Greta van Fleet for fans

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paulwalrus, Aug 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thread for news and talk about GvF. Since, in response to complaints about the negativity in the other thread, it was correctly pointed out that the title seemed to allow for it (Greta van Fleet, anyone?), this one is for people who like the band to begin with :)

2. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

If the thread is for people who like the band to begin with, then I will be right at home here. I think the songs are catchy as hell. I dont care about the Zep comparisons altho I can totally see where they come from. They might matter to me a lot more if I didnt like the songs so much. Ive heard Zep tributes/rip-offs before, GvF are hardly the first band to have been accused of sounding like Led Zeppelin. The difference, for me, is that almost none of those previous ones have snagged my attention the way these kids did, and that was entirely down to the fact that I wanted to hear the songs over and over. The CD with both EP's on it has been in constant rotation since it first came to my attention. When I was told about them I thought Id check it out, but fully suspected it would be a one listen and done kind of deal. But, obviously not, as here I am in a fan thread, waiting for the new album and hoping they tour here soon! :)

3. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I like Led Zeppelin (though I don't care for the last couple of albums). And I like what sounds like new songs from Led Zeppelin, even though it's Greta Van Fleet. I don't see the issue with that.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  4. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

I first learned of them because someone on twitter comparing the vocalist to Janis & Plant, so I decided to check them out and I was really surprised, I ended liking them. I must admit that their last single isn’t as good as Highway Tune though. HT is probably their best song so far!

Plus...their lead guitarist & drummer...:love:

toilet_doctor likes this.
  5. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Thanks for starting this thread. I got sick of seeing the same 3 people clogging up the last thread with juvenile insults.

I'll now "watch" this thread and ignore the other one.

6. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Thanks to the OP for creating this thread; the last one was getting rather nasty. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but there comes a point where it goes from opinion to true threadcrapping.

Let's get the album hype train rolling!

7. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Here's a track that VF should cover... I'd say it would be right in their wheelhouse:

ModernDayWarrior and Sean like this.
  8. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

I’ve stated this in other threads but I’ve met fans who want a Piece of My Heart cover by GVF. Some girls brought up the idea and now I’m obsessed with it. Josh has said he is influenced by Janis and you can see it, his vocal style is reminiscent of hers! That song definitely fits GVF.

musicfan37 likes this.
  9. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I thought the Adele cover was really good. I actually like it better than the original.

Meet on the Ledge is good too.

I was on the bus early on with these guys, and played their first EP for friends and family. They all got on the bus too. ;)

10. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

We've got the album announcement!
    [​IMG]

Greta Van Fleet, ‘Anthem of the Peaceful Army’ Track Listing
    “Age of Man”
    “The Cold Wind”
    “When the Curtain Falls”
    “Watching Over”
    “Lover, Leaver (Taker, Believer)”
    “You’re the One”
    “The New Day”
    “Mountain of the Sun”
    “Brave New World”
    “Anthem”

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  11. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Is that their upcoming album?

Edit: So it is. I just checked. Nice album cover.

Fullbug likes this.
  12. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Sondek likes this.
  13. artfromtex

Cool album cover. That's gotta be a gatefold LP, right?

14. artfromtex

October 19th? I see people posting that on the Twitters, but haven't seen that officially announced.

15. Bluesthinker

Bluesthinker Well-Known Member

I like the cover too...I'll give it a listen upon release!

16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Are you referring to Janis Joplin or the original by Erma Franklin?

17. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I have really enjoyed this band. I like Led Zep but they were nowhere near my favourite band but I have never heard such an authentic homage to a band. That song "When The Curtain Falls" is infectious. It's not just the voice, the guitar is spot on Jimmy Page and the drums definitely echo John Bonham. I am sure there are complaints about them being derivative but the joy in their music just wins the day for me. I love that they are from the great state of Michigan. Has any state produced such a colossal amount of great music? Their cover of "Rolling In The Deep" on Spotify is wonderful in my view.

18. Apache Chief

Apache Chief Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Apparently LLTB is on the album twice

Unless Lover, Leaver is a different song of course

19. artfromtex

Three minute difference in track lengths. I wonder if it's a reprise with an extended jam?

Paulwalrus likes this.
  20. Apache Chief

Apache Chief Forum Resident

New single from the upcoming album

bru87tr, djost, Old Rusty and 5 others like this.
  21. artfromtex

That is fantastic. Bring on the album!!!

Paulwalrus likes this.
  22. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Cant wait for the new album! Really looking forward to it. Hopefully they will get out and tour internationally behind it and if they come here I am so there! :)

Jimmy Agates and Paulwalrus like this.
  23. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Pre-ordered. I doubt the vinyl would sound any different from the CD, but I like the cover so I pre-ordered it on vinyl regardless.

Paulwalrus and artfromtex like this.
  24. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident Thread Starter

:goodie:Album announced and new single out! Great news :)

Hope they tour over here as well.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  25. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I really do not understand negativity from several posters in another threads. It is so wonderful that young guys appreciate old style rock, and playing so well in such young age. Yes, they ar very LZ like, so what? How many musicians in 18 create their own sound? Everyone need to stay on a shoulders of giants )) at least for a while.
    I preorder LP , and rooting for them to succeed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.