Groucho Marx: Shout Factory plans second "You Bet Your Life" DVD box

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by reechie, Mar 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

Looks like sales were good enough to warrant Volume 2...thanks, guys! :righton:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1265

You Bet Your Life - Set 2 is planned
    Posted by Gord Lacey
    3/17/2004

TVShowsOnDVD.com reader Richard Wierzbowski recently wrote us to let us know Shout! Factory's plans for their next "You Bet Your Life" box set slated for release on July 27th, 2004. The first set was titled "The Lost Episodes," and this one is "The Best Episodes." They are trying to get masters for the following 18 episodes:

Debut of secret word duck 12/7/50
    Boots Bootsin 4/7/55
    Edouard Counard perfume executive 11/10/55
    Ray Bradbury 5/24/56
    Fanatic female Fenneman fan 4/25/57
    Francis X. Bushman 2/6/58
    Kuldip Rae Singh, John Guedel (show producer) 9/27/56
    Kuldip Rae Singh returns 11/15/56
    Organ Grinder with Groucho monkey 11/6/58
    Max Schulman 1/8/60
    Guedel, Dwan, Meakin 05/21/59
    Miss Finland 9/25/58
    Rocky Marciano 5/5/60
    Rocky Marciano 5/12/60
    Daws Butler 5/26/60
    Bobby Van, Melinda Marx 5/25/61
    Fashion model 4/27/61
    Frankie Avalon, Harry Ruby 6/8/61

They're hoping to include an episode of the British version of the show, more "stag" reels along with some other bonus features. Sounds like a great set for fans of the show.

2. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

I was in the Museum of Television & Radio in NY last week and my 13 yo daughter & I watched a hilarious episode of the Jack Benny show where he put on a disguise and went on YBYL with Groucho from their archives. I need to get the sets to watch with her.

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Aww... this is great news! :goodie: :goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie:

Shout Facxtory is amazing. Just got my Freaks and Geeks DVD "Yearbook" today.

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Where's the Tor Johnson episode?

5. reechie

There are some clips from that episode on The Unknown Marx Brothers DVD, which from the looks of things is still in print:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_1/103-1284361-2751808?v=glance&s=dvd

"I can 'tell-a-phoney'" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

6. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

I hope they leave the commercials IN the episodes this time, instead of making them part of the "special features."

7. reechie

I spent Sunday, as usual for Memorial Day weekend, with a bunch of the people who know The Marx Brothers the best, including Robert S. Bader, who is the producer of Shout Factory's You Bet Your Life DVD box sets, among a whole slew of Marx related products over the last decade. His Groucho Marx and Other Short Stories and Tall Tales is one of the truly essential Groucho books, and he's truly devoted to what he does with the Marx franchise. It's always interesting to talk to him, and as always, he had plenty of interesting information.

He confirmed to me what I posted here awhile back, the second You Bet Your Life box set is coming up on July 27th. Rob thinks if you liked the first box, you'll like this one even better. Where the first box concentrated on "The Lost Episodes" that hadn't been seen since their original broadcasts, the second box focuses on "The Best Episodes". These are the ones requested most by fans, and Groucho's favorite episodes. How do they know they were Groucho's favorites? Because these are the episodes that Groucho asked for film copies of for his home library.

Rob had just gotten his check discs in from Shout Factory, so I was able to get a preview of the set, which looks just great. Plenty of extras, more "stag" reels of outtakes, which can be branched into the actual programs if you like, and pilots of the follow up shows to YBYL. The highlight of what I saw of the extras was a completely unknown and unseen 1963 pilot film for an odd and completely bizarre panel game show for Screen Gems called The Plot Thickens. Groucho and a panel of semi-celebrities watch a ten minute whodunit" film concerning the murder of a phoney psychic. After the film, Groucho and the panel interview the actors from the film, in character, and try to guess who the murderer was. Totally unique, and something that pretty much has never even been known about, let alone seen before. It also breaks one of the myths about Groucho's post-YBYL career: That he basically retired and took it easy after 1961. In fact, he was trying like crazy to get another TV show.

Rob also had some interesting information regarding the last YBYL set. It sold! In fact, it sold BIG TIME! Sold far and away much more than anyone in the industry expected, and much more than needed to justify the second set, and now even a third set is in the planning stages. Here's the interesting part: The enormous sales of the Shout Factory set were the catalyst for Warner Brothers to release their box set of the Marx films that they own. That's right, WB had no plans or interest in releasing those Marx Brothers films. Suddenly, they saw the success Shout Factory had with the Groucho set, and decided that maybe someone might be interested in A Night At The Opera, and all those Marx films that they own. So if you bought the original YBYL set, pat yourself on the back, and I thank you for convincing the powers that be to put out those DVD's last month.

Now the question that always gets asked when talking about Marx DVD's: What about the Paramount films? Well, I can tell you that they're definitely coming this fall. They're being worked on now. In a unique marketing move, Time-Life has bought exclusive rights to sell the films, around October or so, for 90 days before they hit the stores. Now of course, Time-Life will be selling them for premium prices, but there's also talk of including some sort of exclusive bonus disc of some sort, though this isn't set at this point. After that 90 day period, the films will start showing up in stores as normal. There will be extras, and Rob is helping them out with those, but it's not set at this point exactly what material will be used, and how much Universal will want to bother putting on the DVD's. They are working on the films to make them look good, but unfortunately, still no uncut Horse Feathers has surfaced, and Coconuts is still from a cobbled together print with some dodgy segments. Still, these should be much better discs than the old Image movie-only DVD's from a few years ago.

So if you were happy with the Groucho set and the MGM films DVD's, you ain't seen 'nothing yet!
    :righton:

8. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

AWESOME! I'll definitely be picking up this disc in July - and can't wait for an upgraded version of my Paramount DVDs... I didn't realize my edition of "Horsefeathers" was edited!

JEFF!

9. reechie

Well, by edited, I'm of course referring to the horrible condition that the scene in Thelma Todd's bedroom is in. Apparently, the last time a pristine print of Horse Feathers was seen was at a film festival in the 70's, where Susan Marx (Harpo's wife) loaned the festival her personal print of the film. They promptly lost it. When it came time to put the film out on video, MCA held back the release for a year in an honest attempt to find a better print. They even took out ads, hoping to hear from private collectors, to no avail (and yes, I know there are those of us here who insist that they didn't look hard enough, but that's the story I get from those in the loop.)

There have always been stories of a 1930's print of Horse Feathers that included some extra Harpo scenes. Apparently, these cuts may have been made to satisfy the Hayes Office. An uncut print was supposedly sent over to England back in the 30's, but hasn't been seen since.

10. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Yeah, that's the one! :righton:

11. reechie

There was some talk of including the Jack Benny episode on one of the You Bet Your Life DVD sets, but it was decided that it was actually too good a piece of footage to just throw on something like that as an extra.

Rob Bader is now working on a forthcoming DVD series focused on great classic TV comedians, and instead plans to use the entire episode as a part of that project.
    :righton:

12. reechie

There are a couple of variables involved here.

Shout Factory have the rights to use the DeSoto commercials outright, because DeSoto doesn't exist anymore as an active business. On the original broadcasts of You Bet Your Life, the same couple of commercials would run during every show.

On the other hand, YBYL had several sponsors in later years that still exist as businesses and products to this day. For example, the Lever Brothers company still makes Pepsodent toothpaste, Toni home permanents, and Lifebouy soap. The producers of the DVD's are allowed to use these names and logos only in the context of the actual show, or if a commercial was filmed specifically to be run on YBYL. If a logo is keyed in on Groucho's desk, or George Fenneman announces "a word from Pepsodent", or for example, those "Creamy Prom" commercials with Harpo and Chico (which will be included on YBYL box 2), they can use those with no problem. Any commercials that Lever made that were run on any number of other shows and broadcasts can not be used, so they have to be cut out of the DVD.

Because they already had to cut out the commercials that they didn't have rights to anyway, the decision was made to also cut out the repeated DeSoto commercials as well, and present them as extras on the DVD.

On the bright side, cutting two minutes of commercials out of each program frees up a considerable amount of DVD time, which the producers have put to good use for extras on each disc. Taking this in to account, they've especially filled Box 2 to the gills with extras and special features. You may not agree with the decision, but personally, I'd rather have the extras than worry that the commercials aren't where they were for the original broadcasts.
    :)

13. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Great news about the Paramount films Rich. I'll be there for them.

I remember when channel 5 in New York would show You Bet Your Life weeknights at 11PM. I used to sneak downstairs and watch them when I could(with permission on friday nights). The best thing is that the game show aspect is secondary to just spending a half hour or so with Groucho.

Evan

14. reechie

You and me both, WNEW Channel 5 out of NYC was carried in Northeastern Pennsylvania on the cable system when I was a kid. It was the first place I'd ever seen You Bet Your Life. They also had the Marx Paramount films in their library, it was probably the first place I ever saw Duck Soup. I also recall the weekend after Groucho's passing in 1977, Channel 5 ran a marathon of most of the Paramount films.

15. reechie

Something I forgot to mention about The Plot Thickens, the 1963 pilot included in YBYL box 2, is that it was produced by the great B-movie horror mogul William Castle. If you're a fan of Castle's legendary work, this'll be a treat for you as well.

16. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

I don't think it would have been too much of a problem to get an OK to use the spots for products still being made, in the interest of historical reasons. The Ed Sullivan/Beatles DVDs are filled with commercials of products still being made (except for the cigarette spots, which were removed for PC). And the spots could be "branched" as the outtakes were in Vol. 1.

I will no doubt buy the 2nd volume of YBYL. It just irks me that the programs have to be "futzed" with.

17. reechie

They'd have had to pay extra for the use of the commercials, money that, in my view, was better spent restoring the meat of the programs, which is what they did.

What can I say? I just told you why they made that decision, I didn't say you'd like it.
    ;) :)

18. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

C'mon who cares!!

i'm just HAPPY that a Vol 2 of YBYL is coming out!!!

19. reechie

Exactly! :righton:

Though it's not a given yet, Volume 3 is already being planned.

Bader says the ultimate goal would be to also do a similar box set featuring various TV appearances by all three brothers. With enough support for the Groucho sets, it could very well happen.

20. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

I'm inclined to say this, whenever I read a comment over-critical of a certain re-mastering engineer's work. :love:

21. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

A question to anyone who may own the set:

On disc one, epidode three, which has the Hollywood border house keeper, my copy does not actually show her and her partner competing. It goes from Groucho talking with them to the final "grand prize" question with another couple. Is this a glitch on all copies?

22. reechie

It works fine on my copy. They choose the "Name That Tune" type-game and win. Sounds like your player is skipping a track. This is one of the episodes that has an outtake included on the disc that you can "branch-in" if you choose, perhaps your player is having some trouble handling this feature.

23. reechie

Shout Factory's web site now has the official line-up of which shows will be on the DVD set. Those of you who were hoping for the Candace Bergen episode have been rewarded, it's the first one on the set:
    http://www.shoutfactory.com/selection/128/You_Bet_Your_Life__The_Best_Episodes_Groucho_Marx.html

You Bet Your Life
    The Best Episodes
    Groucho Marx

Format: DVD
    Catalog No.: D3D 31244
    List Price: $39.98
    Release Date: 07/27/04

“Now it’s time to play You Bet Your Life.”

For 14 years that’s how Groucho Marx concluded his conversations with the 2500 offbeat characters, regular folks and thoroughly unusual people who were contestants on the show. They sang, they danced, they chewed wood and they blew up inner tubes. But when George Fenneman invited them to “come in please, and meet Groucho Marx,” they were immediately relegated to the role of second banana. Even the occasional celebrity guest was merely fodder for the one … the only … GROUCHO!

DISC 1

1. Broadcast Date: May 15, 1958
    Filmed: April 1958
    Secret Word: table
    Episode # 57-34
    Guests: Edgar & Candace Bergen, Melinda Marx

2. Broadcast Date: January 19, 1956
    Filmed: December 5, 1955
    Secret Word: food
    Episode # 55-17
    Guest: Hoot Gibson

3. Broadcast: June 14, 1956