Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I seem to remember the Stones doing a fair bit of mimicry when they started out. They turned out ok.

Purple, Larry L, eddiel and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

And yet still better than Greta Van Fleet.

DHamilton and DPK like this.
  3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

What a bizarre post. lol

aroney and Tree of Life like this.
  4. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria Thread Starter

Whatever

5. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

none of the bands listed are death metal.

enjoy your top 40 pop hits.

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  6. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Weird, GVF copying an almost 50 year old sound. Didn't Zep start out kind of the same way?

7. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

8. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Okay. You didn't watch/listen though. Any fan of rock music would appreciate that performance.

They keep getting better - especially live. You guys embarrass yourselves.

You guys are like Rolling Stone mag in 69. Hilarious. :p

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  9. Yes I did. Don't tell me what I did or didn't do. You're just gonna have to accept that people can have opinions. If they are getting better, that has nothing to do with whether or not someone will like them. I'm not embarrassed and I'm only one guy, guy.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Tree of Life

OK, we get it...you don't like them

Now, go listen and thread cap somewhere else!!!

11. Its not thread crapping. It's part of the discussion. The title of your own thread is Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?, which is very vague but inviting opinions on the subject. Your first post does not even outline how you would like the discussion to proceed. You can't attack everyone with a differing opinion just because you started the thread.

12. Tree of Life

No it doesn't, but we get you don't like them

Honestly, we do

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

To be fair, we also have the pro-GVF members saying that any fan of rock would appreciate that clip and that we are somehow embarrassing ourselves (I guess?) for not liking them.

14. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

@Tree of Life, @aroney - It's great that you've gotten pumped on a new band you can get behind, but maybe just like that band, you might want to dial it back a bit.

D.D.

15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Zeppelin didn't cop someone's sound (let alone from 50 years prior). They made partial thefts here and there. They very much had their own sound. That's the difference I see with 60s-80s bands combining their influences and yes, even making some lifts, to create their own sound vs someone replicating the sound of a particular artist. When Zeppelin was coming up, there wasn't decades of territory already claimed. They was still plenty of room to innovate, as could many other bands for many years. I personally find rock music to have screeched to a halt in the 90s. The bands then were basically combining everything that had come before into a crockpot (classic, metal, punk, electronic) and being credited for creating new sounds and fashion. But it was really a final meal made from all the scraps of past meals. Now it's bands cooking from recipe books.

The more videos I watch of GVF, the more I find their music to be Zeppelin soundalike.

Kaelu and violetvinyl like this.
  16. ?

17. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Caught the first Toronto show on Friday. They were solid. Definitely have the classic rock tropes nailed down (atmospheric extended organ intro with nothing but backlight, extended drum solo, singer wearing feather necklace, etc.). I don't know if it's just T.O. or the venue (which usually does its trade as a bottle service-type nightclub) but there was a preponderance of frat boys and douchebros in the crowd. Literally the worst crowd I've seen in 25 years. Really ruined the vibe as most of them were hammered and obnoxious (they couldn't seem to respect anyone else's space and a couple of them were looking to start a fight). Would've like to have seen the band under better circumstances.

Queezma, Daryl M and Tree of Life like this.
  18. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

artfromtex and aroney like this.
  19. FFF

FFF Forum Resident

I saw these kids live last week and believe me, they are for real.

Check out the lead singer channeling Plant

[​IMG]

artfromtex likes this.
  20. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

We've got the new single; I repeat, we've got the new single!

aroney, MikeInFla, artfromtex and 3 others like this.
  21. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

My initial opinion on the single is although the chorus is derivative of their previous material to my ears (I.E. Black Smoke Rising), it still kicks some serious butt rhythmically and instrumentally, and makes me super excited for their new LP whenever it comes!

22. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

Awesome :D

They're great, love them.

Hope they release a full album soon.

23. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Tremendous.

If I could make just one small suggestion, I think the kid would sound a lot better with a ball gag.

DHamilton, AveryKG and Man at C&A like this.
  24. Hgavinyl

Hgavinyl Forum Resident

I think the new single is their weakest yet. It might grow on me, but right now its at the bottom for me.

25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They're obviously talented, but I find them naff.

KaptKopter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.