Groucho Marx "You Bet Your Life: The Lost Episodes" DVD 9-23

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by reechie, Sep 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

I mentioned this a few months ago, but now it's been officially announced. If this one sells well, they hope to do more volumes. This is the first authorized video release of Groucho's You Bet Your Life, and as these episodes were never part of the syndication package, they haven't been seen since the 50's.

http://www.shoutfactory.com/press/1...des,f50a2214820447f1679239f74113c15b.html#top

SHOUT! FACTORY TO RELEASE “GROUCHO MARX ‘YOU BET YOUR LIFE’—THE LOST EPISODES” 3 DVD BOX SET SEPTEMBER 23rd

Alisse Kingsley/Rachel Dierks
    Muse Media
    (818) 506-7905
    [email protected]

Los Angeles, California. “Groucho Marx—‘You Bet Your Life’—The Lost Episodes” is the 3-DVD box set that chronicles Marx’s 11 year run on one of the longest running shows in the history of television, “You Bet Your Life.” The box set will be released September 23rd by Shout! Factory and includes 18 episodes of “You Bet Your Life” available on DVD for the first time, almost 40 minutes of hilarious outtakes, Groucho’s audition demo, and show memorabilia that are a Groucho Marx collector’s dream come true. Produced by Paul Brownstein, the episodes were painstakingly restored in conjunction with the film archives at UCLA and are accompanied by a 24-page booklet from noted Groucho historian Robert S. Bader. The release of “The Lost Episodes” marks the first time in nearly fifty years that the majority of these episodes of “You Bet Your Life” will be seen.

Groucho Marx is one of the most memorable, recognized and iconic comedians in history. Marx began his career on stage, worked in film, radio, and television, and appeared in over 26 films including Humorisk and Skidoo. From his memorable role in Animal Crackers to his position hosting the radio version of “You Bet Your Life,” Groucho was known for his theatricality and amazing ability to ad-lib. Marx won a Peabody Award in 1948 for best comedian of the year and was recognized as “the only man on the air who can work without a script and bat off a brilliant succession of witticisms.”

After much canoodling by producer John Guedel, Groucho was finally convinced to make a demo record for “You Bet Your Life” (this rare recording appears on the box set). After three years on radio, the show also began airing on television, where it found amazing success. “You Bet Your Life” remains as one of the longest running shows in television history with 528 episodes. Each show began with the famous line, “Here he is…the one…the only…the Groucho!” The box set “The Lost Episodes” includes approximately 9 hours of the hit show, plus never-before-seen “cutting room floor material.” All material was licensed by Shout! Factory from NBC and Groucho Marx Productions.

“Groucho Marx--‘You Bet Your Life’—The Lost Episodes” is a historical tribute to a man that will live on as an American comedic icon. With bonus material ranging from Marx’s nervous test demo tape for the radio show to the reels of outtakes featured on each disc—previously only shown at the show’s sponsors’ conventions, “Groucho Marx--‘You Bet Your Life’—The Lost Episodes” is a treasure chest for Groucho fans and novices alike.

Shout! Factory is a multi-platform integrated entertainment company that was started by Richard Foos-co-founder of Rhino Records, Bob Emmer-former Warner Music Group and Rhino executive and Garson Foos-former Rhino executive. It focuses on audio music catalog development and pop-culture home video/DVD projects and television properties. Conceived as a broad-based entertainment label, Shout! Factory video and DVD projects range from live music and music documentary programs to offbeat special interest titles ranging from animation to sports content.

www.shoutfactory.com

DVD Title: Groucho Marx—“You Bet Your Life”—The Lost Episodes
    Selection # D3D 32066
    Price: $49.98

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

This is fabulous news! I have dozens of YBYL radio shows on cassette, but nothing beats seeing Groucho's face and doubletakes. I wonder if the Candice Bergen ep will be on this set?

Fennermanmania!

3. reechie

Since I've seen that episode as a part of the old Best Of Groucho re-runs in the 70's syndication package, I'd say no. Only the last few years of the show were syndicated. These DVD's come from the first several seasons, which haven't been run anywhere since their original broadcasts.

You might also be surprised at a slightly different look for these shows. When the shows were syndicated, the films were reframed and zoomed in at different times to hide network logos and sponsor signs on the set, which sometimes caused some rather odd framing. Here, you'll see the program as it was originally filmed and shown.

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Whoohooooo!!!!!!!
    :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie:

5. reechie

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I can't believe they're releasing this. You know, sometimes they just surprise you with niche stuff like this. It's such a nice treat to get something you really, really want.

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Gee, I wonder why YOU would want this, Gookie-meister!:D

8. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Did Groucho have guest stars on this program or was it always John Q./Jane Q. Contestant?

9. reechie

I know a few of the people responsible for this release, and I can tell you, it's a genuine labor of love. They've been working for years at this sort of thing, and they want to do even more. Think of how great it would be to have a DVD set featuring vintage television appearances from Groucho, Harpo and Chico, stuff that hasn't been seen since its original broadcast. That's the ultimate goal here. They're hoping that the Groucho set is just the start.

Sadly though, they're doing it against the odds. The DVD industry generally doesn't want to deal with this sort of thing. They'd rather devote their energies towards things that they know will sell a large amount of copies within a very short time, such as current movies and so forth. That's one of the reasons The Marx Brothers and other vintage comedians are so under-represented in the DVD marketplace. They just don't see those fast, big sales connected to this type of material. Look at Hallmark's attitude towards Laurel and Hardy, for example.

So if you love The Marx Brothers, and you want to see more, get this one, and get it early, so it makes a big sales impression. If the executives see dollar signs coming in from the Groucho set, they'll green light a second volume, and hopefully that TV comp can become a reality as well.

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The aforementioned Candace Bergman appeared on the show as a teenager with Edgar (IIRC). I saw Jack LaLane (sp?) on the show before he was famous. I also remember some sport stars like Don Drysdale.

11. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

No I didn't!
    You got the sp? in the wrong spot. It IS Jack LaLane, but it's not Bergman, it's Bergen.

12. reechie

Most of the time, it was just regular people with interesting jobs, hobbies, or quirks, normally picked right out of the audience. However, often Groucho would welcome a famous guest to play the game. Off the top of my head, I recall people like Sonny Liston, a very young Candace Bergen appearing with her father Edgar Bergen, Phyllis Diller, Bobby Van, Peter Lorrie, even Harpo appeared on his brother's show to promote his autobiography Harpo Speaks.

But often, it was just the average joe from the audience who was the most interesting and/or funny contestant. I haven't seen the contents of the new DVD set (just a few of the bonus extras), but I think someone told me the appearance by Pedro Gonzalez Gonzalez will be a part of the DVD. Gonzalez was an unknown, normal fellow who worked at a radio station when he lucked into a spot on Groucho's show. His appearance was so funny, and attracted so much attention and publicity, that he parlayed it into a fairly successful career as a character actor. The reason wasn't that he was trying to be funny, it was because he was naturally funny. That's why you'll find that some of the most memorable moments from You Bet Your Life came from "John Q./Jane Q. Contestant", not necessarily from a celebrity guest.

I recall one episode where a fellow wearing an Arabian Sheik costume came onstage and began to banter with Groucho about his home country, "Minne-saud". After about ten minutes, Groucho saw through him, and the man admitted that he was a fake, doing his Arabian act at the invitation of George Fenneman, to see if Groucho would catch on to the ruse. He and his partner did quite well at the game, even winning the big money question at the end. The guy's name was Bill Blatty, unknown at the time, but later on, using his full name William Peter Blatty, he wrote The Exorcist.

If you can get ahold of a copy of Groucho and Hector Arce's The Secret Word Is Groucho, you'll find a lot of history and inside stories about You Bet Your Life. For another perspective, try As Long As They're Laughing by the show's director Bob Dwan.

13. stereoptic

My apologies! I'll blame the bad cut and paste on my mouse. ;)

Again, you are correct. At least I spelled your name correctly this time! (I double checked)

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Tor Johnson was also a contestant. Remember him from Ed Wood fame?

Groucho asked how big he was and after Tor finished he said "With those measurements you should be twice as attractive as Marilyn Monroe."

(Don't know if he said Marilyn or someone else. I just needed a name to finish the joke :))

Jack Benny was also on a version of You Bet Your Life. Funny little bit. Jack had very coiffured hair and Groucho asked him "What's your name maam?" After looking around Jack replied Ronald Forsithe. Groucho comes back with "that's funny, it was Reginald during rehearsal." You could see Jack holing back his laughter. It's a great bit. I think it was on Jack Benny's show but it looked like YBYL.

15. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

My company is putting out a limited-run DVD edition of Jack and his daughter Joan on "Password" from May 29,1962 (coupled with a definite "labor of love" restoration of the oldest know daytime "Password" show, from 1/10/66, with Lucille Ball & Gary Morton)...

I don't want to blow a punchline for anyone, but let's just say that the audience got a big kick out of one of the passwords that popped up on Jack's episode... :D

-Kevin

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You're both wrong! It's "LaLanne".

17. reechie

An advance review from http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s948bet.html

Groucho Marx "You Bet Your Life" The Lost Episodes

Reviewed by Glenn Erickson

A newish label called The Shout! Factory has compiled a 3-disc set of what are being called 'lost episodes' from Groucho Marx's long-running television show, You Bet Your Life. Eighteen half-hour episodes are slotted onto the three discs, each annotated with its air date and guests. According to the advance publicity, these particular episodes were never shown after their first airing, never included in resyndication packages. A twenty-page booklet that comes with the set might have more answers, but as Savant was provided with unmarked check discs to review, I'm left with my best guesses.

All in all, Groucho shot 423 of these great shows between 1950 and 1961, after three years of doing much the same thing on the radio. Groucho was delightful on the radio, but the opportunity to use his face (which read well on the crude television monitors of the day) is what makes the difference. Groucho is of course subdued from his years as an anarchic comedy star in the movies, but his face, timing and incredible wit are augmented with the memories of every gag he ever heard in vaudeville.

The format of the show is more plain-wrap than the average public access show. Groucho sits at a desk. The featureless background and the desk bear the current DeSoto or DeSoto-Plymouth ad logo. There are only four camera angles: a closeup on Groucho, two angles on his guest-contestants, and a wide shot. Groucho almost never gets up, and instead nurses a cigar. George Fenneman, the amiable announcer, makes awkward entrances, tries to explain the game rules through Groucho's harassing comments, and hustles the contestants on and off screen.

What makes the shows timelessly wonderful is of course Groucho. Before putting the quiz questions to his guests, he asks them about themselves, kidding them with sly comments, feigned misunderstandings, and clever twisting of their words into strange meanings. He doesn't utilize jokes, per se, so there's really no script. He is the show: the amazing thing for Groucho fans, or students of stand-up comedy, is how Groucho pulls off instantaneous comeback lines that are consistently hilarious and appropriate to the personalities of the his guests. If the guests aren't nervous before he gets to them, they certainly become so while trying to keep up with Groucho's constant good-natured ribbing.

In a comedy juggling act, Groucho keeps his contestants on their toes and makes fun of his show's format, often with merciless comedy jabs at straight man Fenneman. All the while, he charms the studio audience (and us) with his priceless facial reactions and subtle eyebrow language. He crowds the line of 1950s broadcast taste, but is never less than good-natured and always treats his guests well, even if he sometimes reduces them to tears of laughter.

The guests are almost as much fun as Groucho. Looking back from 40-50 years, they're a less a bunch of nervous stiffs shoved out onto the stage than they are real people, the kind that existed before media consciousness divided Americans into celebrities and bozos. If they're composed, Groucho soon has them laughing un-selfconsciously. He pokes fun, but lets them retain their dignity. The unheralded stars of the show are the backstage people who choose these engaging personalities. Whether square, hip, shy or extroverted, they aren't suckers, victims, or fame seekers as we now have on reality shows. We like these people, and Groucho brings them out. One expects to see one's favorite aunt walk on stage.

There are lots of lively, spirited older people - you know, the kind that you can't see on television now. Some of the old birds match Groucho for spunk, actually taking control of the comedy for a moment, as if inhabited by the vengeful spirit of Margaret Dumont. Groucho obviously loves all of them.

Every once in awhile, celebrity guests would be slipped onstage. We get very special peeks at Ernie Kovacs, Art Linkletter, Pedro Gonzalez Gonzalez and a few others. Gonzalez is presented as a driver from a radio station in Texas, but it's obvious that he's a ringer doing an on-air comic audition. He's funny (despite his dumb-Mexican racist act) but not in the same spirit as the rest of the shows.

In college, we watched the reruns to cheer on Groucho's razor wit. George Fenneman became our hero, the way he tries to hide his own personality and sense of humor behind his announcer's professionalism, as if he were covering the Hindenberg disaster and needed to stay on task. Every so often he just loses it under Groucho's harassment, and shoots back a remark, much to his regret. Poor George is Groucho's fall-guy when the show needs enlivening - he can't really give the works to the guests, but there's always George, who can be counted on to become flustered every time Groucho throws a monkey wrench into the format. It's great fun.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Shout! Factory's 3 disc set of Groucho Marx "You Bet Your Life" The Lost Episodes has a nice menu system that lays out each disc's 6 episodes, and each disc's available extras. And there are a bunch of them. Groucho's original audition tape sounds as if he's been doing the show for years already. Each disc has a 'stag reel' of clips excised by the censors. Some of these are innocent-looking head-scratchers, but most have conversations circling around the unspoken subject of sex, while Groucho milks the audience for dirty thoughts. It's all hilarious and incredibly clean. One great clip has Groucho confusing a gorgeous Swedish model who can't follow his meaning. She just stands there with this giant grin, trying to keep her composure as she realizes there's some blue joke afoot that she doesn't understand. It's priceless.

Most of the other extras are sponsor-related. There are no commercials in the show breaks, which is disappointing until one realizes that the vintage spots for the balloony DeSotos are accessible in the special features. The spots are crude and the cars look like 5-ton tanks with giant chromed grilles. One lengthy item meant as a dealer incentive promo has Groucho playing company spokesman and his producer and director telling how the show is filmed, with 8 paired cameras to avoid film runouts. We also learn that Jerry Fielding, future composer of The Wild Bunch , is the show's music coordinator. As the show is done radio style (I get the notion that it might go out at the same time on the radio) the music we hear appears to be live.

The wealth of sponsor material makes us think that the prints (with the original "It's me! Groucho!" opening) may have come from GM, although the shows have NBC copyrights. The print quality and encoding are good to okay. The sound is also adequate. On the 'stag reels' it's much poorer, but we've got our ears peeled for every vocal nuance.

I wish I could read the 20 page booklet. If it's got more information and insights on the show, this might be a definitive collection of 'The Best of Groucho' (one of the re-syndication titles).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a scale of Excellent, Good, Fair, and Poor, Groucho Marx "You Bet Your Life" The Lost Episodes rates:
    Movie: Very Good
    Video: Good, but archival quality
    Sound: Good
    Supplements: 1947 Groucho radio version audition, original commercials, Xmas Promo for DeSoto, The Making of You Bet Your Life for DeSoto (17 min), 20 pg booklet
    Packaging: ? not provided
    Reviewed: September 6, 2003

18. stereoptic

reechie - how spontaneous were Groucho's remarks? Were the questions/answers with the contestants rehearsed? (like the famous "I take my cigar out of my mouth once in a while") Also, what years did the show air on radio, and what years did it air on TV?

thanks

19. reechie

Groucho often said he never met any of the contestants until they stood in front of him on the stage. The contestants were mostly picked out of the audience, and were interviewed by the show's producers to give them some idea of what they could talk to Groucho about. No matter what anyone says, Groucho was a master ad-libber, and pretty much what you heard him say came off the cuff.

Now, Groucho didn't have to do all of this stuff "cold", so to speak. There was an overhead projector in the studio for Groucho to see, kind of like today's teleprompters. Many naysayers have pointed to this, saying that parts of the show were scripted. However, according to people like Fenneman, Bob Dwan and John Guidel, the projector was not used to feed lines to Groucho, but to suggest to Groucho questions he could ask to make the conversation more interesting. For example, someone might write on the projector, "Groucho- ask her about the time she met Elvis Presley", or "Ask the circus strongman if he'd like to blow up an inner-tube on stage". But as far as Groucho's quips, they were off the top of his head.

By the way, that "I take my cigar out of my mouth once in awhile" line has been kind of debated over the years as possibly an urban legend. If it did occur, it never aired. I've never heard a recording of that particular line that was genuinely Groucho...only a poor Groucho imitation on one of those old Kermit Schaeffer blooper albums. I've heard an outtake soundtrack from a promotional DeSoto/Plymouth record of Groucho interviewing a woman who'd had a large number of children, but that particular line isn't in there. Still it depends on who you ask from the people involved with the show whether or not he said it...some say they heard it, others didn't.

I don't have my books here with me, but I'll see if I can get close here. You Bet Your Life started on ABC Radio in 1947, moving to CBS after two seasons. It was picked up for television broadcast in 1950, moving to NBC after a bidding war (an infamous story has Groucho choosing NBC after CBS's William Paley tried to bring their shared Jewish heritage into play while bargaining). The show ran on both radio and television until 1957. The TV version ran until 1961, changing its name to The Groucho Show in its final season. A short-lived sequel was attempted the next year, called Tell It To Groucho, and in 1965, a British version simply titled Groucho also failed to catch on. Those re-runs you've seen as The Best Of Groucho stem from NBC's re-titled repeats from the last five years of the series.

I'm sure Rob Bader's liner notes will explain a lot of this much more accurately than I could. I'm looking forward to reading them myself.

20. stereoptic

thanks for all of the info. I've heard so many conflicting stories about the ad-lib remarks, it's good that you finally set the record straight for me.

Now I am beginning to doubt myself. I really thought that I saw the clip with Groucho quoting the infamous cigar line on some special long ago.

21. RDK

RDK Active Member

Kevin, please give us a reminder when this is available. It sounds interesting...

22. reechie

23. stereoptic

thanks, reechie. snopes does it again. AlLthough, they state that Grouch was coached and prepared himself before the show. :confused:

24. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Isn't something like this on the YBYL outtakes on the Unknown Marx Bros. DVD?

{EDIT}Oh, I remember what his comment was. He was talking to a guy with a large family who was expecting another kid and he Groucho something to the effect of "The man doesn't even let it cool down before he starts up again."

25. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

They explain this on the Unknown Marx Bros. DVD. They said Groucho knew the stories and oddities of the guests but was only prepared for the initial conversation. Wherever it went after that was up to Groucho. So it was both written and improvised. They even showed the overhead projector used but there's no way to have comments prepared for anything that could be said. Groucho had incredible ad lib skills, which is why he's a legend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.