Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

"There’s a job somewhere for him" - meaning Zeppelin (because Plant doesn't want to do it) - in other words, 'that's the guy that imitates me'.

That's the way I read that anyway.

Michael Rose and JasonA like this.
  2. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

The guys in Van Fleet are very young and starting out. Coverdale was a seasoned and successful rock musician. Plant is deferring to the rookies. Rightly so.
    Good man.
    Still he does use that wit.:cool:;)

Paperback Writer likes this.
  3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Man, these newly announced shows are selling out! I just tried to purchase Starland Ballroom tickets here in Jersey...no dice.

4. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Same here.

They're playing a ton of huge festivals (Coachella, Hangout etc.) this summer too.

If the new album, expected in a couple months, does well - they'll be moving up to headlining theaters next. Not too shabby.

johnny q likes this.
  5. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I'm too lazy to go back and re-read the previous posts......at these concerts, are they playing
    new material? Do they cover LZ?

6. JosephRose

JosephRose Forum Resident

7. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I agree, to me it sounds like they went into a room and went "ok let's do our best to write a Led Zeppelin song", especially vocally. It is hard to take it seriously

That being said Safari Song and some others are pretty rockin' instrumentally and its not that I hate the vocals, I just always have that nagging Plant in the back of my head just chuckling as he hears it

pig bodine likes this.
  8. DPM

DPM Senior Member

That's OK. I'm sure Janis Joplin was doing some chuckling when she heard Robert for the first time.

9. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Been through this forty years ago.It was a band called Led Zeppelin.

10. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I think there was way more of a difference between those two vocally than Plant and the GFF singer though - and not because of the obvious difference in male and female vocal chords.

11. aroney

Been through this during the whole thread. ;)

Seriously, it's blues-based rock (thankfully), with Led Zep as an influence (thankfully).

I actually think folks who say the singer "sounds just like Robert Plant" have tin ears or something, especially since it's really easy to pick the two apart (if you actually listen and when you hear the straight Zep covers from them).

Influence? For sure. Copy? Nope, not to these ears (and I'm a huge Zep Head).

Maybe we should just slag Plant for making a career out of aping Janis Joplin too?

The kid also does a good job of "sounding just like Adele" on the latest tune (Rolling in the Deep) - because he has GREAT pipes.

Maybe he should start smoking, doing blow, and drinking more to destroy them. :D

12. JosephRose

JosephRose Forum Resident

For real. It's not like drugs have ever contributed to some amazing, original music over the years. Nope.

13. aroney

...and a whole lot of horrible, inane, and downright stupid music/lyrics too (along with early demise of far too many musical GIANTS). :p

Tree of Life likes this.
  14. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

I think Greta Van Fleet have the dumb lyrics covered without drugs yea.. not Wolfmother bad but close

WarEagleRK and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  15. aroney

What bands do you like? Just curious.

16. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Here's my attitude on these guys: Young listeners never had the chance to see Zeppelin or experience their music when it was new. So OK, let them have a poor man's version to call their own. At least they're young guys playing rock & roll (and selling out shows). So I'm cool with it. Lord knows I've loved enough bands that could be called Beatles and Stones knockoffs over the years. So sure, why not?

17. aroney

artfromtex likes this.
  18. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

At what age does one lose sufficient self-awareness to articulate this brand of benign condescension without apparent perspicacity? Or, if words require a sepia tinge to merit your attention:

"And these children that you spit on
    As they try to change their worlds
    Are immune to your consultations
    They're quite aware of what they're going through"

I'd quote Townsend's anthemic aspiration with regard to the intergenerational transposition of human attitudes, but it's clearly too late.

ArchimedesEcho and aroney like this.
  19. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

51, give or take.

20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Greta Van Fleet are not really my cup of sheep dip but they do what they do well enough.

Reckon they'd be a blast live.

longdist01 likes this.
  21. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I stumbled upon them on one of the late night shows last night and thought they were horrible, before I knew who they were. I was surprised that it was a name that I recognized. Just seemed tuneless and uninteresting, and the lead singer was doing a silly impersonation of Robert Plant.

FrixFrixFrix and carlwm like this.
  22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Well, it's impossible to like everything. :)

23. I’m young enough to remember when Springsteen first came out - some folks thought his music sounded too much like Van Morrison amd that the late; great Tom Petty + the HBs sounded too much like Jagger and The Byrds ........LOL

The lead singer /Plant comparisons both pro and con are numerous - how about the lead guitar player - I venture there is no way one can compare him to Page - but that aside- Live - is he pretty good -with a promise for the future?

carlwm likes this.
  24. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Origin of name:

Well, Gretna Van Fleet with an “n” between the “t” and the “a”. I never really got to meet her prior naming the band after her. We had to come up with the band name a day before one of the shows we were doing, the first big show we would do in the street at the Auto Fest there. Our previous drummer, the original drummer that we had for about a year, had gone to lunch with his grandfather and his grandfather was going to drop him off over here so we could practice here in the garage. It’s the epicenter of our meanderings. We said “My grandfather said he had to go cut wood for Gretna Van Fleet. I think that could be a cool title.” So we took the “n” out because it would be easier. That’s what we stuck with. We went into town and did the first show and from then on, that was title. A lot of interesting things happened since with the title. Because she’s right in town, we would play festivals at the Fischer Hall downtown and there would people calling Gretna asking at her house asking if she was playing a show there. She used to be a drummer in a polka band. Her and her husband came out to listen to us and they gave us their blessing. We’ve had a good relationship with them.

Duke Fame likes this.
  25. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Greta Van Fleet > Jay_Z , Miley, Beiber, Perry, Minaj and all the others

I can see this band easily morph into doing some Rush like stuff too, the drummer has the chops.

artfromtex likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.