Groove Tubes kt-66HP's

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bill Hausmann, Aug 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Hausmann

Bill Hausmann Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a couple Fisher 80-AZ's. They were built around the EL-37 (mullard) that you can't find for under several hundered for a quad. I have Svenlana 6l6GC's in there now that sound pretty good and don't put really any load on the filiment winding. My question is.. How good are the GT KT-66HP's? Does anyone know how much filament current the GT's use? I notices that there are different grades of them as well (hardness). These would be a drop-in replacement for the EL-37/ 6L6 so less work for me. What about the shuguang KT-66's? ;)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I didn't even know Groove Tubes made a KT-66!

3. Bill Hausmann

Hey Steve, here's the link to them. Supposed to be the "Cats Ass" for Fenders. I heard through the grapevine that, they sound pretty good in vintage stereo amps. Just looking for opinions before I lay out some cash.

http://groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1692

4. Steve Hoffman

Dunno, Bill. 60 bucks each? Hmmm.

I've never been a fan of the tube for audio, but most people love 'em to death. I've never liked the EL-37 either (as a substitution for a 6L6GC). But, if your amp originally came with EL-37's, this might work out..

Sorry to be so vague about it but I've not heard your Fishers...

5. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

Actually, They are $100 for a Quad at some music places online. A lot of posts over at Audio Asylum seem to really like them.

6. Steve Hoffman

Every KT-66 I've ever heard adds a bunch of top end and bottom to the sound. Now, this is like pushing the "loudness" button on your receiver; a sound I CAN'T STAND. However, people like it and sometimes in some circuits it can work for you.

7. Bill Hausmann

AHHHHHHHH..... I See. This looks bad (unless you like a lot of 80's music)! I was just tweeking around. I think I'll let Dean Beta-Test these!!!! :D

8. Bill Hausmann

BTW....Steve, It seems that you tube of choice is the 6l6. Please indulge me with what flavor you prefer! I'm just looking for the best possible sound. Dean compares the sound of the fishers very "Close" to his Mac 240. I would like to think I made out like a bandit getting the "MAC" sound for the price of a fisher!!:thumbsup:

9. Steve Hoffman

There is only one for me: Simple GE 6L6GC's. Even Groove Tubes made one back in the 1990's. It's marked "Made In USA" but it's a GE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.