Greatest Hits collections that have stood the test of time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CDmp3, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barking spider

barking spider Forum Resident

2. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

An addition to the above: "Hits" is a concept that works in the sense that it is an objective measure. Every one can agree what the
    biggest hits are (although it's ambiguous whether "greatest" hits means the best of them or it means the biggest selling of them).
    On the other hand "best-of" is a title of limited utility, as no two people are going to agree as to what are the best tracks by the artist)

The compiler of the Merle Haggard 4-cd compilation Down Every Road, acknowledged as much by giving the collection a nondescript title as he did. I mention this one because it is one of the rare pop comps that doesn't gutlessly compromise up and down the line in an attempt to please everyone and ends up pleasing no one. It's clear that the compiler wants to represent Merle at his very best. period.
    Now, as I said, it's pointless to name it a best of, because no two people are going to agree. Nonetheless, the compiler clearly has this in mind. He wants a collection that makes a good argument for Merle the artist. He includes a lot of hits, of course, but only those he thinks are good enough. He doesn't hesitate to leave many of Merle's biggest hits off the collection because he doesn't think they are GOOD ENOUGH. Likewise, there are lots of non-single tracks regardless of how obscure, if he thinks they are good enough. It is one of the most thoughtful compilations I've ever come across. (sounds good too. Now if only someone would hire Steve to remaster it I'd die happy.

3. Roli

Roli Forum Resident

Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady

4. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.