Green Day - American Idiot Best Press

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leonthepro, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Has anyone tried the different releases through the years? Which mastering gave this album the superior sound?

We have the:

• 2004 Original
    • Stan Ricker cut
    • RJ Sterling cut
    as the best contenders as I see it.

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I only have the Ricker Cut. It sounds fine. No idea if any of the other presses are better.

Leonthepro likes this.
  3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic Thread Starter

Alright, Ive heard some who prefer the RJ cut over it, but never some who compared.

4. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

I'd be curious as well. Epic album.

5. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

My advice is to just skip this one on vinyl and get the HDtracks release.

I have a red and black pressing that uses the half-speed cut. The problem? There are weird gaps between the tracks, they’re really jarring and disrupt the flow of the album.

Particularly the crossfade into Blvd. of Broken Dreams comes to mind. Destroys the listening experience. When I heard it I was so beyond frustrated, I never want to spin this one again.

At any point during the actual mastering process, or y’know, evaluating the test pressings, someone should have caught that and said “hey. That’s not right”

This literally means that the album was cut slap-dash from a bunch of files without any real care or effort put into it. Providing those files to an engineer with a really good cutting chain isn’t gonna change the fact that the source material provided was flawed and should have been checked over a bit more carefully.

Provide prepared cutting masters that are 1 file per side, instead of a whole group of separated tracks, and slip-ups like this can be entirely avoided.

sandimascharvel and stef1205 like this.
  6. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Thanks - good to know. I hadn't heard about this issue previously.

MrRom92 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.