Groovetracer ROCKS!!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by timztunz, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timztunz

timztunz Audioista Thread Starter

This is an unsolicited fanboy shoutout for an awesome company. Frank at Groovetracer really, really has his poop in a group. I recently purchased a Rega RP6 for a second system and upon the recommendation of a friend, decided to treat it to Groovetracer's bevy of tweaks. From reasonable prices to crystal clear communication to impeccable build quality to the best packaging I've ever had, a real class act. It was a breath of fresh air in a world where the new norm for customer service seems to be high cost and treat you like crap. I highly recommend them if you have a need for anything they do.

2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I remember when I dropped my groovetracer into my P5 after having it for a few months. About halfway into the first song (on the CS&N couch album) my GF, who was downstairs, yells up "hey, did you just do something to the stereo?"

3. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson Active Member

They have always looked like awesome product, for some reason they don't seem to make anything compatible with my P7 though. :(

Long Live Analog likes this.
  4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Wow the original platters have got to be POS then !

black sheriff likes this.
  5. Raunchnroll

Not at all. Grovetracer platters are made of completely different material - which changes the sound. Which is what some customers are looking for in tweaks.

Greg Carrier likes this.
  6. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Love my Groovetracer subplatter and acrylic platter.

7. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

No there not "POS". They are designed to meet a price point That's all.

The Groove tracer product is outstanding and I'm getting one for my RP3.

Dr Jackson and Long Live Analog like this.
  8. I'm not a huge Rega fan, but you have to give credit where credit is due. Congrats on a wonderful experience with Groovetracer!

9. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I wonder what the idea with the plastic/metal sub on the original RP6 is about. I cannot in any way see why it is more than a visual upgrade. The all metal, so be it Tangospinner or GT is another thing though.

The Pinhead likes this.
  10. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

A $300 price point? Sure. But to include the plastic deformed often off-kilter sub-platter in anything above the RP1 is criminal. The Groovetracer is essential, IMHO.

There's plenty of crap product out there designed to "meet a price point". The Rega subplatter being amongst them.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  11. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

The Groovetracer products took my P25 to a whole new level, I highly recommend them...

Sailfree and Campbell Saddler like this.
  12. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

+1

Frank is a prince and his products are top shelf.

13. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

There is a lot said about the sub everywhere. But what about his counterweight? Not as major upgrade as the sub I suppose?

14. Raunchnroll

Not as noticeable but still an improvement.

15. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

+1...and recommended

ReVision88 likes this.
  16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

these are simple parts. if the table manufacturer cannot get the sound to such an improved magnitude out of the box for the amount they charge then what is the problem?

mpayan and riverrat like this.
  17. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

It's not a matter of getting it right. It's a matter of getting it right enough for the price. Compared to the groove tracer stuff.... it isn't effective to use a $200 bearing in a $600 table - that's probably about what Rega retails the entire table for.

Perfection in engineering is *easy*. Doing it for a price people will pay is much much harder.

18. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Undestood. It's just that I look at the individual parts on a Rega RP6 for example, and they appear cheap for the amount you pay for the table (except for the tonearm), especially given the high volume production. They strive to optimize profit.
    How does a manufacturer like VPI do it?

19. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

VPI's "entry" level model costs $1500 (Scout Jr).

Rega only has two tables more expensive than that.

It's like saying Rolls Royce has no trouble making awesome cars, why aren't Volkswagens that nice?

Dr Jackson, SandAndGlass and spindly like this.
  20. russk

russk Forum Resident

Hmmmm. Yep, spot on. Its crazy to me that they use such crap for such an important part on an otherwise gorgeous table. Can't wait to try a GT sub on my table

21. REV76

REV76 New Member

I recently swapped out my GT Acrylic Platter and JA Michell Counterweight for the GT Delrin Platter and Counterweight. The counterweight was for aesthetics (most of the TT is dark grey and black), but man the Delrin platter changed everything! The acrylic sound was dry with a big soundstage, but the delrin is warm and in-your-face.

22. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

A VW turntable would have a good subplatter.

VPI's entry is the Nomad. $995.

23. Just pulled the trigger and ordered for my RP6.

Groovy!

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

You won't regret it . That's $300 well spent,

Long Live Analog and Sailfree like this.
  25. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Pics or it didn't happen! :)

It's crap that it's so expensive getting GT parts to Europe. With freight customs and VAT I would have to pay nearly 250USD just for the Counterweight :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.