Greta Van Fleet - When the Curtain Falls single

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by STGATX, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Sorry but this band and the hype surrounding them gets under my skin a bit. I think they're terrible.

Demitri, DHamilton, vudicus and 3 others like this.
  2. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

In those earlier singles (not this one) it is an accurate imitation of an aspect of Plant's vocals. He's doing a good impersonation of Plant at his peak yelling, but he's missing all of the nuances that made Plant such a great vocalist. The GVF singer/Plant comparisons are missing what Plant brought to the table as a singer.

In this single, I'm not sure what he's doing, but after hearing it I get why he went with his best Plant before.

As far as the original question goes, that spot in the song in question sounds a bit like "In The Evening".

Demitri, Man at C&A and Mugrug12 like this.
  3. I am an old-timer, I like this group and the lead singer so far although this song is my least favorite of the few I have heard. The group is certainly not innovative, but that is OK with me. As far as the kid damaging his voice, that may be but Brian Johnson and other rock singers were able to scream for decades so he could be OK.

4. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

5. Avenging_Angel88

Avenging_Angel88 Member

It sounds for like an AC/DC song "Big Gun" and "Have A Drink on Me"

6. Avenging_Angel88

Avenging_Angel88 Member

It sounds like AC/DC ripp: "Big Gun" and "Have A Drink on Me"

7. Avenging_Angel88

Avenging_Angel88 Member

I clearly hear Gonzo the muppet in this song. Sorry Gonzo. Don't mean to insult but these guys are terrible especially the singer.

yarbles and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  8. Avenging_Angel88

Avenging_Angel88 Member

So inspired that I'm thinking about starting my own cover band of this cover band and call it Cover Van Band.

DHamilton and yarbles like this.
  9. Avenging_Angel88

Avenging_Angel88 Member

These chicks fool no one:

10. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Somewhere in between Dave King and Blackie Lawless trying to copy old Plant.......My Zeppelin fanhood dates back to 76 or 77 and I gotta admit, I dug the track.

MikeInFla likes this.
  11. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I hear the lick the OP is describing and to me it sounds like a riff in the chorus for In The Light.

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  12. Avenging_Angel88

Avenging_Angel88 Member

The intro sounds close

13. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident Thread Starter

THANK YOU! - it was seriously killing me to not be able to find that.

TimeandTempo likes this.
  14. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's funny, I'd still like to see GVF live. I'm curious if the singer's voice translates to a live setting and the band doesn't seem incompetent. I've seen/heard worse bands.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This is the only place I've heard of them. They're either easy to avoid or don't have much of a profile in the UK.

16. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I have friends all over Europe who have heard of them,. mostly via YouTube searches.

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm surprised, perhaps I'm finally losing touch! :)

18. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

No, you're not. My son's 19, into M*dern Music :yikes:, kinda likes Zep, but had never heard of them either. We are both big Bowie fans though, so after I endured the pure torture of their execrable cover of The Jean Genie, I pointed him to it, and retired with caution.

He agrees that they are an absolute joke.

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Greta Van Pants

20. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Your son is a very smart kid...

yarbles and Man at C&A like this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

What I've heard from them sounds horrible and the 'young band' thing doesn't hold up for me either. The Who, Small Faces, Free, The Beatles, Sex Pistols, Arctic Monkeys and many others were all very young when they released their debuts. Of course all had their influences, but all had their own ideas too as well as an original take on their influences.

I can't hear anything in Greta Van Fleet that is uniquely them. The band can certainly play, but they just come across as a pale imitation of a handful of 70s rock bands. As it's not the 70s anymore they look and sound too self consciously retro and pretty naff.

22. FFF

FFF Forum Resident

I can attest to the fact that their music does play very well LIVE. I saw them at an outdoor setting and the vocals did not overpower the instruments. In fact, the lead guitarist held his own as did the drummer. The bassist/keyboardist was the 'weakest' of the foursome. They are very polished and tight for a young group. I can tell you that the lead singer has a 'presence' on the stage. The comparisons to Janis Joplin and Robert Plant are accurate and not just because of his voice. I had never heard of them before but because they opened for The Foo Fighters and I was there early I saw their whole set. They played for an hour ....here is their setlist

Greta Van Fleet Setlist at RBC Royal Bank Bluesfest 2018

Paulwalrus, djost and STGATX like this.
  23. I made it through 30 seconds of that. What do I win?

24. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Whilst I agree that they can play, the Zeppelin comparison that always comes up doesn't go past them trying to sound like Zep and "borrowing" ideas from them.
    Musically they are nowhere near in the same league as Led Zeppelin. These guys are very average in comparison.
    Zep was a monster with 4 incredibly talented and unique players that came together and made magic.
    I don't see/hear anything of that with this band.

Bonham was one of the greatest rock drummers of all time. A total powerhouse and truly one of a kind.
    The Greta guy sounds like a basic solid drummer, but nothing more.
    Page maybe inconsistent over the years, but he's a million miles ahead of this kid, even on a bad day.
    The bass player seems pretty good, but Jones was still in a different league, especially considering what he could do on the keys too.
    As for the singer, it's one step away from Karaoke in my opinion.

To me they even look like a band who are told what to wear, how to stand, how to move.
    I don't know their history so maybe manufactured is the wrong term, but there seems to be a lot of influence, other than musical which reeks of falseness.
    It seems choreographed and directed, like a "band" you'd see in a hollywood movie.
    If people like them then great, but I think they're a joke. If there was a show called Rock Idol (please tell me there isn't!!!), these guys would've been on it for sure.

Phoo-ee!

25. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Artificial Plants

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.