Green Acres

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I loved how Sam Drucker was almost winking at you during the show saying "can you believe the nutty people?"

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Great show. An old college pal of mine made a great argument that Green Acres could be considered a science-fiction show, because of the elements like the intelligent pig, the square eggs, and a number of other unexplained phenomena on the show every week. Watching Green Acres was like being transported to another world.

People forget that in the final season of Green Acres, Oliver Douglass seemed to have sort of cracked and accepted all the nuttiness around him, and they had to bring in new characters to be bewildered by the "Green Acres way" that things were happening. I always credit producer/director Richard Bare as being the guy who gave Green Acres that kind of bizarre style, particularly in the comic timing, which was radically different from all the other rural shows on the air at the time.

GuildX700 and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  3. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

To this day, I still sometimes call a policeman Arnold Ziffle.

Not to his face of course. :cop:

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  4. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we need a complete box set...they need to get off their ass and give us Green Acres what we need! I love this show madly...

halfjapanese, rod and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  6. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

I've got a few seasons

7. Michael

I have all the seasons...the official 3 sets and decent quality DVD-Rs for the rest...season 4&5 are mostly complete season 6 is edited syndicated.

8. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

There are some shows/movies you like as a kid, but when you watch as adult, you realize they're just for kids; then there are shows you appreciate on a whole 'nother level as adult. Green Acres is a classic example of a show I could only truly appreciate when watching later in life on Nick-at-Nite. The episode where Lisa saw the "Written By's" cinched it.

Gilligan's Island and Welcome Back, Kotter are examples of ones that didn't fare so well (I'm currently watching Kotter, but mostly for the nostalgia). All the characters are largely one-dimensional and one-joke. That is, oddly, true with Green Acres (Mrs Haney and Kimball, for example), but there's actually a self-awareness that they're that way, as if they said, 'Let's take this NY lawyer and put him in a place where everybody's extremely predictable,' and it contributes to Oliver's slow-burn.

C'mon, Shout! Do that thing you do with stalled television DVD releases.

troggy likes this.
  9. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

To Fred: "You treat that pig better that your wife."

Fred: "Have you seen Doris, lately?"

Larry Naramore, Shawn and Blastproof like this.
  10. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Eb Dawson:
    [​IMG]
    "Mr. Ziffel! Notice where your wife's standing? Under the mistletoe!"

(pause)

Fred Ziffel:
    [​IMG]
    "Why don't you mind your own business?"

forthlin and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

If anything it's like the matrix before the matrix
    all them are in some kind of alien and just being
    studied . like a twilight zone ep.

12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I looked for Green Acres on Hulu and can't find it?

13. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

What KevinP said...

I'm still waiting for the Fernwood 2 Night release from Shout!

KevinP likes this.
  14. Michael

my favorite Eb line: Can I call you Dad? LOL!

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  15. Michael

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    not bad!

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  16. inperson

inperson Senior Member

When I watch it it kind of reminds me of my life in China. I was Oliver.

17. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

If you casual watch it, on the surface it may not ring your bell, but once you really "get" it, you're there. To this day I still hear folks call a questionable guy a Mr. Haney.

KevinP likes this.
  18. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I think the show has aged very well. Smart writing and execution. Has its own beat.

RickH likes this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, I must be on that list. I always thought it to be somewhat annoying with everyone being stereotypically hillbilly thick all the time. Reading all these positive comments about the show is like reading posts from an alternate universe from my perspective...

20. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

:righton: Another thumbs up from that Green alternate universe! Hank Kimball is my favorite civil servant. :righton:

21. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Good morning!
    Well, it's not really a 'good' morning. In fact, it's not even 'morning.' It's more like...what was the question again?

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

23. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Eustace Charleton Haney: [after learning Oliver and Lisa are going to be out of town for a few days] While yer away on yer trip, I thought you might like to avail yerself of Haney's Farm Mindin' Service.
    Oliver Wendell Douglass: HANEY'S FARM MINDING SERVICE?
    Eustace Charleton Haney: Yessir, at Haney's Farm Mindin' Service, for a nom-yew-nal fee we will move into yer house, eat yer food, drink yer likker, and turn away any unwanted relatives that might show up at yer door.

Lisa Douglas: When you married me you knew that I couldn't cook, I couldn't sew, and I couldn't keep house. All I could do was talk Hungarian and do imitations of Zsa Zsa Gabor.
    Oliver Douglas: Who?

Oliver Douglas: But he couldn't be dead.
    Fred Ziffel: Oh, yes he could, I personally attended his funeral.
    Oliver Douglas: Are you sure?
    Fred Ziffel: I don't know what you do in New York, but around here we don't give a man a funeral unless we're pretty sure he needs one.

24. John54

John54 Senior Member

I used to watch the show a lot when it was current, and I don't remember much at all. A few jokes maybe, like Eb carrying a bucket of water and saying something like, "This is H-2-O -- that's one little H and two little Os".

But I do remember how it ended, with a fun little twist. And Arnold of course!

25. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

I guess I was one of the few that were in-between liking it and not liking it. I loved all the characters actors, but I don't think I ever once laughed at Eddie Albert or Eva Gabor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.