Groovetracer subplatters

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Greg Carrier, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I got the www.tangospinner.com sub for my RP6. It's no masterpiece in terms of finish IMHO but it works and performs better than the original. However I would prefer the GT if I could afford it since it seems like a different animal..

2. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Of course, because they'd rather you move well up the line to achieve the benefits of the Groovetracer.

dianos likes this.
  3. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

Wow, thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of any Rega subplatter upgrades besides the ones Groovetracer makes. The Tangospinner ones are half the price. Has anyone tried both brands?

4. I will go with a grovetetracer soon for my rp6

5. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Mazzy, you'll love it what it does to a already great deck. Keep us updated.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  6. Liquid Len

Liquid Len Forum Resident

I can personally vouch for the Tangospinner 'Astor' sub. It brought significant improvements to the performance and sound of my already partially modded Rega Planar 3. Can't say whether, if or how these would differ from fitting a Groovetracer, but for me, cost was also a factor. I can say though that you won't get better customer service anywhere than you do when buying a Tangospinner from Gus!

Sailfree likes this.
  7. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

Thanks, that's good to know! I've been deliberating over a Groovetracer but the cost seems quite high. All I really want is more speed stability, so if the Tangospinner ones are machined to a reasonably tight tolerance I'm sure they would do just fine.

8. Liquid Len

No problem; the Tangospinner sub has tightened up the sound considerably with no signs of pitch instability whatsoever. My Rega Planar 3 is running better than it ever has almost 30 years down the line. The sub comes with full instructions, bearing oil and a replacement butyl belt.

jordanb87 likes this.
  9. Whistlerskibum

Whistlerskibum Forum Resident

another big thumbs up for the Groovetracer subplatter upgrade for my P3-24, highly recommended

Long Live Analog likes this.
  10. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Just installed the Groovetracer subplatter for my P25.More grip is the word that comes to mind for me.Worthy upgrade.

11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Gus ?!:confused:

12. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

13. Liquid Len

Gustavo is a great guy. His customer service is second to none and he will sort out any problems and/or answer queries promptly & reliably - buy with confidence!

Sailfree and CCrider92 like this.
  14. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Argentinian upgrades. Sounds like an oxymoron, but hey, glad someone here does something right.

15. russk

russk Forum Resident

I'm hoping that it cleans up the last little bit of wobble from my turntable. Anyone have any experience with groovetracer fixing wobble issues?

16. I have both the Canaro model Tangospinner from Gus and the Reference model Groovetracer subplatter. I can highly recommend both as they are both excellent products. Both far exceed the quality of the original plastic subplatter that came stock on my P25. I have not performed an official, controlled, A/B comparison between the two, but have used them both at different times. Also, I use the PEEK bearing well in place of the (bronze?) Rega bearing well. The PEEK upgrade was installed at the same time as the subplatter upgrade. (so I never used these subplatters with the stock rega bearing well) As many of the original Rega parts have been replaced on my P25, my comparison may not be applicable or helpful to other Rega owners since much more has been replaced than just my subplatter. My P25 is more of a FrankenRega than a original P25! :yikes:

OK, that being said, here is how I would compare the two. The fit and finish is superb on both, however the machine work on the GT is aerospace quality! They are both really beautiful, especially compared to the plastic Rega unit. Both subplatters will improve the sound of your Rega deck. I like the Delrin contact pads on the GT. The most important difference to me is the sapphire thrust plate on the bottom of the GT shaft that rides on the Zirconia ball. The sapphire/zirconia interface provides extremely low friction and lowers the sound floor significantly to my ears. (again, remember that I have the PEEK bearing well--your results may differ) The Tangospinner is no slouch, but the edge goes to the GT Reference primarily for this reason. This difference may be a non factor in a "less revealing" system. On the other hand, the Tangospinner is less expensive and you will not find a nicer person to deal with than Gus. I also got (with the Canaro kit) a dual pulley and silicon belts which I love.

So, in my humble opinion and to summarize, the GT is the performance winner if cost is not a factor. The Tangospinner is a close second, and probably the better bang for the buck. Either one is a very worthwhile improvement over the stock subplatter. Again, I can highly recommend them both!

Lonson and johnnypaddock like this.
  17. liptrot

liptrot Forum Resident

Finally broke down and bought the GT Reference subplatter for my p3-24. Thinking of upgrading my cartridge to Dynavector 10x5 this week as well.

18. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Just installed the Groovetracer reference subplatter on my RP1 - looks and sounds great.

19. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Congrats on your purchase, with each GT product the performance increases...

timztunz likes this.

20. Read the instructions for my P3 and was amazed to read Rega suggests no cleaning of the LP, that the sylus will pick up any unwanted dust. HUH???

21. My take on that is this was standard copy from the original manuals back in the 80's. I think they refer mostly to the assumption that people are listening to new records. Although I've used RCM's since the 90's(currently on my 3rd vacuum type cleaner), I see why some might be happy to just play and enjoy the record.

22. To the OP, I have upgraded my Rega P5 with TTPSU, Rega wall shelf, Groovetracer subplatter, tonearm spacers, dual pulley and belt upgrades, not to mention numerous cartridge upgrades. The GT subplatter is money well spent and sits at the top of my personal "worthy upgrades."

23. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

And the dust can be "easily blown away". They say just play the record. I must admit cleaning records is something not everyone does and when I do it I sometimes think it's "too much like work" as we like to say here in DC.

24. beep

beep Senior Member

25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have an RP3 that for some time has had a TTPSU added and an Exact2 cartridge. This week I added the Groovetracer sub-platter which is an amazing upgrade. And on top of that, beautiful. I immediately ordered a black Delrin platter from Groovetracer which arrived this morning (Sunday delivery!) and has added a subtle improvement. The one downside: I can't see the beautiful sub-platter with the new platter, but the platter really makes the turntable look great in its own right.

Now I know I'll eventually get the counter-weight. . . and I have to consider whether the record clamp will be a benefit. Groovetracer is a real boon to Rega owners!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.