“Greatest Hits” comps that don’t really represent the artist/band properly

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by altaeria, Oct 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

ALL Neil Sedaka Greatest Hits packages. Because of label hopping From 50's to 70's comeback, NONE are satisfactory.

blutiga likes this.
  2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

IMHO....any greatest hits or best of compilation that excludes any top 40 song is incomplete.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Sinatra compilations in my opinion do not do him justice. He recorded too many silly singles that were hits. The albums are very thematic and conceptual, and as such, they display his talents much more thoroughly.

Byrds compilations usually suck, because the focus is always on Jim and Dylan, while the other members get the short shrift.

altaeria likes this.
  4. ShockControl

Some hits fade quickly from the popular consciousness, while other songs that were not "hits" in the traditional sense have more staying power. So a good "Greatest Hits" package in my opinion needs to take into account those records falling in the latter category.

rjp likes this.
  5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Elton John’s Greatest Hits leaves out “Tiny Dancer” and “Levon” in favor of the lesser hit (and, IMO, weaker tune) “Border Song.” And, according to Wikipedia, the U.S. LP didn’t include “Candle in the Wind,” while international editions included it but cut “Bennie and the Jets.” :yikes:

Christgau is even less of a fan than I am (“I don’t agree that singles are Elton’s metier”). His ideal EJ comp would have included stuff like “Your Sister Can’t Twist” and “Solar Prestige a Gammon.” :D

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

agreed.

7. ShockControl

Yes. Chart positions represent a snapshot in time, and do not present the fullest picture of an artist's impact over time.

john lennonist likes this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the one example i always seem to go back to is the one readily available andy kim's greatest hits that doesn't have 'rainbow ride" on it.

9. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Agreed. Looking at the Beatles' performance on the U.S. Billboard chart, "She's A Woman" and "Do You Want To Know A Secret" both made the top five, and "Matchbox" and "Ain't She Sweet" both placed in the top twenty (as did the posthumous "Movie Medley"). Not necessarily bad songs, but not ideal representations of the band. "I Am The Walrus" stalled out at #56. Their collection of #1s provides a balanced and concise overview of their career, but if you expand beyond that point, you'd do better to explore key B-sides and album tracks rather than rely on chart placements alone.

dbone828 and john lennonist like this.
  10. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Neil Young's Greatest Hits comp sorta passes over the whole 80's/Geffen era as though it never happened, jumping from "Into The Black" to "Rockin' In The Free World". Not even "This Note's For You" was deemed worthy for inclusion...

11. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Every Greatest Hits compilation that contains re-recorded versions of the original hits. There are some artists/labels doing this.

dbone828 and john lennonist like this.
  12. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Greatest Hits collections should be just that. They should contain all their biggest hit songs. Best Of is problematic. No one ever agrees about that.

Before Eliminator, ZZ Top had only two top 40 songs. They've only had 2 US top 10s. Their actual greatest hits could be put out as an EP.

13. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

There have always been many 'bogus' Greatest Hits/Best Of's out there misrepresenting Artists who appeared on different labels before they really caught fire, or from recordings of dubious sources. Then there are the many Greatest Hits albums that contain 'a new song' specially placed on the track list in anticipation of becoming the next 'hit', although I guess that's a different thread topic.

john lennonist and dmiller458 like this.
  14. dmiller458

It's especially irritating when that new song is also the weakest track, then it becomes their biggest hit.

dbone828 and blutiga like this.
  15. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

:D
    There must have been a thread about this topic on here somewhere?

16. ShockControl

I would never expect a greatest hits collection by any artist to span that wide of a timeframe. Even if a label had the rights to all of that material, it would probably end up being stylistically inconsistent.

17. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Agree 100% re Grateful Dead "Hits" sets.

Also, in the case of a lot of bands (not the Dead) licensing issues due to multiple labels or rights holders (Matthew Katz, anyone?) prevents any one entity from having the ability to compile the best songs.

blutiga likes this.
  18. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Some re-recorded hits packages, like Spot the Difference by Squeeze and Mr. Blue Sky by Electric Light Orchestra, exist because the artist doesn't own the masters to their hit records. It's an attempt, however symbolic or incomplete, at owning one's work. I know in the case of the Squeeze album, they deliberately attempted to copy the originals as exactly as they could. Unfortunately, Glenn Tilbrook sounds a little hoarse on the new recordings. Also, they brought back Paul Carrack to sing "Tempted," and Carrack plays keys on "Loving You Tonight," on which he sang back in 1993, but the new version has Tilbrook on vocals. I'm not sure why they deviated from the original like that when they clearly had Carrack in the studio.

blutiga likes this.
  19. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I disagree with this, but I would love it if you could point me in the direction of the discussion. It doesn't seem like many people on this forum know Acetone.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  20. RoryMcBride

RoryMcBride Forum Resident

I remember being disappointed at a few VU compilations that had the live Sweet Jane from 1969 and Rock And Roll from Another View instead of the cuts from Loaded due to the different record companies. The last one (that starts with I'm Sticking With You!) has got the studio versions. No VU compilation is worth it's salt without Sister Ray or Some Kinda Love imo.

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Queen (+) - Greatest Hits III, containing remixes, solo recordings, modern collab versions etc.
    Well, for a while it was the only opportunity to get 'Thank God It's Christmas' on CD.

[​IMG]

22. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Genesis - Turn it On Again

[​IMG]

realmdemagic and kwadguy like this.
  23. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Any greatest hits album will just skim the surface.
    If you really like an artist, explore the entire catalog.

realmdemagic and andrewskyDE like this.
  24. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

Peak chart placements only represent a moment in time. Many album cuts receive far more airplay, streams and downloads than songs that appeared on the Billboard charts.
    I don't think most people would complain of these songs were included on greatest hits albums, despite not technically being "hits" in the Billboard sense.
    Beatles - "Here Comes the Sun"
    Pink Floyd - "Wish You Were Here"
    Led Zeppelin - "Stairway to Heaven"
    U2 - "Sunday Bloody Sunday"
    Rolling Stones - "Gimme Shelter"
    The Who - "Baba O'Riley"

I think a hit could be defined as a success, not limited to a specific moment in time.

25. dmiller458

"That's my favorite hit by them, man!"
    "Dude, it wasn't a hit. It wasn't even released as a single."
    "Yeah?"
    "Yeah."
    "Well, it's a hit to me."

They belong on a Best Of...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.