, bonus tracks specially recorded for them, etc. But I like this one because even though I love the original albums it draws from, and it lacks some big hits made before and after, and it's one variant, a "live" version of Hot Blooded I could do without, it's still a tidy summary of the hits from the first four albums:

[​IMG]

pinkchris1967, Galley and Folknik like this.
  19. popscene

popscene Senior Member

All great choices. For CWB, I usually reach for the Forty Four compilation over the albums proper. Just down and dirty David Aguilar snarl, perfectly sequenced.

[​IMG]

Platterpus likes this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

Ah, the old "one live song on a compilation" move. I hate that! :mad:

21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The problem is it misses Let's Talk About Girls arguably their best known track.

22. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I have this one and it's a keeper, but if they were only going to give us 10 songs, I would much rather have "Blue Morning,Blue Day" (which I like) than "Dirty White Boy" (which I hate). As for the live "Hot Blooded", if ever a song didn't need to be 7 minutes long, it's that one.

23. BradOlson

In the case of the B.B. King comp from the early 1970s on LP/ 1980s on CD, it uses QS quad mixes which is a great example of the different masterings deal. The Amy Grant comps do have bonus tracks recorded for the comps, but even without the bonus tracks, they tell the story of her prime years comprehensively, although no matter if one is a casual fan or not, the bonus tracks on "The Collection" are essential for casual and hardcore fans alike.

24. popscene

popscene Senior Member

True, but the well known version featured session vocalist Don Bennett. I could be wrong, but not sure that the Dave Aguilar version was "discovered" at the time of this comp.

25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Maybe, but I wouldn't consider it definitive without their best known track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.