Gregg Allman final studio album, "Southern Blood", produced by Don Was, set for release on 8-Sep-17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

2. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Gregg seemed to have written himself out some time in the 70s or 80s if I remember correctly.
    That hasn't stopped me from really enjoying his solo albums, though. Low Country Blues was a great return to form, imo.

3. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Yeah, it is. I was trying to remember from memory instead of looking it up. Always dangerous.

Myke likes this.
  4. Myke

I'll maybe wait for the vinyl on this one. That is to say, a wider release of the vinyl, for the lowest price.

j4yheindeo likes this.
  5. JackS

JackS Then Play On

We visited Muscle Shoals in the Spring and the good folks at Fame Studios confirmed that he had been there ,working on this album.

6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I'm ready for this to come out

Clanceman and jmrife like this.
  7. WarEagleRK

Clanceman and RiRiIII like this.
  8. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

9. WarEagleRK

According to an article in Relix Magazine here are the 10 songs on the album.

(not in album order)

1. Love Like Kerosene (GA guitarist Scott Sharrard cover)
    2. Once I Was (Tim Buckley cover)
    3. Love The Life I Live (Willie Dixon cover)
    4. Out of Left Field (Percy Sledge cover)
    5. Blind Bats And Swamp Rats (Johnny Jenkins cover)
    6. Willin' (Little Feat cover)
    7. Going, Going, Gone (Bob Dylan cover)
    8. Black Muddy River (Grateful Dead cover)
    9. Song For Adam (Jackson Browne cover)
    10. My Only True Friend (Allman/Sharrard original)

Wright and RiRiIII like this.
  10. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Interesting selection think I will like this a lot shame there are not more originals.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  11. Couldn't find this anywhere else in the states so what the hell, preordered too. Thank you for the link. It has a DVD and it's under $20 shipping included to the U.S. :tiphat:

Clanceman likes this.
  12. WarEagleRK

I'm sure Amazon US will have a non-imported version listed soon enough so I will hold off to preorder until then.

13. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Surprised at the inclusion of the Dead song. Gregg always gave us the impression
    he was ambivalent about them.

14. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Bob Dylan's Going Going Gone is quite the song to cover on your swan song. I bet Gregg owns it.

budwhite and jwoverho like this.
  15. pool_of_tears

I'm interested in Willin'...

16. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

When the ABB played Nobody Left To Run With, they had a video screen showing deceased legends, and the picture of Jerry got the loudest applause, so he was more than aware of their shared history and audience.

budwhite and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  17. Myke

They shared a stage !

[​IMG]

Clanceman and nbadge like this.
  18. WarEagleRK

They shared the stage many times, most famously with The Band at Watkins Glen, but he had been a critic of the Dead and other bands like that for years. The curse that Gregg Allman lived with was being in a first class jamming band, but not really enjoying the long drawn out songs. When you check out his solo shows the songs were much tighter and didn't have the long jams. They played with the Dead at the Fillmore and other places a lot and I think there was a level of respect for them, but Gregg wasn't a huge fan.

I assume that Don Was, Scott Sharrard or someone picked out or suggested some of the covers.

A great story that Derek Trucks tells is the year that Jimmy Herring was in the band Derek & Jimmy took Mountain Jam into space and after the show Gregg comes up to them on the bus and asks "So who's the Phish fan?" Derek replied "not me" and Gregg said "That's not what we do, back it off a little bit". Then later he came back to them and said "sorry about that, just do what you feel is right, me and my brother would fight about these things all the time."

19. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

A la Warren Zevon with "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" with his final album, The Wind.

20. pool_of_tears

Also:
    Fillmore West early 1970
    Watkins Glen 1973

Of course, you already know that

21. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Yes, but even if you don't care for a lot of what a band does, you can completely appreciate a song they've written or performed. Especially if you think you might be able to do some justice to it yourself.

I know that although Gregg wasn't huge on The Dead as a band or performers or their scene (or whatever it was he didn't care for), but he was friendly with them and he was probably familiar enough with many of the songs to have some he liked. He had just said in a recent interview that Bob Weir was one his favorite people in the world and would love to work with him.

22. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Whoa, that's a pretty heavy one-two punch!

Clanceman likes this.
  23. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

Clanceman and RiRiIII like this.
  24. Myke

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Clanceman likes this.
  25. WarEagleRK

Amazon US finally has the CD/DVD option listed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.