Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I hear it too. Totally agree.

Adom Heart Brother likes this.
  2. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

I'm a bit conflicted with these guys, from what I've heard so far. They've clearly got talent - they can sing and they can play. However, I find it a bit sterile - it's like paint by numbers classic rock. They do all the right stuff but it just seems to be devoid of emotion. In the live videos, it seems like a choreographed performance rather than a bunch of guys really committing and rocking out. They're very young, though, so definitely have potential.

Gumboo, FrixFrixFrix and jmczaja like this.
  3. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident

These guys are amazing, the singer sounds EXACTLY like Robert Plant. I could swear i'm listening to Zeppelin, I wonder if Led Zeppelin heard of them!

4. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

The show at the Pour House Music Hall in Raleigh is sold out, so is their show at The Earl in Atlanta.

5. artfromtex

I purchased their CD from their website on Tuesday and got an email yesterday that they were refunding my money because they are out of stock. Found one on eBay, thankfully.

So yeah, their arrow is pointing up big time!!

6. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

PS. All Them Witches is far more interesting/creative...

mattright likes this.
  7. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I wonder if they have ever covered a Led Zeppelin song in concert. It would be interesting to hear what they could.do with one of them.

MikeInFla likes this.
  8. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I saw them last night and they were great. The club was packed (sold out) and the crowd was very supportive. In addition to the songs from the EP, they played three cover versions. First they did Evil (Howling Wolf), That's Alright Mama, and a medley including Boogie Children . These guys can really play. Very enjoyable.

Tree of Life and artfromtex like this.
  9. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I know three of them are brothers. When they started they had no idea their brother had the vocal abilities he had

10. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

In their earlier days they did, and by earlier I mean when they were younger teens. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a straight cover now though.

They do, however, play blues medleys that Zep used to do, "gotta let that boy, gotta let that boy..."

Tree of Life and rockclassics like this.
  11. aroney

Stylistically - yes. However, the more you listen, and if you happen to hear/see them live, the less he sounds like Plant, especially on the tune Black Smoke Rising.

12. artfromtex

The eBay seller just issued me a refund. Out of stock. Dangit!

I'm 0 for 2.

Malina likes this.
  13. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

The first time I heard "Black Smoke Rising" I was sure it was Witchcraft from Sweden. I really dug their 2012 album Legend.

14. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

There's a group of guys at work (mid-fifties) that I keep up to date with good, new classic rock & prog rock music. They let me (late forties) know about Greta Van Fleet. So they're doing something right.
    From the opening Plant-esque (pre-delay?) vocals, right down to the squeaky bass drum pedal (of Bonham's from "Since I've Been Loving You"), there's no mistaking the vibe the band is going for on "Highway Tune". But if ya add in the use of every Plant-like howl short of "Immigrant Song", the hi-hat eighths of "Whole Lotta Love" & "Dazed & Confused" on "Safari Song", and the "Battle of Evermore" mandolin and "No Quarter" organ mashup that is "Flower Power", it becomes too much (for me, at least). My 7th grade English teacher would have called it plagiarism.
    Is it ridiculous to give a band a hard time for borrowing from the band that arguably borrowed or stole more blues than any other rock band? Perhaps. But at least Led Zeppelin made it theirs.
    I guess the bottom line is, would anyone be talking about Greta Van Fleet, let alone know who they were, if they didn't sound just like Zeppelin? I personally don't think so. But there is talent there, and god knows we need some good rock music these days, so I wish 'em nothing but the best.
    So, boys, you've gotten out attention. What are ya gonna do with it?
    On a side note, Jimmy Page should pay the band $1 million dollars to take 6 months off to write songs while he borrows (lead singer) Josh to tour with him, John Paul Jones, & Dave Grohl as Led Zeppelin on the highest grossing tour in the history of the world...

15. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

In fact, forget Jimmy. Jake could play the guitar.

Tree of Life likes this.
  16. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

seriously? it is a massive Zep rip...pass.

17. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

You say it like it's a bad thing.

Tree of Life likes this.
  18. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

My brother saw them in Charlotte last night. He blew up my phone this morning texting about the show. I love the youtube stuff. Hope I can catch them live soon.

artfromtex likes this.
  19. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

Zeppelin sound-alikes or not, they'll make it because they're good looking. And these days, that matters a lot.

Daryl M likes this.
  20. aroney

If these guys can bring in the young girls and show them that there's more than just pop music out there, then that's an added bonus. :D

The world needs more rock fans - a lot more.

Tree of Life likes this.
  21. aroney

22. Aardvark23

Aardvark23 Forum Resident

Saw these guys in Charlotte last night. They were very, very good. Hope they keep the Zep influence in the background going forward - they certainly could be huge if they play their cards right!

23. artfromtex

He seems the smartest of the bunch, musically speaking.

24. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

HD Tracks has the Black Smoke Rising EP available for download (24/44.1 resolution).

artfromtex likes this.
  25. artfromtex

Thanks for the heads up.:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.