Groovetracer subplatter and P3-24 a Home Run!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TONEPUB, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I have similar thoughts that make me pause with things like a subplatter upgrade at this point. I have a pre-P3 Planar 3, and I've already added an acrylic platter, the motor upgrade, and a tweaked-to-the-nines RB250 tonearm. I hesitate to put more money into this particular 'table because I think I'd rather put that money at this point toward a whole new one. And I may be doing just that some time next year ...

2. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Hi V-A:

You've been keeping up on this thread so you know that I've modified my Rega deck with the Groovtracer subplatter. I've been curious as to the benefits of Rega's motor upgrade. You queried Scotto on this, so may I assume you've made this upgrade to your P3, and are familiar with the sonic improvements? My deck does not have the mileage that Scotto's has being that I purchased in '99, and I have every intention of keeping it indefinitely, so I'm willing to put a few bucks in it as time rolls on. If my assumptions are correct would you say the upgrade is worth the investment? Thanks for your input.

Steve

3. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I look at this as a sure bet, since you can these upgrades on most any Rega. Very cool. The mention of the Apheta cartridge has also got my interest, since we already have a heads up on that one, as well.

4. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

P3- my thoughts

I have a three year old Rega P3 with a Super Elys cartridge. It is part of an all Rega kit. I just updated (tweaked?) my table by adding a clear Rega dust cover with a P3 badge. I have to say I did it more for looks, and at $140- ouch!

The Groovetracer subplatter and a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge are the only other items I would consider for this table. Remember, a tweaked out Honda Civic is still a Civic. At some point (you decide) it's more cost effective to get an Accord.

5. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Times like these I wished I still owned a Rega.

6. StephenGR12

StephenGR12 Forum Resident

Uh, when did that happen? (Am I reading your avatar correctly? My eyes hurt)

7. vinyl anachronist

I haven't owned a Rega since 2003, when I bought my Michell Orbe SE, unless you count the Rega P2 my ex-wife uses. My avatar is a Wilson Benesch with a Breuer arm.

8. StephenGR12

I was more referring to "Technics SL1200 owner." Guess I haven't been paying attention as much as I thought.

9. vinyl anachronist

That's my second 'table. ;)

10. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I have Frank's mods on my P3 and I love them. I had an after market subplatter from another manufacturer and it was a poorly made IMO. It didn't fit the platter very well at all. Frank's stuff fits like the proverbial glove.

The best thing about Frank's mods though is Frank. I spent a lot of time on the phone and on line with the guy and he's a gentleman and very knowledgeable.

I have said this here many times and I think it's worth repeating:
    I think that a lot of people are afraid of getting into or back into vinyl because they fear it's too technical for them. That is certainly the case for me.

We all know that CD's are not perfect sound forever as was once claimed. Still I think that the appeal for CD's is at least partly because you have to do little more than just push play. I say this as I am listening to a CD. I love my CD's

I love my records too though. Still-I have never installed a cart. I have Fremer's DVD and I remain hesitant to get my fingers too dirty on a TT.

Frank was able to walk me thru the install for the platters and counterbalance from three thousand miles away and he was very patient. I am far from the tweekiest guy on the Forum. Many would have a number of problems with the layout of my listening room. Still I think that Frank's mods and the time we spent working with them helped me enjoy records immeasurably and I can never thank him enough.

Peace-
    Norm
    t5

11. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

So very true. I had concerns about the compatibility between my tonearm height and his subplatter. Both of us acknowledged the limitations of the RB250 concerning VTA. The fact that Frank shipped me his 12mm glass platter in exchange for my word that I'd ship my 10mm platter in return, and that he absorbed the cost of shipping it to me indicates more to me about the man other than the fact that he's a first rate machinist. Here's a guy who truly has a passion for music reproduction, and passes this on to his customers.

12. TomSV651

TomSV651 New Member

Just got some of the Groovetracer products...

I just got the sub-platter and counter weight for my rega p-5. The difference is NOT small and really adds to the music. I was so impressed that I ordered the platter as well.

Don't believe the nay sayers who haven't even tried these products, they are well worth the money! :righton:

13. StephenGR12

I'm a GT fan, but did you really have to start a new thread?

14. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Welcome to the forum Tom. :wave:

15. Vinyl-Addict

Where's the old one? :confused:

16. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Can you describe the differences?

17. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

Please post your system- "rah, rah" isn't enough. Personally, I do a lot of homework before I'll buy any piece of audio equipment. I can be anal about it. Posted testimonials on an internet forum only go so far. Especially, if the posts are during a brief "hyped" period, when the posters claim dramatic sonic benefits from using a product.

Groovetracer products look great. They also appear to be very well engineered. However, are there any recognized audio publications other then Tone-Audio that gives these products great reviews? In checking websites of both Tone-Audio and Groovetracer, they both have links to each other, and often post in tandem. For the record, Both Jeff (Tone-Audio) and Frank (Groovetracer) have admirable businesses.

I have to admit to having an interest in the subplatter. . However, I am not yet convinced whether it would be a worthwhile upgrade for the cost. Personally the counter weight and acrylic platter don't interest me, because I don't want to mess with that great "Rega" sound.

To give myself cover, these are just my opinions.

18. Vinyl-Addict

It would appear that Tom (the threadstarter) has been lurking here for some time before posting, judging from the content of his post.

19. Vinyl-Addict

I can answer that easily, No. I haven't been approached by any of the high profile mags. like Stereophile or TAS, nor have I solicitated anyone to review other than Jeff at Tone-Audio when he mentioned he was going to be reviewing products relating to the Rega turntable but that's it.

I'm really not a "salesman" so if someone approaches me in the future that would be nice, however it's not something I'm counting on since I have chosen to have no dealers selling the products. I remember reading a column from Michael Fremer who said they don't review products unless the product is in "X" amount of dealers. I could have misunderstood but I think that's the case.

20. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

If I still listened to my P5 regularly, I would own the subplatter already. No brainer.

I still may get the counterweight. Vinyl-Addict, does it work on the RB700? I know I've asked this before but I cannot remember.

21. Vinyl-Addict

No problem putting it on the RB-700 or RB-1000. This is a link to a swedish newsgroup from a couple of years ago. This particular person put one on an RB-1000. Believe it or not a female Swedish audiophile bought one for her P9. There are still a few female audiophiles out there. ;)

http://translate.google.com/transla...ev=/search?q=groovetracer&start=90&hl=en&sa=N

22. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Good to see you around Frank. Dale here from St. Louis

For my part, I took the leap of faith with Frank. I purchased both the subplatter and the acrylic platter. My decision was based on what I had read here and with my personal conversation with Frank.

I was fairly happy with the original sound of my Rega but sensed that there could be more. I wasn't sure whether that would have entailed getting a new TT or not.

With two kids in college, I decided that the TT I viewed as an upgrade was out of reach at this time.

The combination has made a significant difference in the sound of my deck. The speed is more accurate. The soundstage is wider and more defined. The bass response is out of this world.

The added benefit is getting to talk equipment and music with Frank. He is a real gem in this crazy industry.

I may not be a writer for a trade magazine, but I feel the opinions of everday users if more important.

23. Vinyl-Addict

Hi Dale, I remember our conversations very well. :wave:

I tend to agree because reviewers are scrutinized all too often for giving glowing reviews. It's a no win situation for them.

24. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

I'm not sure how any review can give you the experience of in-house trial. If you that curious about the differences then give musicdirect a call and try them out. If you don't find them to be a big enough difference, then you can send em back for a full refund. I don't think this has to be a philosophical inquiry or journey for testimonials. I have played with all the different Rega toys and they are quite dramatic. As a matter of fact, I would be very surprised to hear from someone who didn't marvel at the differences. The counterweight alone makes a dramatic improvement.

25. Macezeke

Macezeke Forum Resident

Like Tom, I also just got the Groovetracer Acrylic Platter and Deluxe Sub-platter with the Sapphire option. With the GT platters installed on my Rega P25, the music has gained a refined authority. The entire musical spectrum has gained a significant amount of resolution, enabling complex passages to be a lot less congested and providing a much better sense of spatial ques.

Now, to put this in some context, my Rega is set up in my spare bedroom that's now more of an audio lab/ music den, roughly 12X14. I have a pair of Sonus Faber Concerto Home monitors strapped to a Response Audio Bella Extreme 3205 Signature amp, fronted by an AES AE-3 mk2 Preamp, fed by an EE Minimax CDP, and an Anthem Pre-1P phono stage. The P25 is outfitted with an Expressimo Heavyweight and a Dynavector 10X5 in addition the the GT platters. Cabling is TG Audio HSR throughout with the exception of the speaker cablles which are Luminous Audio Synchestra Signatures.

This is supposed to be my secondary system! You know, just something to play some tunes with while I'm working in the home office. Kind of got a little out of hand over the years.:winkgrin:

In any case, getting Frank's platters is about on par with upgrading your cartridge. And then some.

Keep up the great work, Frank!:edthumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.