Group-buy for Barry Diament-style vibration isolation roller bearings

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by azpaint, Nov 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azpaint

azpaint New Member Thread Starter

(I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum/location)

For those that are not aware, Barry Diament of Barry Diament Audio has a rather low cost way approach at vibration isolation involving bicycle inner tubes and roller bearings for a vibration isolation system.

Barry's website discussing the topic:
    http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm
    Discussion of these devices and Barry's designs here on the forums:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ent-and-other-speaker-isolation-gurus.154013/

I thought I would post in here to see what kind of interest there would be for a group-buy of custom machined cups/bowls for use in this kind of application.

I have access to a professional CNC machine shop and the required tools to make these and for cost purposes, making more pieces lowers the cost per piece (this is my personal benefit from doing it as a group-buy sort of thing).

Plan- following the general recommendations of Barry and others:
    7075 Aluminum
    1 1/2" (1.5") diameter
    1/8" (.125") deep bowl
    1/2" (.5") thick/tall
    Polished to mirror finish
    1/2" Chromium chrome steel bearings

Disclaimer:
    I would not be doing this in commercial interest. I do not have any professional affiliation or plan to sell these outside of a forum setting. I simply want to have enough made for my own use and if others would be interested in getting some as well, it lowers the cost/piece for everyone involved.

If I can get 72 pieces made the estimated material + machining cost comes out to about $15/piece. I am planning on 36 for my own use which means I would need to have people lined up for 36 more at this price.
    $15/piece ($45 per set of 3) + shipping.
    Would this be of interest to anyone?

FledTetcher and grandegi like this.
  2. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

I made my own DIY isolation system but I'd be happy to get the real "Hip Joints" as per Barry's design. So I'd be interested, although I would have to check shipping cost to Italy.

3. FledTetcher

FledTetcher New Member

azpaint - I'd be interested if the offer still stands, I'd take 24

4. olson

olson Forum Resident

If you check you will see that azpaint was last seen here on Nov 6, 2015, don't get your hopes up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.